Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 07:10
I took the gmat yesterday and scored a dismal 600 (39Q, 32V). I am by no means trying to get into a top 10 school. Im primarily trying to get into Robert H. Smith( university of maryland) and Georgetown. The average Gmat for these schools tend to fall in the mid-600s. I need some advice and tips on the best way to allocate my study time over the next 5 weeks. I plan on retaking the test early january to meet my deadlines. While I'm aiming for a 700+ score, I would be completely be satisfied with at least a 670.

I also wanted to note that I took the test 1 week after completing a Manhattan GMAT course.

For some reference: I am an african american male who will have 3 years of professional consulting experience at a big 4 consulting firm by fall 2014. I have received a number of performance rewards from my company and have strong ECs as it is a job requirement.

Timing was not really an issue for me on the test as I was a able to finish all sections of the test with time to spare.

Any advice on study habits or tools I should take advantage of to boost my score by at least 70 points??

Thank you in advance!!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
How much were you scoring in your practice CAT's? And many of these practice CATs did you take? To me your quant score looks very low. You can easily get it up to a 44-45 which should pull your overall score close to 650.

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 06:05
Ajax1 wrote:
How much were you scoring in your practice CAT's? And many of these practice CATs did you take? To me your quant score looks very low. You can easily get it up to a 44-45 which should pull your overall score close to 650.

I only took two CATs and they were both very low. 520 n the first and 580 on the second. Any tips for quickly improving my math score?
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 54

Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 20:59
to improve your quant score.
1) Solve all the quant questions which went wrong ..again and again and again.. till you do them within 1 min....
because that is what your weakness is

Go through this...

best-gmat-quant-concepts-note-a-must-have-143278.html#p1299313

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 654 [0], given: 6

Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 09:09
Expert's post
Look for patterns and booby traps in the questions that you got wrong. For example, are you getting a lot of exponent questions wrong in data sufficiency? Take a look at the positive/even exponent booby trap and make note of it.

Are you getting sum of sequence questions wrong? Then review exercises related to sum of sequence for various ranges of numbers.

Getting word problems - specifically rate ones wrong? Go back and do exercises related to rates -- people leaving 2 stations walking towards each other---people walking away from each other---one walking north, the other walking east forming a right triangle, etc.

Learn from the various permutations of the same questions through identify core concepts and doing variations around that core question. We teach variations on core concepts in our course. But you can also practice a few questions on your own here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 07:07
Expert's post
I agree with GMAT Pill's advice about examining what questions you got incorrect in the sim test.

We've actually been talking about the best way to learn from sim tests here in our office and just created a blog post today about it:

After you take a simulation test (sim test), don’t forget to debrief! You can improve your study strategy immensely by simply debriefing after each simulation test. Debriefing means taking the time to examine your score assessment and using the information to develop a strategic plan for improving your score.

You should conduct a debriefing soon after each test while the test questions are still fresh in your mind. A good debriefing can take almost as long as the test itself.

After you complete a sim test with Economist GMAT Tutor, visit your learning dashboard to receive a breakdown of your score and get a sense of your areas of strength and weakness.

Look at each question in your score assessment carefully, and determine why you answered it correctly or not. If you answered it incorrectly, what could you have done differently? It’s no use making sweeping statements like “I will pay more attention during studying.” It’s much more valuable to tell yourself tips like “I must remember to plug in negative and positive numbers in inequalities.”

Also, take a look at your time management strategy. Which types of questions took longer? On which questions did you spend too little time?

Another tip: look for recurring patterns within each test. Do your areas of weakness remain the same from test to test? If so, you may not be reviewing these topics properly. This may be a sign that you should schedule a one-to-one tutor session about this subject.

Don’t forget to document your debriefing sessions so you can read your notes before your next simulation test. Good luck!

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: How to Improve 600 score in a month. 39Q 32V   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2013, 07:07