Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve sentence correction in 2 weeks?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

How to improve sentence correction in 2 weeks? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 14:23
Hi GMAT Experts,

I just took a practice test (offered by GMAT PrepSoftware) with a verbal score of 31. I got 9 questions wrong for Sentence Correction (33% hit ratio which is terrible). I'm fine with the other sections (only got 1 RC wrong and 5 CR wrong). I have read the Manhattan SC once and did all the recommended questions in the OG 12 and OG Verbal Review. I also purchased GMAT Pill Verbal package. It helped me improve my RC significantly. However, my SC is still terrible. I believe I understand the major grammar concepts, but find it difficult to recognize patterns and know what concept each question is testing. I always find myself fall into the trap answers.

I've heard that SC is the easiest section to improve on GMAT. However I find myself struggling with it the most. I'm not a native English speaker. I really need to change my study strategy to master SC in 2 weeks. I appreciate any advice the GMAT experts have to offer.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: How to improve sentence correction in 2 weeks? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 07:52
Dude, I'm 10 days away from taking my test and if I can offer you some advice when it comes to SC....get a tutor. Try to find one online who you can send your questions to, because I can tell you; although this is a great sight for many many reasons, you will not (nor in your SC book) get the comprehensive answers you need. Just sayin.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 11

Re: How to improve sentence correction in 2 weeks? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 07:38
Expert's post
Honestly, the only thing you can really do with 2 weeks or less to go is practice applying what you already know. If you've already been studying, you should work on analyzing problems you've already done. What topics are tested in each problem? How can you get some quick eliminations? What's the fastest way to identify the issues in this problem? To what extent does meaning influence the answer? Why is each answer choice right or wrong? What traps do you need to avoid? If you are used to answering these questions, it will you enable to respond more quickly and accurately on test day.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: How to improve sentence correction in 2 weeks?   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2011, 07:38