Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 09:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to improve my score in one month.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 20:22
Hi everyone,
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 360... :cry: can you believe it? just horrible... and that is the result of one month of studying. I really don't think I know how to study for it. I plan to take it in 4 weeks and I really need to score at least 600. Would it be possible to raise more than 200 points in 4 weeks if I really dedicate my time into it? say.. 7-8 hours per day?
I really need some advice on how to improve my score in just about one month and really need a study plan.
Thank you. I will wait for your responses. :!:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 35

Premium Member
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, if you plan to study for more than 5 hours a day, then believe you your preparation may prove out to counter productive.Limit your study time to 5 hours a day and take a day off in a week. I think the part where we get the GMAT wrong is that we think that the GMAT is our end semester exam wherein by studying for as many hours as possible, you'll get the desired score. That is simply not gonna happen because the GMAT is not a test wherein you'll be tested on a particular set of questions as in the case of your end semester exam .You have to give your mind enough free time that it is able to "connect the dots" ie. it is able to synthesize whatever you have studied.
A 360 on the GMAT means that you have probably bombed both the Verbal and the Quant sections. The first thing I'd advise you to do is divide the next month in blocks of study period ,devoting 3-4 days to one area so that you are able to become reasonaly competent in that area by doing a focused study. To suggest the right course of action you need to tell us more:
How good were your concepts when you prepared? Which all books did you prepare ? How much were you getting in your practise tests? Which areas did you find daunting and which areas did you feel comfortable in? The answer to the questions above will really help you chart out the right strategy so that you don't end up getting the same score the next time around.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 14:08
we all start somewhere, so don't beat yourself up on your score. i think test strategies should be molded to the person, but the best advice i can give is to don't settle - keep pushing yourself even when you're sleepy, tired, etc.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Never say never.

Embody the meaning of your username "positivethinking."

As you study, make sure you are actually internalizing what you learn. In other words, if you do a set of 10 questions that you got wrong yesterday, will you get 10/10 correct even if you saw what the answer and explanation was?

If you're not "progressing"--then break down questions into smaller lots. Take any two questions that you got wrong 15 minutes ago. Now try attempt them. As you repeat wrong questions in small lots of 2---then gradually towards 10, you'll see that you will be making "progress." More tips on how to "do" GMAT questions.

As for study plans for 4 weeks---we actually have a program dedicated to a 4 week study schedule for busy professionals. Feel free to take a look and see if it fits your style.

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 15:25
is it adviceable to do a 4 weeks self prep for the gmat or this would prove to be unwise?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ashkanator wrote:
is it adviceable to do a 4 weeks self prep for the gmat or this would prove to be unwise?

It's possible, but certainly not easy. It all depends on how competitive you want to be and how well you typically do on these kinds of exams.

Only you can tell how well you normally do on standardized exams that test reasoning, math, and writing skills. Try to take a look at your previous standardized exam scores as a benchmark for how you might fare on the GMAT exam.

If you scored above 90th percentile on the SAT in both/all sections, you might be OK with self-studying to get above the 80th percentile mark on the GMAT--as long as you put in the effort. If you haven't done well in past standardized exams--well, you probably shouldn't expect a super stellar score on the GMAT either.

Obviously, you need to consider lots of different factors. For example, the SAT is taken by almost every high school student in the United States. The GMAT is taken only by those who are seriously considering business school. So the applicant pool with the GMAT exam is certainly more competitive---and global.

If you find someone to teach you how to think differently and more effectively on the GMAT---you could see significant improvement. For some that means browsing these forums. For others, it means taking a course or finding a private tutor. Only you know the learning style that fits you best.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 18:32
gmatpill wrote:
ashkanator wrote:

It's possible, but certainly not easy. It all depends on how competitive you want to be and how well you typically do on these kinds of exams.

Only you can tell how well you normally do on standardized exams that test reasoning, math, and writing skills. Try to take a look at your previous standardized exam scores as a benchmark for how you might fare on the GMAT exam.

If you scored above 90th percentile on the SAT in both/all sections, you might be OK with self-studying to get above the 80th percentile mark on the GMAT--as long as you put in the effort. If you haven't done well in past standardized exams--well, you probably shouldn't expect a super stellar score on the GMAT either.

Obviously, you need to consider lots of different factors. For example, the SAT is taken by almost every high school student in the United States. The GMAT is taken only by those who are seriously considering business school. So the applicant pool with the GMAT exam is certainly more competitive---and global.

If you find someone to teach you how to think differently and more effectively on the GMAT---you could see significant improvement. For some that means browsing these forums. For others, it means taking a course or finding a private tutor. Only you know the learning style that fits you best.

i already took the LSAT and got 171, and my understanding is that the verbal part is very similar to LSAT and i should really get myself ready for the math part.... so i want to see if i can get that done in a bout a month?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 19:41
Personally, I think studying 7-8 hours straight is not a good idea. There is more chance of getting fatigued and stressed out that way. Whatever your study plan may be, remember to take a short break every 2 hours (if possible!). Try to enjoy studying because only then the stuff you are trying to remember will actually sink in to your memory.

It is just an exam and you went through it once already. I am sure that you will hit your target score this time.

All the best!!!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 11:44
thanks much for the input... i will see to it that i do make it an enjoyable experience....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 12:16
OG guides, MGMAT for Quant, RC99, Aristotle SC grail, and more OG!!!!

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 14:49
If you have the means, maybe signing up for a class would help? They could IMO offer a structured study plan - in addition to tuition - that you can base your own off-class study time upon.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: how to improve my score in one month. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 21:47
shuenhon wrote:
If you have the means, maybe signing up for a class would help? They could IMO offer a structured study plan - in addition to tuition - that you can base your own off-class study time upon.

base on my own experience, most prep classes are not that helpful [consideration here being: the individual is already motivated to begin with], i think people could do better on their own with the usage of the course books... the whole idea of not being spoon fed, will lead to more curiosity and more in debt understanding of the material... and in case there are things one have questions about, he or she could ask about them in the forum....
Re: how to improve my score in one month.   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 21:47