Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 02:34
So I am doing decently well in quant and I have made a great progress over the time of studying. However, now I feel I have hit a brick wall. I have a very hard time to get over 45 on official GMAT prep and I am a little worried.

I have all the MGMAT strategy guides with the advanced quant guide and access to MGMAT online CATs. I also have 12th and 13th edition OG with quant and verbal reviews. I feel that I have a great understanding of all the guides and concepts but for some reason I cannot score higher.

What do I have to change in my approach to improve further? Please, I could really use an advice from someone who has experience with this :?

Or I simply need to do a ton of problems?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
I had the exact same problem. :)

One member suggested me to complete Sackman's Challenge set. After I have gone through the 1000 questions, my GPrep score went 49-50. Although on MCATs I still can't get over 45, but those are harder anyway. At this moment I'm doing the GClub Tests and Manhattan Challenge set, and I don't think these will help you. Although the Advanced Quant guide is helpful... tactics that I wished I knew earlier so that I could internalize them sooner.

It was suggested by AbhiJ while I was crying for help in http://gmatclub.com/forum/3-month-studying-no-improvement-advice-needed-139446.html

I don't think it HAS to be the this set, but these are very good. Most noticeably, it decreased my careless errors.
Manager
Manager

Re: How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 03:57
Yeah, I do make careless error as well and that is perhaps my biggest weakness. So you are suggesting that marathon practice is the key to prevent such errors? BTW, do you get explanations as well with Jeff Sackmann's challenge set?

It kind of makes sense to go for it. I am sitting here right now and really have no clue what to do. I went through everything I have and it would become boring to go over all of it again. And it would not be as challenging.
Manager
Manager

Re: How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 04:41
oh and one more thing, why do you think that Manhattan set and GMATClub problems would not help as much as the Jeff Sacksmann's set?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Baracuda123 wrote:
So you are suggesting that marathon practice is the key to prevent such errors?
It was for me. It also cemented some concepts and processes by doing these questions how the Manhattan guides tells you to. I particularly don't like the explanations for rate and two overlapping set problems. I use the methods from Manhattan for these.

Baracuda123 wrote:
BTW, do you get explanations as well with Jeff Sackmann's challenge set?
You do.

Baracuda123 wrote:
And it would not be as challenging.
I did not find the set THAT challenging, even the extreme set. Ironic. At times I even thought it was a wast of time. Nonetheless, my score did go up to Q50 right after I finished the set. I don't know what is at work, but reviewing the CAT I do notice my careless errors (i.e.: "that was stupid of me") go way down.

Baracuda123 wrote:
oh and one more thing, why do you think that Manhattan set and GMATClub problems would not help as much as the Jeff Sacksmann's set?
In my opinion they are way too hard. I may be wrong though, maybe harder questions is what you need. Many even suggest GMATClub for 45 to 48. There is a free test from GMATClub, so test it out for yourself.
Re: How to improve in Quant from 45 to around 48?   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 08:34