Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to go from 420 to 450?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 12:35
I took my first GMATPrep practice test today without studying and scored a 420, which is just short of the 450 that I need. One of my friends has lent me the Manhattan GMAT books and OG 13th guide. My question is if I'm taking the test on the 27th what should I study to get my score up what it needs to be? My quantitative is horrible (I mostly guessed on these questions).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 995 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
newyorkcitybob wrote:
I took my first GMATPrep practice test today without studying and scored a 420, which is just short of the 450 that I need. One of my friends has lent me the Manhattan GMAT books and OG 13th guide. My question is if I'm taking the test on the 27th what should I study to get my score up what it needs to be? My quantitative is horrible (I mostly guessed on these questions).

Hi newyorkcitybob,

If your target is 450 and you currently stand at 420, then you have enough time to score a 450 or even better. For 450 you need good (not thorough) understanding of basic concepts. The books your friend has lent are the best books available in the market for GMAT. As you have only one month for your prep I will suggest you to first understand you weak areas in both quant and verbal. If you have guessed most of the questions in quant then you have to go through the quant comprehensively. The better option would be to first go through the basic concepts from the MGMAT guides and if you have some time left, you can browse through the advanced topics. Take another GMAT Prep/ any other test two weeks from now, you will be able to score > or = 450. All the best !!

Hope this helps

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:
newyorkcitybob wrote:

Hi newyorkcitybob,

If your target is 450 and you currently stand at 420, then you have enough time to score a 450 or even better. For 450 you need good (not thorough) understanding of basic concepts. The books your friend has lent are the best books available in the market for GMAT. As you have only one month for your prep I will suggest you to first understand you weak areas in both quant and verbal. If you have guessed most of the questions in quant then you have to go through the quant comprehensively. The better option would be to first go through the basic concepts from the MGMAT guides and if you have some time left, you can browse through the advanced topics. Take another GMAT Prep/ any other test two weeks from now, you will be able to score > or = 450. All the best !!

Hope this helps

What chapters should I focus on in the quant books and verbal books? I have two weeks left but I'm doing nothing but studying for the majority of the day and taking 30 min breaks and longer between learning concepts.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [1] , given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would focus on Arithmetic in the Quant and whatever you feel you can improve in the Verbal.
You can do it in 2 weeks!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 95

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
Utilize the resources here on GMAT Club. I HIGHLY suggest reading Quant posts in which GMAT Club Expert Bunuel has posted a reply. Here's the link to his profile page. members/member-73391.html Check out the resources linked to in his signature.

Let us know how you do!

I do not beg for kudos.

2 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [2] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
A topic you can skip on if you are too short on time is counting theory (permutations & combinations).. If you are new to the concept and don't have time, it would be too much work for too few questions...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 03:51
bb wrote:
I would focus on Arithmetic in the Quant and whatever you feel you can improve in the Verbal.

Would you recommend I buy the MGMAT Math Foundations Book?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
newyorkcitybob wrote:
bb wrote:

You sound like me, poor in Quant, the foundation book for sure its a good base, as recommended to me by bb
Can I assume you are heading to Marist? As Im looking to do their online MBA starting Jan 14, Im looking to do my GMAT Dec 13 as I finish my BSc Bus Admin Sept 13 then spend 3 months studying

I am getting brunel's Quant questions every day as its great practice and shows you questions and how to answer them as the GMAT is all about timing so to take out the ones that arent the answers means you have less chance of getting questions wrong doing so in less time

Good luck, you get the foundations down you will be good
Intern
Intern

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 16:13
AussieinNY wrote:
newyorkcitybob wrote:
bb wrote:

You sound like me, poor in Quant, the foundation book for sure its a good base, as recommended to me by bb
Can I assume you are heading to Marist? As Im looking to do their online MBA starting Jan 14, Im looking to do my GMAT Dec 13 as I finish my BSc Bus Admin Sept 13 then spend 3 months studying

I am getting brunel's Quant questions every day as its great practice and shows you questions and how to answer them as the GMAT is all about timing so to take out the ones that arent the answers means you have less chance of getting questions wrong doing so in less time

Good luck, you get the foundations down you will be good

I want to focus on the easy-medium difficulty questions, since I have no time nor motivation to learn the harder questions. I have noticed the later problems in the problem solving chapter of the OG are the hard ones.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 10:45
I took the MGMAT CAT exam today and scored a 470 (Quantitative Estimated Percentile went up 12 points) and my verbal is around the same level that it was the previous test. A question I have is: should I take the exam on the 1st or 6th? I talked to my school's admission counselor and he told me to go ahead and take it on either date but it will take about 3 weeks for the scores to arrive (I think he stated the processing time on the mba website). School starts on the 26th, and I'm leaning towards taking it on the 6th. That will leave my school with a window of 20 days to get the official scores so that they can admit me.

MGMAT 470 (Q29, V27)
MGMAT 490 (Q33. V 25)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261260946931?ss ... 1555.l2649

Last edited by newyorkcitybob on 08 Aug 2013, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to go from 420 to 450? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 08:09
Thanks guys I got a 520 on the GMAT. Q33, V27. Didn't study any verbal at all and did the foundations book plus all the easy difficulty questions and some of the medium in OG guide.
Re: How to go from 420 to 450?   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2013, 08:09