Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Improve RC!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 7

How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 02:52
Hi ,
I hear from a lot of people that RC is the most scoring section in Verbal , but i have been performing bad in RC consistently. Can anyone suggest something that has worked well in the past ??
Help will be much appreciated !!
Thanks

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 03:07
RC is the most scoring section of the verbal for those who are voracious readers with reading speed of 350 WPM(newspaper stuff not GMAT RC where the speed would be around 250-300WPM). Get your hands on MGMAT RC and practice questions from OG 13/OG V2. For a passage having 7 question give 14 mins to read the passage and answer the questions. Basically 2 mins/question including reading. If your accuracy is less than 75% then you would need a more long term approach involving reading 20 non fiction books. However experts like GMATNinja, Vercules, Bb might give you a better answer for long term approach.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 992 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
I hear from a lot of people that RC is the most scoring section in Verbal , but i have been performing bad in RC consistently. Can anyone suggest something that has worked well in the past ??
Thanks

Hi Shikhar,

To answer your first point, RC is not the most scoring section in Verbal. In fact none of the sections is the most scoring. There is no demarcation by GMAT on the question type. The number of questions and their difficulty level would determine your score. Please see the extensive GMATPrep testing results in the link below.

gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html#p1171779

The good news is that you can really improve your RC if you have a focused preparation. For RC different people find different strategies helpful. Try a few strategies.

Please visit the post below in which I have responded to several queries on RC.

help-required-on-rc-146921.html#p1179850

If you still have a doubt on how to approach RC, then provide me with the following details. Answers to these questions would allow me to understand the specific issues that you are facing.

How long have you been preparing for GMAT, especially the verbal sections and which study material/ questions have you solved?
What strategies have you tried so far?
How is your performance and level of understanding in SC and CR?
If you have taken a practice test, what is your Verbal score and total score? Or how would you rate your general verbal ability?
How are your reading habits? How frequently do you read standard English material?

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3039 [0], given: 890

Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 11:30
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks

Well you are probably right but in a different way:
Why RC might just end up being the most scoring section
Lets look at it this way. Suppose you are into technology and you got a RC passage based on Apple and the new iPad mini that they are making. Obviously you are completely into the passage and your comprehension skills and off the charts.
But on the other hand if you get a feminist rights passage? EW! Not so much!

So it depends on how you comprehend a passage. Comprehension is the MOST essential trait to master if you want to ace Reading comprehension passages.
There are 2 types of RC tactics - Skim or Read thoroughly!
I like skimming but NOT skipping.
I stop after every paragraph and do a 10-15 secs reflection on what was the value added by that paragraph and it REALLY helps
For this method check out this video by e-GMAT

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:54
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks

The key to RC is to know when to focus and not to focus as much - thereby increasing your skimming speed. Improving in RC is not easy to read about. In other words, it's difficult to improve your reading skills by reading about how to do so.

We think a video based approach is best - take a look at this link and see if it helps:

http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: How to Improve RC!! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 23:06
shikhar wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks

Hi shikhar,

This is an excerpt from my own debrief.

RC:

Well, IMO RC’s are simply long CR’s. You are given information and you’ll be asked questions about it. However, there would be no specific question type associated with RC’s except for the ones that ask you to identify the ‘main point of the author’.

There is only one way to move forward - read the passage. Avoid reading the questions and then looking for answers in the passage. You would not get any bonus points if the passage belongs to any of your comfort areas. So what if the passage is on “the adoption of western classical music by Eastern musicians during the era of King Louis XVI”. Even if you are a classical musician and know its history inside out your answers have to be strictly based on the passage. You cannot give an answer based your own knowledge of the subject, else you might mess up.

Going back to approach - I had devised my own approach for tackling RC’s.

I used to converse with them. Imagine you are sitting at a table in a restaurant somewhere in, say, Mexico and this gentleman arrives and starts a conversation with you. Suppose he tells you –

Linda Kerber argued in the mid-
1980’s that after the American Revolution
(1775-1783), an ideology of “republican
Line motherhood” resulted in a surge of edu-
(5) cational opportunities for women in the
United States
.”

You: Oh! I didn’t know that, tell me more...

Kerber maintained that
the leaders of the new nation wanted
women to be educated in order to raise
politically virtuous sons. A virtuous citi-
(10) zenry was considered essential to the
success of the country’s republican form
of government; virtue was to be instilled
not only by churches and schools, but
by families, where the mother’s role
(15) was crucial.

You: So Kerber in a way was trying to promote the role of women in instilling virtues. Hmm.. interesting(although it might not be as interesting as the address of Agent Smith to Morpheus while the latter was tied to a chair and the former was comparing human beings to viruses, you simply will have to listen to this RC). So how was it received by the public?

And so on..

After each para, just pause for a bit, summarize what all information is given. Note it down on a piece of paper. These notes should be as precise as possible.

You: so basically, in the first para you are saying bla bla bla..

<repeat this for the rest of the paragraphs>

I found this approach to be good for such passages which did not interest me at all.

For the passages which were from areas familiar to me, I would simply read the passage without complicating things.

I used to try applying the above-mentioned approach while reading editorials from ‘The Hindu’(an Indian newspaper).
Re: How to Improve RC!!   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 23:06