Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: How to improve from 540? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If we look at your mock scores, they show a clear lack of understanding of fundamentals.
1. Did you complete the tests? Not completing the test attracts a huge penalty and can be attributed towards your low score.

Treat bygones as bygones and start a fresh. Take out those books/course material that you have been following and go through the concepts again. You can improve a lot from Q41 and V23. The 2 months that you have before the test should be enough for you to achieve your target score. You can buy the Exam Pack 1 and 2 and the Question Pack 1 from mba.com for additional practice.

1. Have you complete the OG and the Verbal Review?
2. Did you prepare an error log?

Try to drill down deep in each problem type

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again you can break down the problems in different topics such as Algebra, Number Systems, Geometry etc.

You need to find out what troubles you the most and then practice questions from those topics.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
How to improve from 540? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear junayet,

Thank you for trusting e-GMAT with your GMAT preparation needs.

Junayet, as you prepare for GMAT, please do keep in mind that success on the GMAT comes from a combination of knowledge of concepts and application. My guess is that you have only focused on learning the concepts. You have not focused on learning the process for the questions. Books can teach you the concepts but do a very poor job of teaching you the application. So, you need to pay close attention to the mastery of process/approach for each section.

A student should also know how to apply the learned concepts properly to ace the GMAT. In the actual exam, tricks and shortcuts tend to fail and students with a proper approach to the questions succeed.This is what we do at e-GMAT. We teach our students a foolproof process that starts with building your core skills at the conceptual stage and then following application-based approach to solve GMAT questions.

Have a look at the following links to understand

Richa:Improved from 470 to 720 ( 250 points Jump) https://bit.ly/1Nw3Yw6
Sure:Improved from 470 to 740 (270 points Jump) https://bit.ly/1XUhbiV
Nikhil: Improved from V19 (19 percentile) to V38 (85 percentile) https://bit.ly/nikhilss

Here is what I suggest you to do now.

Go through the recording of GMAT Strategy Session 1

Here is the direct link to the recording of the session: https://bit.ly/1reNWgq.

This session will help you define you GMAT strategy and create your own study plan. In this session you will learn the following:

1) How does GMAT Scoring work, especially the facts and myths about GMAT scoring.
2) How to devise your GMAT strategy based on your personal profile.
3) Why mastering core skills is important to ace the GMAT.
4) What are the core skills that you need to master to ace the GMAT.

Attend the SC webinar on the Weekend

Do attend our Sentence Correction webinar over the weekend (01st May, 2016| Sunday | 7 AM Pacific or 7:30 PM IST). Click here to register for the session: https://bit.ly/1XUj6E3.

This webinar to learn how focusing on Meaning and Logic can help you tackle every Sentence Correction Question with ease. You'll also understand the importance of core skills and process I have explained above in this session.

Hope this helps. Let me know in case of any questions.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi junayet,

With 2 months of additional study time, you can improve your scores a great deal, but you're going to have to be efficient with your studies. If you're not sure how best to proceed, then it's likely that your current resources don't provide the proper structure you need to stay organized and focus on the content and Tactics that matter the most.

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To Janielle Williams
( I can't quote as I am a new member)
Thanks!
I have finished the mocks within time and did not leave any question unanswered. However, I had little time to solve the last few questions and had to answer without even eyeballing. I finished the Official guide only but not the review. You are right. When a faced certain questions, I knew the process but the it did not come out my head instatntly. I maintain an error log.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Kudos
Practice and learn from your mistakes ...
GMAT Club Bot