Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+ [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 01:23
Hello,

I am re-taking the GMAT in one month, in most of my practice tests I scored a V27. In order to get my total score, I want to improve the Verbal part to V30+. Can anybody help me with topics I should focus on based on this information from my last practice test:

300-500 SC RC CR
right 2/67% 1/100% 2/67%
wrong 1/33% 0/ 0% 1/33%

500-600 SC RC CR
right 3/50% 2/40% 3/75%
wrong 3/50% 3/60% 1/25%

600-700 SC RC CR
right 3/75% 1/20% 3/50%
wrong 1/25% 4/80% 3/50%

700-800 SC RC CR
right 0/0% 0/0% 0/0%
wrong 2/100% 1/100% 1/100%

It's obvious that I am really bad with RC and that would be my main focus (read The Economist, read at least one GMAT fiction book, go over at least 1 RC problem pack every day). Other than that, I am unsure what other topic I should mostly focus on? My guess would be SC (go over gmatpill frameworks again, after focus on solving hard questions mostly).

Can anybody help he here?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Andreas
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+ [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 20:39
Andreas!

The reason why someone would be bad at RCs is because he/she does not do it via 'structures'.
Building your verbal skills require a lot of work, and it needs to be done step by step.
You should start by understanding what the part of sentences are i.e if you see a sentence what does each part does ( is it a noun, a modifier, an adjective, it is an essential clause, non essential clause etc)

What happens in an RC is only retain a part of the information that you read. So you should read only the part that is necessary in your first read. 'Reading everything' would only lead you to retain bits and pieces of random information.

There are lot of ways you can improve on an RC or verbal for that matter, but it would not be possible for me to outline everything on one post.

However, I strongly believe that anyone can get a 35+ on GMAT verbal. You just need to have a proper approach.
Hope this helps :)

GMAT Central
GMAT Private Tutor(online)
50 hours@ $950; Customized tutoring approach
Tutored clients from Morgan Stanley
PM If interested

Manager
Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Re: How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+ [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 22:50
Hello Andreas,

My thoughts on this:

1) I see that you have provided a lot of data but very little analysis. What do *you* think is the problem? Where are you getting stuck? Is there a difference between the way you practice and the way you solve during the test? Which books have you studied from? Which tests have you taken? ...........the list goes on. Pick the most relevant questions from the data (the WHAT) and ask yourself WHY. Ofcourse we are here to help - if you need anyone to pick on it :-D

2) Have you introspected on your test and seen for yourself where you are making the mistakes? Are there any specific areas within each section where you see yourself struggling? How do you manage time on the test? Do you panic when you start running out of time? You may use another way to evaluate your mistakes than depending just on accuracy such as if what type of mistakes you are making (silly mistakes? or you just don't know the concept) etc.

3) The fact that you are stuck at a 27 is because you are not able to solve questions in the 30+ level. Remember GMAT is an adaptive test so there is something you are not able to apply well once you go beyond the 30-mark. Unless your practice source (which you have not mentioned here - and I don't know about GMATPill) has quality questions in the 35+ range you will never be able to improve on it.

4) RC is may not be the only problem though usually it is a bigger culprit than SC or CR (Just because of the sheer time that it takes you to solve a RC question vis-a-vis a CR/SC question - hence potential for lot more damage :twisted: ). Are you saying so because you are taking more time for RC? Or is it because your accuracy is poor? Also - reading the economist at this point may not directly help you in RC (thought it is an awesome magazine - a must read for any aspiring/current manager).

HTH,

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+ [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 00:37
To improve RC .. just do structural analysis...by remembering para wise information..how the information has been splitted in various paragraphs!!!

give kudos..if this helps u... :)
Re: How to improve Verbal from V27 to V30+   [#permalink] 17 May 2012, 00:37