Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 05:21
I am taking the test on April 20. I am having a hard time to bring up my total score due to my very low average verbal score of 25. I have about 50:50 for each of the 3 verbal sections. Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve all 3 of them? Currently, I am practicing the OG questions, moving next to supplemental GMAC blue verbal book. I tried to time myself when doing the questions, and after that I would come back to understand why my answers were wrong.

I am also taking Veritas Prep class sessions and tried to follow their strategy that works for me to answer the questions:
So, for SC, I did POE and eliminate answers knowing why I did that. I have been keeping logs on all the rules (learned new and always the missed ones) and tried to see the patterns on what is it that I always missed and just not getting them. Just this week, I realized that it seems to be the grey area pronouns, such as "it" or "they". This is the only verbal section that I was pretty confident in, but it seems that I arrive at a range about 50% or 70%.

For CR, first, I read the stem questions to id if the type is a strengthen, weaken, inference, or method (rare ones and usually boldfaced and mostly missed this) question. Then, as I amreading, my goal is to understand the argument. I write notes when doing that to help me understand what the argument is about. I find that doing verbal (esp. on CR/RC) understanding the argument/passage wins you half the way. I also made sure to note the conclusion and premises and took what I understood, keeping the conclusion, and premises in mind to go through the answer choices. I am always stumbled when English structure is written in the not straightforward manner, such as the double negative. I guess less familiarity slows me down.

For RC, I learnt from class to read the passage and understand the per paragraph or group of sentences. In class practices, the method seems to help save many seconds or a minute and still understand the passage enough. I have not tried it yet on more questions since the class this past weekend. I have been doing similar and write notes, again the goal is to understand the passage. I guess the Veritas method to paraphrase in mind of what was read makes me be a more effective reader. I take about 3 minutes to read a passage.

I don't read a lot, in general, big contributor and another one would be that I tend to lose focus with details (but tried to move on). On verbal, the 2 minutes/question give me enough time to read the argument/passage and question choices ONCE (and maybe TWICE on SC's question choices). This means, CR and RC is <=1 minute to go through the answer choices. And last, for certain, I think I just need to do a lot of verbal practice to build that very needed muscles.

Is there anything missing that I need to incorporate to improve my verbal?

I appreciate your help.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:40
This what I'm doing right now in preparation for my 3rd attempt that is scheduled for May 1, 2013

1. Enrolled in e-gmat SC course and re-affirming the basics - still need to master their process
2. Watching MGMAT Ron's townhall videos on verbal
3. Re-doing OG12 and Verbal 2 questions
4. Purchased question pack 1 and solving set of 10 questions.
5. Re-reading [url]How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40[/url] by souvik101990
6. Solving posted questions on this forum.

These are humble notes from a 500+ looking to get to 700+...

Hope this helps..

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 12:13
25 to 40 is a big gap to close in 15 days. Do you have any flexibility pushing back the exam? Is English your primary language?

SC - I was always terrible at it. I bought a SC guide, but I was so far gone it really didnt help my cause. My advice is to do the OG problems at least twice. Your brain will start to pick up patterns of what is right and what is wrong. I dont know how to describe, but after looking at a couple hundred problems you develop a pretty good "smell test".

CR - No real suggestions here. My strategy was to read the question first, read the prompt, then start crossing out answers.

RC - This were you comment about not reading that often is going to hurt you. Prior to the GMAT I read 4 -5 800 page books (just by coincidence) that I think really helped me focus on some of these passages that were almost complete gibberish.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 17:37
Hi,

I hope i am not replying too late to be of any help. But I am in the same boat, I gave the GMAT in OCT 2012, and my verbal score was 27, I started preparing in June this year and i am giving practice tests now and my score in verbal has improved to 34-36 .

I have not even done 1/4th of OG and the only thing I can attribute the increase to is studying from manhattan sentence correction guide. I am okay with CR but my SC and RCs were real bad so I am concentrating on them and the MGMAT sc guide is very helpful.

I hope it helps.

chetan
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 584

Kudos [?]: 2070 [0], given: 673

Re: How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 11:05
Expert's post
Re: How to Improve Verbal 25 to 40s?   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2014, 11:05