Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve RC ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 00:16
Main exam is on May 23rd, still I am struggling with RC. :(
If I get a passage with easy vocabulary and sentence framing, I get almost all questions right (i.e, accuracy is in between 90 & 100% :-D ).
But, if I get a passage with hard vocabulary or sentences,which are long and tough, I can't understand it in 6-7 min. Even, if i understand the passage to some extent, I won't be confident enough to attack questions. So,I become nervous :( and inorder to complete RC in target time(6-8 min), I answer all questions without comprehending passage completely and I get almost all answers wrong.
So Briefly,
1. How to improve vocabulary in 1 month? :?:
2. What should I do if I don't understand the passage in time of 3-5 min? (If i extend time, I would face problem with the later questions and I ll loose my whole exam by answering all questions hastily).
3. Please explain various strategies to attack RC.(except the method of taking quick notes :!: ).
4. My Quant score is good. I improved a lot in SC and CR, I can complete them in 1-1:30 min & 1:30- 2 min respectively with 70- 90% accuracy. Still I am practicing to get 100 % in both of them 8-) . So, because of RC, I am loosing confidence,now I am planning to postpone exam for 20 days, so that I can improve my RC and attack the exam. Please let me know if I am making a good decision?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [0], given: 165

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 20:55
Expert's post
Apollo22 wrote:
If I get a passage with easy vocabulary and sentence framing, I get almost all questions right (i.e, accuracy is in between 90 & 100% :-D ).
But, if I get a passage with hard vocabulary or sentences,which are long and tough, I can't understand it in 6-7 min. Even, if i understand the passage to some extent, I won't be confident enough to attack questions. So,I become nervous :( and inorder to complete RC in target time(6-8 min), I answer all questions without comprehending passage completely and I get almost all answers wrong.
So Briefly,
2. What should I do if I don't understand the passage in time of 3-5 min? (If i extend time, I would face problem with the later questions and I ll loose my whole exam by answering all questions hastily).
3. Please explain various strategies to attack RC.(except the method of taking quick notes :!: ).
4. My Quant score is good. I improved a lot in SC and CR, I can complete them in 1-1:30 min & 1:30- 2 min respectively with 70- 90% accuracy. Still I am practicing to get 100 % in both of them 8-) . So, because of RC, I am loosing confidence,now I am planning to postpone exam for 20 days, so that I can improve my RC and attack the exam. Please let me know if I am making a good decision?

It's normal to lose accuracy when faced with a tough looking passage because of two reasons - it's harder to understand if we don't get all the words and our mind tends to wander if we are reading something but not really 'getting' it. The only solution is that you should try to identify the subject areas which you find hard to read history/geography/politics/business/biological sciences whatever and then try and read as much as possible on those areas.
Also, when faced with a tough scientific/economic passage, focus not on the data given but on the structure i.e. A is responsible for B when C happens etc... Ignore the exact terminology. Try to get a picture of the entire passage and then answer questions to the best of your ability. You can go back to the passage whenever you need the exact terms to answer a question. Do not spend too much time on one question else your entire time management will go for a spin.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 10:20
Though u have got advise frm karishma wat to do n wat nt...a humble advise....pls , pls dnt stake 37 question fr one odd rc...wich u may face while u r half way thru...its cum on tactics f gmat....i dnt say that u give uppp...bt dnt give more than 8 mins...dnt go on hunt fr a dinosaur, u might have hunted one in past...but it is a challenging task...one month is frankly nt sufficient...its time build ur confidence.....focus on thn wich are easily gettable...nw.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 03:50
Thank u karishma & others for replying.

I decided to postpone exam for 20-25 days. I ll start practicing particular topics in RC until I get 90-100% accuracy in RC. Also I ll do the same for SC & CR, then ll give an attempt in June. :) 8-)

I have some more doubts :!: :
1. I can solve problems of <700 level with 90 -100% accuracy in Manhattan Quant books & tests, but when it comes to 700-800 level problems, my accuracy level drops to 60-80%. I just want to know If I solve MGmat Advanced Quant book thoroughly, will I cover almost all 700-800 level problems easily in Main GMAT exam? ( I have to get 50 in Quant 8-) )
2. I am practicing questions from many online resources: Manhattan, Kaplan, other PDFs- 1000SC etc. How can i know whether the questions from these sources will repeat in Gmat Prep exam :( ? Can you list me what materials should I practice and what not, so that I wont get practiced questions while solving Gmat prep exam ? ( Since, practiced questions would tamper my GmatPrep score :( )
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [0], given: 185

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 16:39
Expert's post
Apolo22 - You have nailed the problem down - you need to understand the intent of the passage, and key transitions that are listed. To do that you need to be able to understand complex sentence structures and sometimes to do that you have to infer the meaning of words. The lecture below shows how to do the same. Go through the lecture below to understand how to approach RC. Take the e-GMAT free trial to master Main Point questions.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 22:01
Expert's post
Apollo22 wrote:
1. I can solve problems of <700 level with 90 -100% accuracy in Manhattan Quant books & tests, but when it comes to 700-800 level problems, my accuracy level drops to 60-80%. I just want to know If I solve MGmat Advanced Quant book thoroughly, will I cover almost all 700-800 level problems easily in Main GMAT exam? ( I have to get 50 in Quant 8-) )

Doubt the 'easily' part. The actual exam will definitely have some questions you would have never seen before - concepts will be the same, they will just be in a different format. Identifying that would be the main challenge. If your accuracy in 700-800 level questions is 60-80% within the stipulated time limit, your potential is already at or close to Q50. It all depends on how well you use the remaining time and how focused you are during the actual exam.

Apollo22 wrote:
2. I am practicing questions from many online resources: Manhattan, Kaplan, other PDFs- 1000SC etc. How can i know whether the questions from these sources will repeat in Gmat Prep exam :( ? Can you list me what materials should I practice and what not, so that I wont get practiced questions while solving Gmat prep exam ? ( Since, practiced questions would tamper my GmatPrep score :( )

Most of the prep material of test prep companies is inspired by the official material to ensure that the questions you practice on are as close to the actual GMAT questions as possible. There is no point deviating very much in practice questions because then they become 'non-GMAT type'. Hence, no matter what material you use, you will have an extra edge while working on GMAT Prep tests. The point is that you will have the same extra edge during the actual exam too. So don't bother very much and use whatever resources you can get your hands on.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 10:47
Thanks a lot Karishma & e-Gmat for ur replies :)

Is TOEFL required for IIT ians to apply for admissions in Top 20 US MBA colleges ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 21:05
Apollo22 wrote:
So Briefly,
One month is more than sufficient time to improve RC. Just download 1000 RC and start practicing with GRE RC.
Each section has 12 questions ( two passages), do 2 sections. More the merrier
If your answer is wrong, just think and analyze what u have comprehended wrong.

Never think the passage is tough or has weird vocabulary. If possible try to remove modifiers from the sentences in RC.
Even if you cant, just read through and try to get immersed in the passage.
Most of the difficult sentences or words are further explained in passage. You need to read the passage with positive frame of mind.
Many time I encountered weird words in passage, but I realized that GMAC is not testing our vocab, the tough words are only there to confuse us. The meaning of all the difficult words can be inferred from the information given in the passage. You can figure this out with careful reading.

The best stratgey for RC is practice and NEVER TAKING NOTES ( this worked for me).
Even though passage is long just read along. But do figure out the structure of passage.
Try to remove all wrong answers first, till you get stuck.
Mostly the right answers are very general and cannot be disputed with information given in passage.

Now this is very important, even if your quant score is good do not stop practicing it. I did the this mistake and was stuck with same quant score with which i started. Finally ended up with q 47 only.
Polish your strengths and hit at least 50 in quant.

Do not loose confidence and just focus . RC is infact easiest to improve. The best part -- there are no rules in RC--.

P.S. : THE ABOVE WORKED FOR ME, BUT SAME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU,

Last edited by smoothnavigator on 25 Apr 2013, 09:24, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post

Re: How to improve RC ? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 00:09
Expert's post
Apollo22 wrote:
Thanks a lot Karishma & e-Gmat for ur replies :)

Is TOEFL required for IIT ians to apply for admissions in Top 20 US MBA colleges ?

Not required for most schools. You must check on the websites of the schools you are interested in though. A few schools do need TOEFL scores too.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: How to improve RC ?   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 00:09