Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: bits pilani
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink]
Thanks a lot Souvik. I am from the same category. Could not score well in verbal. Was wondering how to proceed before retaking GMAT.Your post gives a great insight into what might have gone wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If you wish to get into a good school, you'd better take it again. Don't give up ..Can you please suggest me how to improve my verbal score?I am poor in ... 540
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
thank you for your amazing post..it will really help me to improve my score
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
I didnt want to start a new thread, so I am asking my query here...
I am a non-native english speaker it takes me around
SC -> 2 min (1.45 - 2 min) (6 right out of 10)
CR -> 2.10 min (1.45 - 2.30 min) (90% accurate)
RC -> 1.45 (1.30 - 2 min) (Reading + answering 4 question / number of question.) (almost 100% accurate.)
With that background, I would like to ask if i get though 35-36 questions , skipping really tough ones in middle and with 90 % accuracy on attempted ones, will I be able to touch 35-40 mark in Verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi everyone !!,

I am preparing for GMAT from past two months. I planned to take the test in December 1 st week. But my mock test scores are not very encouraging :(
Manahattan GMAT: Q-44 , V-27 , Score-590 , 24/10/2014
Manahattan GMAT: Q-44 , V-27 , Score-590 , 20/11/2014
GMAT PREP: Q-48 , V-26 , Score-610 , 23/11/2014

I have 6 yrs of work exp. in petro-chemicals. Are there any hopes for me to improve my Verbal score and apply for admission in 2015 sessions ??
As far as I know most of the deadlines for applications are in December .
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Verbal is a tough section, especially for non-native applicants. Keeping this in mind, Optimus prep has a targeted verbal course for candidates preparing for the GMAT. You can find more details here:https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-verbal-booster
You can also opt for a well rounded course catering to all the needs of GMAT prep: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course

Feel free to take a 7 day trial of the courses we offer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Soumyasrinivas wrote:
Hi,

I am a working executive and have taken the GMAT second time around, yesterday, scoring 620 (Q41 V36). Although Quant has never been my forte, my scores in the verbal section were consistently above 40 in the mocks (GMAT prep and exam pack), due to which my scores were all above 670 in the mocks.

Your guidance would be of great help! I retake the test in a month's time!

Thank you!
Regards
Soumya

I think 36 in verbal is still a great score. However a 41 in Maths is very low. Why don't you try to focus on pushing your quant up instead since most Bschools anyway focus more on the quant score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
a lot of good pointer here that I will try out, I am totally stuck on improving SC as I am not a native speaker. it is so frustrating
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

How to improve your verbal score from V30 to V40

There are a lot of threads already about verbal study plans, but I planned to address a particular “getting plateaued” issue that a lot of students (myself included) faced during their preparation to ace the GMAT.

Assumptions

You are consistently achieving V30 or above.
You have almost finished 80% of the verbal syllabus (if you have planned any) that you intended to cover in the course of your GMAT preparation.

Problem

There might be a couple of reasons to why your score is always hovering around the V30 range (V28-V35). I would like to address almost all of them below. (Please post comments if you think of something else)
1. You have covered your verbal books such as MGMAT SC/CR/CR, Powerscore, Veritas, Kaplan books and the available question banks but often on a practice test you see a lot of questions, which seem to test something else.

2. You have not understood some of the concepts written in certain books (sometimes, as it happens, you think you have understood a certain concept such as pronoun ambiguity but it becomes harder to apply in certain questions as the concept is a little abstract in itself).

3. You have not timed yourself when you practiced from question banks.

4. Some of the absolute strategies that have been advised by the authors of the books you are referring to are not working for you. This is most common for Reading Comprehension.

5. You seem to answer the questions correctly when you review the practice CATs but somehow you answer them wrong while taking the test.

Analysis

1. Books are as good as you make out of them. I, for instance, started my verbal preparation with MGMAT SC and took a MGMAT CAT after I was finished with it. I scored a 680 with Q49 V34. I was pretty devastated as people who did well in their verbal prep said MGMAT books are more than enough. Believe me they are. But as it happened, being a non native, I was pretty out of shape in my verbal skills and even though I “knew” all the concepts of grammar for the GMAT, I failed to apply all of them in the test.
For example, I knew that in case of a bilateral doubt in a sentence we use “whether” and not “if”. But I did not know whether it was supposed to be “whether” or “whether or not”. There, I also used a whether in the sentence :P.

2. MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR contains almost everything there is to sentence correction and critical reasoning. For example participial phrases and ING phrases are very well explained but I often failed to comprehend what the statement “ING phrases modify the entire preceding clause” actually means. I seemed to have read the whole book. Twice. However, with fewer examples on specific concepts I did not master them.

3. Verbal timing is incredibly crucial in getting a good verbal score. Initially I would be looking at the clock every 5 questions and spend 10-15 seconds on mental calculation as to how many minutes per question I have left. This folly brings a variety of problems. If I am not doing that great I would be incredibly tensed if I realize that I have less than average minutes per question left. Even if I am doing well with my time, the useless mental calculation takes a relatively considerable amount of time itself.

4. In RC you skim. Well, if I am skimming and looking back all the time am I not wasting a lot of time anyway? Also, if I spend a lot of time reading every detail, most of which do not even appear in the question set of that RC, I am wasting considerable time as well. This is an inherent question in Reading Comprehension. Similar confusion appears in the much debated “pre thinking” concept in critical reasoning.

5. After writing an essay, trying to solve 12 excruciating “not so integrated” reasoning questions, your brain closely resembles that of a zombie (no offence zombies) during the last 10-15 questions in verbal. No matter how much of that disgusting red bull you have tried for the first time in the break, your brain just refuses to function at the near end of the verbal portion.

Approach for each problem

1. Make sure you buy and use extensively the official guide to supplement your GMAT preparation. Trust me when I say that the official guides are the most underrated books in the GMAT world. Sure, almost everyone buys them but you cannot deny that the relative importance the official guide gets compared to other “prep books” is quite on the lower side. The real blasphemy in the GMAT world is the statement “Official Guide is a question bank”. I could not stress more on the importance of the official guide, especially for your verbal preparation, for it is the only book which has all the information you need. You just need to learn to look for them. Don’t just answer the questions on the official guide. Review extensively as to what was particularly tested on that question. For example if you are studying modifiers and you are having a go at the modifiers questions in the official guide make sure you understand why exactly the other options are incorrect (awkward/wordy are NEVER good explanations). Refer to GMAT club resources on every single question and look at the expert replies and the discussions. I know it sounds very tedious but this is the most important step in boosting your verbal score. Lets look at an example from the gmat prep 2 to support my statements.
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity.
Let’s analyze the question in detail.
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now let’s look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e. the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence.
o to make it correct we use the construction:
Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.
This question tests meaning/prepositions/clarity. Unless you analyze every single question in this way, you will never get the bang for the bucks you spent in buying all the official guides.

2. Face it, the ING words are messy. So are pronouns in grammar and paradoxes in critical reasoning. That is exactly why we created the GMATClub verbal advantage. Remember to use Thursdays with Ron as it is one of the best resource out there for verbal and quant.
gmat-club-verbal-advantage-133953.html

3. Timing yourself while attempting the questions is crucial in the later part of your preparation. You can always use the gmatclub forum timer when you answer questions in the forum. Remember to use a stopwatch when you revisit the official guides or any question bank you are working on (the gmat toolkit comes with a built in OG Tracker with timer for the iphone)

4. Your strategies should not be iron clad. Figure out what exactly works for you. If you like like skimming this is for you. However, if you think reading through the passage for every detail is a better idea follow the strategy from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWAyIk37do&feature=plcp . Remember that the main point questions will probably be on your test for more than one time with a 90% chance. So, make sure you have that concept and strategy internalized.

5. Make sure you take a break in the practice tests after the quant portion. Also, sentence correction is your weapon when your brain starts to wear. Sentence correction mostly does not involve a lot of brainwork and often acts as a refresher after a heavy RC. So make sure you work hard on SC strategies and practice (including getting a 90%+ accuracy in official questions) so that you take less time in solving sentence corrections and dedicate the balance to offset for the reduced functioning of the zombie brain.

Finally,

1. Sentence correction is ideal to guarantee a steep improvement in a relatively short period of time (you have to review the official questions in excruciating details).

2. Critical Reasoning can be a little more difficult to improve upon, but certain strategies do come in handy. I have my own views about prethinking. For strengthen and weaken, prethinking can be a great idea as strengthen and weaken questions test logic that is already there in your brain. For example when your dad used to say “you must have been the one who broke the glass windowpane while playing cricket”, you instantly used to reply “It was not me but the kid from the next block.” You were, in fact, weakening your dad’s conclusion. But, trying to find out assumptions in convoluted arguments can be extremely tedious and you should be careful in not wasting a lot of time. For inference/bold face questions let your common senses take the back seat and rely solely on the premises and facts in the argument.

3. You can review official CR questions in the same way as you did for SC questions. For every strengthen/weaken questions try to figure out an alternate answer choice which would be just as good. This might not be entirely possible for every single question but it will definitely set the right direction for you in such questions.

4. Reading Comprehension is a bit crucial when it comes to improvement, for if you do not comprehend a passage well you will end up making repeated mistakes, which we all know can be pretty detrimental with that Verbal score of yours. Make sure you follow a strategy that works for you and then go on a mission to solve official questions. Simplify the question set into specific sets such as main point/inference/detail and work on them. It is up to you whether you want to make notes, but make sure they are as brief as possible. Main point/primary purpose questions are the most important one to crack on RC so make sure you get them internalized.

All the best with the 75 minutes after quant

Hope this Helps
Souvik

I was about to give up on SC and go on to other topics, after an intense 10 days' vain effort trying to improve in this area...but after I saw your post.. I feel re-motivated (not sure if this is a word) to continue..thanks!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been preparing for GMAT for almost a year now . But because of work , i could not dedicate much time . But since March '15 i have tried to dedicate more time for the GMAT and have tried to put genuine effort.
Material used-
Magoosh Premium Subsciption
OG 13
MGMAT SC
Aristotle SC

I have given 4 mocks as of now.
28/04- Magoosh 580 (Q 45 V 25 ) .
9/06- Magoosh 700( Q 46 , V 39) - Though i won't count this as by this time i had already exhausted the question bank .
29/6 - Veritas Prep 590 (Q 47, V 25 )
26/7 - GMAT Prep 1 - 620 (Q 47 , V 27)

How do i improve my verbal score? I am in New Delhi ,India . Should i join a coaching center such as Jamboree or join an online course such as E-gmat . My GMAT is scheduled on 8th August . I am thinking about rescheduling it as i am nowhere near my target score of 700 + .
Please help . :?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
Send PM
Thanks for the helpful tips, I have my GMAT in 3 weeks, and I am struggling to get 40+ score in verbal, could you share your strategy in last 3 weeks of your GMAT prep? How many questions did you review/or solve per day?

souvik101990 wrote:

How to improve your verbal score from V30 to V40

There are a lot of threads already about verbal study plans, but I planned to address a particular “getting plateaued” issue that a lot of students (myself included) faced during their preparation to ace the GMAT.

Assumptions

You are consistently achieving V30 or above.
You have almost finished 80% of the verbal syllabus (if you have planned any) that you intended to cover in the course of your GMAT preparation.

Problem

There might be a couple of reasons to why your score is always hovering around the V30 range (V28-V35). I would like to address almost all of them below. (Please post comments if you think of something else)
1. You have covered your verbal books such as MGMAT SC/CR/CR, Powerscore, Veritas, Kaplan books and the available question banks but often on a practice test you see a lot of questions, which seem to test something else.

2. You have not understood some of the concepts written in certain books (sometimes, as it happens, you think you have understood a certain concept such as pronoun ambiguity but it becomes harder to apply in certain questions as the concept is a little abstract in itself).

3. You have not timed yourself when you practiced from question banks.

4. Some of the absolute strategies that have been advised by the authors of the books you are referring to are not working for you. This is most common for Reading Comprehension.

5. You seem to answer the questions correctly when you review the practice CATs but somehow you answer them wrong while taking the test.

Analysis

1. Books are as good as you make out of them. I, for instance, started my verbal preparation with MGMAT SC and took a MGMAT CAT after I was finished with it. I scored a 680 with Q49 V34. I was pretty devastated as people who did well in their verbal prep said MGMAT books are more than enough. Believe me they are. But as it happened, being a non native, I was pretty out of shape in my verbal skills and even though I “knew” all the concepts of grammar for the GMAT, I failed to apply all of them in the test.
For example, I knew that in case of a bilateral doubt in a sentence we use “whether” and not “if”. But I did not know whether it was supposed to be “whether” or “whether or not”. There, I also used a whether in the sentence :P.

2. MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR contains almost everything there is to sentence correction and critical reasoning. For example participial phrases and ING phrases are very well explained but I often failed to comprehend what the statement “ING phrases modify the entire preceding clause” actually means. I seemed to have read the whole book. Twice. However, with fewer examples on specific concepts I did not master them.

3. Verbal timing is incredibly crucial in getting a good verbal score. Initially I would be looking at the clock every 5 questions and spend 10-15 seconds on mental calculation as to how many minutes per question I have left. This folly brings a variety of problems. If I am not doing that great I would be incredibly tensed if I realize that I have less than average minutes per question left. Even if I am doing well with my time, the useless mental calculation takes a relatively considerable amount of time itself.

4. In RC you skim. Well, if I am skimming and looking back all the time am I not wasting a lot of time anyway? Also, if I spend a lot of time reading every detail, most of which do not even appear in the question set of that RC, I am wasting considerable time as well. This is an inherent question in Reading Comprehension. Similar confusion appears in the much debated “pre thinking” concept in critical reasoning.

5. After writing an essay, trying to solve 12 excruciating “not so integrated” reasoning questions, your brain closely resembles that of a zombie (no offence zombies) during the last 10-15 questions in verbal. No matter how much of that disgusting red bull you have tried for the first time in the break, your brain just refuses to function at the near end of the verbal portion.

Approach for each problem

1. Make sure you buy and use extensively the official guide to supplement your GMAT preparation. Trust me when I say that the official guides are the most underrated books in the GMAT world. Sure, almost everyone buys them but you cannot deny that the relative importance the official guide gets compared to other “prep books” is quite on the lower side. The real blasphemy in the GMAT world is the statement “Official Guide is a question bank”. I could not stress more on the importance of the official guide, especially for your verbal preparation, for it is the only book which has all the information you need. You just need to learn to look for them. Don’t just answer the questions on the official guide. Review extensively as to what was particularly tested on that question. For example if you are studying modifiers and you are having a go at the modifiers questions in the official guide make sure you understand why exactly the other options are incorrect (awkward/wordy are NEVER good explanations). Refer to GMAT club resources on every single question and look at the expert replies and the discussions. I know it sounds very tedious but this is the most important step in boosting your verbal score. Lets look at an example from the gmat prep 2 to support my statements.
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity.
Let’s analyze the question in detail.
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now let’s look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e. the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence.
o to make it correct we use the construction:
Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.
This question tests meaning/prepositions/clarity. Unless you analyze every single question in this way, you will never get the bang for the bucks you spent in buying all the official guides.

2. Face it, the ING words are messy. So are pronouns in grammar and paradoxes in critical reasoning. That is exactly why we created the GMATClub verbal advantage. Remember to use Thursdays with Ron as it is one of the best resource out there for verbal and quant.
gmat-club-verbal-advantage-133953.html

3. Timing yourself while attempting the questions is crucial in the later part of your preparation. You can always use the gmatclub forum timer when you answer questions in the forum. Remember to use a stopwatch when you revisit the official guides or any question bank you are working on (the gmat toolkit comes with a built in OG Tracker with timer for the iphone)

4. Your strategies should not be iron clad. Figure out what exactly works for you. If you like like skimming this is for you. However, if you think reading through the passage for every detail is a better idea follow the strategy from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWAyIk37do&feature=plcp . Remember that the main point questions will probably be on your test for more than one time with a 90% chance. So, make sure you have that concept and strategy internalized.

5. Make sure you take a break in the practice tests after the quant portion. Also, sentence correction is your weapon when your brain starts to wear. Sentence correction mostly does not involve a lot of brainwork and often acts as a refresher after a heavy RC. So make sure you work hard on SC strategies and practice (including getting a 90%+ accuracy in official questions) so that you take less time in solving sentence corrections and dedicate the balance to offset for the reduced functioning of the zombie brain.

Finally,

1. Sentence correction is ideal to guarantee a steep improvement in a relatively short period of time (you have to review the official questions in excruciating details).

2. Critical Reasoning can be a little more difficult to improve upon, but certain strategies do come in handy. I have my own views about prethinking. For strengthen and weaken, prethinking can be a great idea as strengthen and weaken questions test logic that is already there in your brain. For example when your dad used to say “you must have been the one who broke the glass windowpane while playing cricket”, you instantly used to reply “It was not me but the kid from the next block.” You were, in fact, weakening your dad’s conclusion. But, trying to find out assumptions in convoluted arguments can be extremely tedious and you should be careful in not wasting a lot of time. For inference/bold face questions let your common senses take the back seat and rely solely on the premises and facts in the argument.

3. You can review official CR questions in the same way as you did for SC questions. For every strengthen/weaken questions try to figure out an alternate answer choice which would be just as good. This might not be entirely possible for every single question but it will definitely set the right direction for you in such questions.

4. Reading Comprehension is a bit crucial when it comes to improvement, for if you do not comprehend a passage well you will end up making repeated mistakes, which we all know can be pretty detrimental with that Verbal score of yours. Make sure you follow a strategy that works for you and then go on a mission to solve official questions. Simplify the question set into specific sets such as main point/inference/detail and work on them. It is up to you whether you want to make notes, but make sure they are as brief as possible. Main point/primary purpose questions are the most important one to crack on RC so make sure you get them internalized.

All the best with the 75 minutes after quant

Hope this Helps
Souvik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Send PM
2 days before i have given my gmat and scored Q50 V25.
The verbal score was terrible. I have been preparing for 3 months and still got the same verbal score as in my first diagnostic test on gmatprep.
I have already read every book of MGMAT and is a current student of e-gmat verbal course.
I have even done with official guides and powerscore too.
Now i don't know form where to start. I am a non-native speaker.
As i have read most of the books but still couldn't make it.
So can anybody suggest me from where to start now ?
should i need to request ESR ?
thanx in advance :lol:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Karanagrawal wrote:
2 days before i have given my gmat and scored Q50 V25.
The verbal score was terrible. I have been preparing for 3 months and still got the same verbal score as in my first diagnostic test on gmatprep.
I have already read every book of MGMAT and is a current student of e-gmat verbal course.
I have even done with official guides and powerscore too.
Now i don't know form where to start. I am a non-native speaker.
As i have read most of the books but still couldn't make it.
So can anybody suggest me from where to start now ?
should i need to request ESR ?
thanx in advance :lol:

i guess i do not have a very convincing reply, but still it might help. Are u looking into ur weaker area, i mean in verbal try to focus on the area which is weak and simultaneously make strong area, stronger. I am also going through the same phase but trying to do this, will c whether result is in my favour or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Sloan '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.86
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey, Great post !!
I just needed some help to analyse my gmat verbal score. I took Veritas prep free practice test. This was my first full length Gmat mock !
Score is as follows
% correct # correct # incorrect Pace per question
Overall 73% 30 11 01m 16s
Critical Reasoning 67% 8 4 01m 30s
Reading Comprehension 69% 9 4 01m 28s
Sentence Correction 81% 13 3 00m 57s
Score:25 Percentile 40

Even though I have 30 Correct Questions and only 11 incorrect Questions, the score calculated is 25.
I cannot make sense of the scoring. Please help me in this !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Souvik,

Thanks for such a wonderful explanation. :lol:

Needed a quick clarification : My verbal score has been hovering around 20's (23-28) in the last 2 GMAT preps. However when I have a detailed look at the performance tab my individual scores dont look that bad (CR-42 percentile RC-39 and SC-37). Was too slow and could answer only 25 questions leaving the remaining 16 unattended.
Is the overall drop in verbal score because of not answering the section completely??? Does it fall that drastically? :cry: Assuming that I continue with the same accuracy, will I be able to score above V36 in verbal ; given I complete the entire section. Should my focus now be on improving speed or am I missing fundamentals (which cud be he reason for being slow)?

Attaching the screenshot of the performance.

Excuse me for replying to the post where the basic assumption is to score above V30!

Best-
Amit
Attachments

Verbal Score.png
Verbal Score.png [ 65.78 KiB | Viewed 10241 times ]

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Amit989 wrote:
Hi Souvik,

Thanks for such a wonderful explanation. :lol:

Needed a quick clarification : My verbal score has been hovering around 20's (23-28) in the last 2 GMAT preps. However when I have a detailed look at the performance tab my individual scores dont look that bad (CR-42 percentile RC-39 and SC-37). Was too slow and could answer only 25 questions leaving the remaining 16 unattended.
Is the overall drop in verbal score because of not answering the section completely??? Does it fall that drastically? :cry: Assuming that I continue with the same accuracy, will I be able to score above V36 in verbal ; given I complete the entire section. Should my focus now be on improving speed or am I missing fundamentals (which cud be he reason for being slow)?

Attaching the screenshot of the performance.

Excuse me for replying to the post where the basic assumption is to score above V30!

Best-
Amit

Hi Amit989 ,

Always remember that leaving even a single question will punish you very badly.

GMAC spends several dollars to prepare every question and if you leave any question unanswered, you are going to be punished by GMAC.

It is always better to mark a question incorrect than to leave it answered.

Also, to answer your other question, you need to work really hard to complete your whole test on time, else V30+ is extremely difficult.

All the best. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello Souvik,
I have been studying CR from EGMAT and my verbal score now has reached a 30-32(on Manhattan Mocks). My target is to go up 10 more points. The problem right now is timing. I am taking 3 minutes per CR question. So, I think I need more practice to bring my timing down. I think I have hit my accuracy goal but I need to do the questions within 2 minutes. Right now, I have exhausted all the material I have. Official Guide, GMAT prep and EGMAT questions. Many i did when I was not sure of the correct methods of solving CR Qs and many I did recently, but i definitely cannot use them as i remember the answers. What is your recommendation ? I need may be like a solid 100-200 or more questions with solutions that help me go from a 30 -40. I see a lot of valuable information on GMAT club. Its almost impossible to decide where to start.

Your help will be really appreciated.
Sahil
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts