Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve GMAT verbal from 30 to 40+ within a month?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

How to improve GMAT verbal from 30 to 40+ within a month? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 08:58
Hi GMAT Club Members,

My last GMAT practice test score is 650 (Q48 V30). I'm looking for strategies to improve my verbal score from 30 to 40+. I will be taking my official GMAT 3 weeks from now. Just wondering how I should strategically allocate my time to improve verbal section? I'm taking time off work for the next few weeks in order to fully commit myself to improve my verbal score and aim for 700+. The problem I have with verbal is that I ran out of time for the exam. I spent almost 2/3 of my time finishing my first half of the verbal questions and 1/3 on the rest. I got most of the first half of the verbal questions right, however because I was running out of time I was guessing the second half mostly and got most of them wrong. I appreciate any advice you have to offer on study and test taking strategy. Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: How to improve GMAT verbal from 30 to 40+ within a month? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 18:32
One verbal test-taking strategy that I think saves a good amount of time is something that's suggested in the Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible. Before you start the verbal section, make a chart on your scratch paper with A-E columns and 1-37 rows with lines in between. When you go through each problem, write an L for "loser" in the space for any answer choices that definitely aren't correct. Write a C for "contender" in the space for answer choices that seem like they might be right. If you do this, then you won't have to go back through bad answer choices and waste time (meaning you won't re-read the "L" answer choices). Doing this saved me probably 15 seconds or so on each problem, so it was definitely worth it for me.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75217

Re: How to improve GMAT verbal from 30 to 40+ within a month? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 12:18
Another even more (slightly) efficient method is, instead of "L" and "C"... Simply put an "X" in the space for the bad choices you eliminate off the bat and leave the contenders blank... Then when you go back you can simply compare the non-eliminated answer choices. But yeah that whole table idea will save you at least 10 minutes on the actual exam and help you avoid confusion...
Re: How to improve GMAT verbal from 30 to 40+ within a month?   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2011, 12:18