Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
147 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3036 [147] , given: 890

How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

How to improve your verbal score from V30 to V40

There are a lot of threads already about verbal study plans, but I planned to address a particular “getting plateaued” issue that a lot of students (myself included) faced during their preparation to ace the GMAT.

Assumptions

You are consistently achieving V30 or above.
You have almost finished 80% of the verbal syllabus (if you have planned any) that you intended to cover in the course of your GMAT preparation.

Problem

There might be a couple of reasons to why your score is always hovering around the V30 range (V28-V35). I would like to address almost all of them below. (Please post comments if you think of something else)
1. You have covered your verbal books such as MGMAT SC/CR/CR, Powerscore, Veritas, Kaplan books and the available question banks but often on a practice test you see a lot of questions, which seem to test something else.

2. You have not understood some of the concepts written in certain books (sometimes, as it happens, you think you have understood a certain concept such as pronoun ambiguity but it becomes harder to apply in certain questions as the concept is a little abstract in itself).

3. You have not timed yourself when you practiced from question banks.

4. Some of the absolute strategies that have been advised by the authors of the books you are referring to are not working for you. This is most common for Reading Comprehension.

5. You seem to answer the questions correctly when you review the practice CATs but somehow you answer them wrong while taking the test.

Analysis

1. Books are as good as you make out of them. I, for instance, started my verbal preparation with MGMAT SC and took a MGMAT CAT after I was finished with it. I scored a 680 with Q49 V34. I was pretty devastated as people who did well in their verbal prep said MGMAT books are more than enough. Believe me they are. But as it happened, being a non native, I was pretty out of shape in my verbal skills and even though I “knew” all the concepts of grammar for the GMAT, I failed to apply all of them in the test.
For example, I knew that in case of a bilateral doubt in a sentence we use “whether” and not “if”. But I did not know whether it was supposed to be “whether” or “whether or not”. There, I also used a whether in the sentence :P.

2. MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR contains almost everything there is to sentence correction and critical reasoning. For example participial phrases and ING phrases are very well explained but I often failed to comprehend what the statement “ING phrases modify the entire preceding clause” actually means. I seemed to have read the whole book. Twice. However, with fewer examples on specific concepts I did not master them.

3. Verbal timing is incredibly crucial in getting a good verbal score. Initially I would be looking at the clock every 5 questions and spend 10-15 seconds on mental calculation as to how many minutes per question I have left. This folly brings a variety of problems. If I am not doing that great I would be incredibly tensed if I realize that I have less than average minutes per question left. Even if I am doing well with my time, the useless mental calculation takes a relatively considerable amount of time itself.

4. In RC you skim. Well, if I am skimming and looking back all the time am I not wasting a lot of time anyway? Also, if I spend a lot of time reading every detail, most of which do not even appear in the question set of that RC, I am wasting considerable time as well. This is an inherent question in Reading Comprehension. Similar confusion appears in the much debated “pre thinking” concept in critical reasoning.

5. After writing an essay, trying to solve 12 excruciating “not so integrated” reasoning questions, your brain closely resembles that of a zombie (no offence zombies) during the last 10-15 questions in verbal. No matter how much of that disgusting red bull you have tried for the first time in the break, your brain just refuses to function at the near end of the verbal portion.

Approach for each problem

1. Make sure you buy and use extensively the official guide to supplement your GMAT preparation. Trust me when I say that the official guides are the most underrated books in the GMAT world. Sure, almost everyone buys them but you cannot deny that the relative importance the official guide gets compared to other “prep books” is quite on the lower side. The real blasphemy in the GMAT world is the statement “Official Guide is a question bank”. I could not stress more on the importance of the official guide, especially for your verbal preparation, for it is the only book which has all the information you need. You just need to learn to look for them. Don’t just answer the questions on the official guide. Review extensively as to what was particularly tested on that question. For example if you are studying modifiers and you are having a go at the modifiers questions in the official guide make sure you understand why exactly the other options are incorrect (awkward/wordy are NEVER good explanations). Refer to GMAT club resources on every single question and look at the expert replies and the discussions. I know it sounds very tedious but this is the most important step in boosting your verbal score. Lets look at an example from the gmat prep 2 to support my statements.
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity.
Let’s analyze the question in detail.
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now let’s look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e. the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence.
o to make it correct we use the construction:
Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.
This question tests meaning/prepositions/clarity. Unless you analyze every single question in this way, you will never get the bang for the bucks you spent in buying all the official guides.

2. Face it, the ING words are messy. So are pronouns in grammar and paradoxes in critical reasoning. That is exactly why we created the GMATClub verbal advantage. Remember to use Thursdays with Ron as it is one of the best resource out there for verbal and quant.
gmat-club-verbal-advantage-133953.html

3. Timing yourself while attempting the questions is crucial in the later part of your preparation. You can always use the gmatclub forum timer when you answer questions in the forum. Remember to use a stopwatch when you revisit the official guides or any question bank you are working on (the gmat toolkit comes with a built in OG Tracker with timer for the iphone)

4. Your strategies should not be iron clad. Figure out what exactly works for you. If you like like skimming http://vimeo.com/18632588 this is for you. However, if you think reading through the passage for every detail is a better idea follow the strategy from here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWAyIk37do&feature=plcp . Remember that the main point questions will probably be on your test for more than one time with a 90% chance. So, make sure you have that concept and strategy internalized.

5. Make sure you take a break in the practice tests after the quant portion. Also, sentence correction is your weapon when your brain starts to wear. Sentence correction mostly does not involve a lot of brainwork and often acts as a refresher after a heavy RC. So make sure you work hard on SC strategies and practice (including getting a 90%+ accuracy in official questions) so that you take less time in solving sentence corrections and dedicate the balance to offset for the reduced functioning of the zombie brain.

Finally,

1. Sentence correction is ideal to guarantee a steep improvement in a relatively short period of time (you have to review the official questions in excruciating details).

2. Critical Reasoning can be a little more difficult to improve upon, but certain strategies do come in handy. I have my own views about prethinking. For strengthen and weaken, prethinking can be a great idea as strengthen and weaken questions test logic that is already there in your brain. For example when your dad used to say “you must have been the one who broke the glass windowpane while playing cricket”, you instantly used to reply “It was not me but the kid from the next block.” You were, in fact, weakening your dad’s conclusion. But, trying to find out assumptions in convoluted arguments can be extremely tedious and you should be careful in not wasting a lot of time. For inference/bold face questions let your common senses take the back seat and rely solely on the premises and facts in the argument.

3. You can review official CR questions in the same way as you did for SC questions. For every strengthen/weaken questions try to figure out an alternate answer choice which would be just as good. This might not be entirely possible for every single question but it will definitely set the right direction for you in such questions.

4. Reading Comprehension is a bit crucial when it comes to improvement, for if you do not comprehend a passage well you will end up making repeated mistakes, which we all know can be pretty detrimental with that Verbal score of yours. Make sure you follow a strategy that works for you and then go on a mission to solve official questions. Simplify the question set into specific sets such as main point/inference/detail and work on them. It is up to you whether you want to make notes, but make sure they are as brief as possible. Main point/primary purpose questions are the most important one to crack on RC so make sure you get them internalized.

All the best with the 75 minutes after quant

Hope this Helps
Souvik

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Last edited by bb on 11 Sep 2013, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
Adding more links
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
21 KUDOS received
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [21] , given: 696

How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As usual, if gmatclub had implemented ten or even hundred kudos, you would have earned them, for sure, souvik101990 :)

I would like to add or share my opinion, my thoughts about this.

To break the barrier of a decent (really) decent score in verbal section, as in quant, is not on ly a question of rules, practice, drill sets, mock tests and so, the list could be endless.

I remembered an article by Brian Galvin from Veritas prep: is not important how much you know but how you think, is not important how much question you did, is important what you learned and apply the concepts to a new task. is not important the past but how NOW you see odds angles to comes up with a solution; and not a simple solution but THE solution in the time allotted. Efficiently. Strategically. Like a razor edge. it is not simple, on the contrary, is quite difficult. The variables to take in account are so much.........

That say, in my experience on the verbal section:

Critical reasoning

the best advice comes from souvik: try to pre-think the answer with a brief brain-storm and identify always the conclusion of the argument, working from outside to inside, from wrong choices to the right one.

Sentence corrention

Here the best book is MGAMT SC, true but I read it twice , aven three times but is not for me. SC aristotle prep is better. It is more straightforward, after all the concepts tested are few.
The best advice is to spot the right choice thanks to the meaning. Try to evaluate what the sentence comunicates to you and after apply grammatical rules, idioms rules and so on.

Reading comprehension

Once again, I agree with the outhor of this discussion. Pre-think and use the stop strategy. After a single paragraph ask to yourself what is the author main point, the tone, the connection among the parts of the same. read the entire passage, once: the most difficult passage are strictly related from the beginning until the end, in a consistent manner.

Major Takeways

- practice as possible with official material aka OG. is not important that you do 2 or three times the OG, is important to undertand well each question before to move on the next.

- if you can buy the most underrated book on the entire gmat universe: this one Official Guide Companion for Sentence Correction. It explains each question in an excellent way, this is the right way to incorporate the concepts, how the test-writers think. After all, GMAT is a standard test where what you must solve in two minutes is repeated over and over and over again.

- Gmat is a test for business schools, is an entrance test; is a test that is not structured for the students who score well at the end of the day, month, semester. The gmat tests on how you move BEFORE you move into the argument's sake. It is a test on how you can achive a certain result with the minimum effort and the maximum gain, laveraging and bringing to your advantage what you have.

And last but not least: STAY MOTIVATED.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 297 [7] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
Kudos to you Souvik for starting this thread.
Though much has been discussed before this, however, i assume a fresh discussion is required in light of the changed pattern of verbal especially SC.
I think a lot of people including me approach SC in a very very mechanical way, trying to follow POE using the grammer rules. IMHO, This very methodology is faulty and is one of the biggest obstacle in our strive for V 40. As we move to the upper level questions, the usual 3-2 splits are gone, there are more than one and at times more than two grammatical correct answer choices and it becomes hard to decide the correct choice. So, to cut the long story short, The emphasis right from the beginning of the preparation should be on Style, usage and meaning and not on pure grammar.
I think the native speakers generally don't face much of a problem in verbal and most of them score above 35 in verbal. So It really boils down to the familiarity and ease with the language. The actual proplem lies in our non-familiarity with the language and more so the gmat type language, a weakness that very few admit.
As highlighted by Souvik that by the time we reach last 15-20 questions in verbal,we are just not able to think on the right lines. So what if we focus a lot on reading literature that uses gmat style? Although one is not doing a direct kind of preparation by doing so, however, reading subtly prepares us for not only SC but the entire verbal portion. I think it benefits maximum in RC in which we not only learn to read faster than before but also comprehend simultaneously. Here is what bb has to say on this issue
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html
The point i want to make here is that
WE CANNOT ACHIEVE A SCORE OF 40 BY LEARNING A BUNCH OF GRAMMAR RULES. IT'S OUR STANDING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT HAS A MAJOR ROLE TO PLAY AND STANDING CAN ONLY IMPROVE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME BY ENGAGING WITH THE LANGUAGE.
P.S.- Souvik, i hope i have not taken the discussion away from the subject being discussed. :oops:

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 03:45
Expert's post
Broadly speaking I never believed who score above 700 with 2 months or so.

My humble opinion. It is certainly true but they are only spare cases

Gmat need dedication for who is in particular NON native. Though I saww native completely dumb in english

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 04:08
Hi

Today ,I took my first mock and scored very bad, 500. I am very disappointed.
I was never good in verbal. I scored 12. Quant 49.

I am thinking i am not made for GMAT, can anyone advise me what to do?
Just wanna know can anyone improve from 500 - 700 + Level . Is it possible?(Honest answer Please)

thanks
Rahul
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3036 [0], given: 890

Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 05:53
Expert's post
rahulgautam1187 wrote:
Hi

Just wanna know can anyone improve from 500 - 700 + Level . Is it possible?(Honest answer Please)

thanks
Rahul

Hey
You nailed quant and if that is your first score then you need not look at quant for a couple of weeks in your prep.
V12 can be disappointing but people especially non natives do tend to possess a lot of premonitions which act as barriers.

As to your second question, nobody is made for the GMAT. I agree that certain people to tend to be naturals in standardized tests but I can assure you that with hard efforts people have been on the 99th percentile.
2 things you need to mention for us to take a closer look at your situation.

• How long do you intend to study for the GMAT?
  • What is your desired score?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 08:15
thanks for the reply Souvik..

I am working guy .. I am ready to put my efforts in the preparation till the time i scored well.
Even i think that i am not putting my best effort with best techniques( Please advise me such).

Please let me know if you can advise me a study plan.

I am definitely going to apply in next year as this year deadline is already gone for many college and i am not my best with GMAT.

I was targeting the GMAT score of 750+ but with this dismal mock score i am now targeting my score to 700+.I don't wanna lower my score than this one.

That was my first mock. Let me take my 2nd mock with some more preparation and then let me tell u my score on that.

Your words were encouraging. Actually, i was never able to good in any exam and i have never live up to my expectation and that disappoint me .
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3036 [2] , given: 890

Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rahulgautam1187 wrote:
thanks for the reply Souvik..

I am working guy .. I am ready to put my efforts in the preparation till the time i scored well.
Even i think that i am not putting my best effort with best techniques( Please advise me such).

Please let me know if you can advise me a study plan.

I am definitely going to apply in next year as this year deadline is already gone for many college and i am not my best with GMAT.

I was targeting the GMAT score of 750+ but with this dismal mock score i am now targeting my score to 700+.I don't wanna lower my score than this one.

That was my first mock. Let me take my 2nd mock with some more preparation and then let me tell u my score on that.

Your words were encouraging. Actually, i was never able to good in any exam and i have never live up to my expectation and that disappoint me .

You are good to go
But one last thing before you go head on with the prep.
Do not and I repeat DO NOT exhaust official CATs especially since you have used up one of them already.
I think at this stage you dont need to worry about your mock scores.
Start with a sound plan and then move up till you are done with 80% of your syllabus and then its time for you to take a CAT (unofficial in my opinion)
gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html?fl=menu
This is a good plan for almost every body!
All the best.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [2] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Though much has been discussed before this, however, i assume a fresh discussion is required in light of the changed pattern of verbal especially SC.
I think a lot of people including me approach SC in a very very mechanical way, trying to follow POE using the grammer rules. IMHO, This very methodology is faulty and is one of the biggest obstacle in our strive for V 40. As we move to the upper level questions, the usual 3-2 splits are gone, there are more than one and at times more than two grammatical correct answer choices and it becomes hard to decide the correct choice. So, to cut the long story short, The emphasis right from the beginning of the preparation should be on Style, usage and meaning and not on pure grammar.
I think the native speakers generally don't face much of a problem in verbal and most of them score above 35 in verbal. So It really boils down to the familiarity and ease with the language. The actual proplem lies in our non-familiarity with the language and more so the gmat type language, a weakness that very few admit.
As highlighted by Souvik that by the time we reach last 15-20 questions in verbal,we are just not able to think on the right lines. So what if we focus a lot on reading literature that uses gmat style? Although one is not doing a direct kind of preparation by doing so, however, reading subtly prepares us for not only SC but the entire verbal portion. I think it benefits maximum in RC in which we not only learn to read faster than before but also comprehend simultaneously. Here is what bb has to say on this issue
WE CANNOT ACHIEVE A SCORE OF 40 BY LEARNING A BUNCH OF GRAMMAR RULES. IT'S OUR STANDING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT HAS A MAJOR ROLE TO PLAY AND STANDING CAN ONLY IMPROVE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME BY ENGAGING WITH THE LANGUAGE.
P.S.- Souvik, i hope i have not taken the discussion away from the subject being discussed. :oops:

Rajeev as far as getting from V30 to V40 is concerned. IMHO a better strategy would be to go from V30-V35 and then from V35-V40.
As you may have seen several of non native speakers(Indians) manage to score like 680-720 with Q49-50, V31-36. So one can reach V35 without going back to the drawing board and reading several novels etc.

Following can help to get V35
- Repeated study of MGMAT SC(including making short notes)(3-5 times) + Powerscore CR(2-3 times).
- Practicing and reviewing OG12, 0GV2 slowly twice. Analyzing each SC/CR problem to find the takeways.
- Some Verbal Sectional Tests to see the progress.

From V35-V40 (to be done slowly in a period of 3-4 months)
Its all going to be pattern recognition and stamina.
- Practicing 2000 CR/RC problems from LSAT.
- 10 Full Length Tests with Thorough Review.

The problem with Reading Non Fiction and Learning Sentence Diagramming is that one is NOT sure whether it will yield proportionate results.
Native speakers have developed reading habit over decades can it be replicated by non native speakers in 6-8 months ? Some Verbal Tutors can tell from experience.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3036 [0], given: 890

Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:44
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:

Rajeev as far as getting from V30 to V40 is concerned. IMHO a better strategy would be to go from V30-V35 and then from V35-V40.
As you may have seen several of non native speakers(Indians) manage to score like 680-720 with Q49-50, V31-36. So one can reach V35 without going back to the drawing board and start reading several novels etc.

Following can help to get V35
- Repeated study of MGMAT SC(including making short notes)(3-5 times) + Powerscore CR(2-3 times).
- Practicing and reviewing OG12, 0GV2 slowly twice. Analyzing each SC/CR problem to find the takeways.
- Some Verbal Sectional Tests to see the progress.

From V35-V40 (to be done slowly in a period of 3-4 months)
Its all going to be pattern recognition and stamina.
- Practicing 2000 CR/RC problems from LSAT.
- 10 Full Length Tests with Thorough Review.

The problem with Reading Non Fiction and Learning Sentence Diagramming is that one is NOT sure whether it will yield proportionate results.
Native speakers have developed reading habit over decades can it be replicated by non native speakers in 6-8 months ? Some Verbal Tutors can tell from experience.

I agree with most of this.
Probably not for doing 2000CR/RC problems from LSAT.
Doing a huge number of very difficult problems might do more damage than good especially with CR.
10 full length tests is also an overkill.
AbhiJ, you are completely spot on IMO about getting to V35. After that, I think its all about going official.
My advice is to just intenralize the GMAT patterns and traps. Going through every SC and CR qestion on the official guides and probably deconstruct them like a madman. A better ROI would be possible in that case IMO.
The GMATPrep Q Pack can also come to be very useful.
Best resource, as always, is MGMAT forums by Mr. Ron Purewal and Stacey Koprince. (all personal opionions)

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 12:54
I think...every possible material is mentioned fr V30 to V 35....but i feel
Two most important things must be added....
1. Over all verbal is about BIG picture thinking.....Mostly Cr, it can be won if we see the big picture of the argument, do not get bogged down in the specifics...come out with general conclusion in you own words....and go fr the kill.

2. Aristotle CR grail.....Believe i have gone through Powerscore for more than 5 times...no doubt has helped me a lot...Veritas prep, etc....But Aristotle CR's nthn like it...Clear concise and to the point...You can possibly finish the whole book in 10-15 days....fr sure you will see the difference....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 18:07
Archit143 wrote:
I think...every possible material is mentioned fr V30 to V 35....but i feel
Two most important things must be added....
1. Over all verbal is about BIG picture thinking.....Mostly Cr, it can be won if we see the big picture of the argument, do not get bogged down in the specifics...come out with general conclusion in you own words....and go fr the kill.

2. Aristotle CR grail.....Believe i have gone through Powerscore for more than 5 times...no doubt has helped me a lot...Veritas prep, etc....But Aristotle CR's nthn like it...Clear concise and to the point...You can possibly finish the whole book in 10-15 days....fr sure you will see the difference....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit

Hi BB/Archit and all,

No one here mentioned about GMAT prep pack 1 the set of exams from from source.
Can we discuss it here.
>How are they,
>what frequency they should be taken at,
>How many exams come in that set
>Are explanations present in that exam.

Also can we compare Aristotle CR and Powerscore CR. I really need help in CR/RC section.
As i feel books cannot help much in improving CR and RC. But still i will buy one of those if they are really helpful.

I have MGMAT guides as well OG,12. Will getting any new books help me?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 07:46
This is real good stuff by souvik. I'm consistently hovering arounfd 33 ( 30-35) and not able to score more. Hopefully this would. Thanks for the wonderful thread.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 04:29
well finally i found something which i have been looking for a very long time !!!

Anyways....assumption made by the souvik of getting verbal score of 30 well honestly...i am not able to consistently score 30 or more (did it just once in veritas CAT 30 only) but reading these blogs help me alot !!!

Will look forward to share if i will able to achieve some good score.

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 07:26
Hi,

I took my GMAT recently, and my score in verbal pulled down my overall score. I plan to study for my second attempt. Can someone please suggest some good books for verbal. I had practised OG while preparing, and my accuracy while practising was around 88%. But, somehow during the test it didn't translate into a decent score:(

After solving OG once or twice, I already know the answers to the questions, hence, concerned that when I refer it again I would know the answers beforehand. How would that help me?

Someone do let me know how to approach it, also is there any other material apart from OG and MGMAT SC.
Expert Post
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 08:02
Expert's post
ns1984 wrote:
Hi,

I took my GMAT recently, and my score in verbal pulled down my overall score. I plan to study for my second attempt. Can someone please suggest some good books for verbal. I had practised OG while preparing, and my accuracy while practising was around 88%. But, somehow during the test it didn't translate into a decent score:(

After solving OG once or twice, I already know the answers to the questions, hence, concerned that when I refer it again I would know the answers beforehand. How would that help me?

Someone do let me know how to approach it, also is there any other material apart from OG and MGMAT SC.

Hi Most of them follow

MGMAT SC for SC.
Aristotle SC.
PowerScore CR Bible.
Kaplan Verbal Workbook

Also Please look into this post by regarding the best books.

If you are looking for any classes,

Please look into this POST for Courses.

Hope this helps :)

Believe you can and you're halfway there- Theodore Roosevelt

Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Improving from V30 to V40 | Improving from Q35-40 to Q47 | Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013

Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 11:50
Souvik-

I am here with a heart as heavy as a rock. I have my exam booked for the 25th of this month. I attended some classes in March, went for three months and found GMAT to be very difficult. Personal problems came up, so dint really study. Honest preparations started three months back. I started with the materials I got at the centre. They were hardcore, way above my level-any given day!! Later,I did the OG and I had somewhere between 60-70 % accuracy. I found the material quite easy. I did not time myself during the whole process. I then got my hands on MGMAT study guides. I started preparing with them. I felt I understood most of the material and I was in a better place than I was before. I did some practice problems from some books I have and I still was at the 60-70%.

During the whole deal, I never took any practice mock test. The fear of defeat kept me out of that hole. Now, 17 days for my exam, I took my first mock test- MGMAT Free Test. I scored Q37 and V25. I always had a better hand at verbal, I thought. Anyhow, timing was a huge problem. I had 37 secs left and 10 question to go in Quant. I guesses them all,6/10 were correct. My total was 520. Now, I am not sure what to do with myself or with the test. I have an inner gut feeling that I can crack the exam. But, gut wont be enough, would it?

Someone say something nice. I desperately need some thing to hang on to.

--Dejected Mock-Test Taker
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 15:37
I am in the same boat. Gave my exam on Nov 30, 2013. Scored a dismal 640 Q48, V29. At this stage, I am thinking of retaking the exam next month so that I can give the exam atleast 20 days before the application deadlines of my targeted schools.I want to know here is to improve my verbal, understand that I have to study OG again with a different perspective especially SC and CR questions. Don't have the patience and time to do the RC passages. I had also downloaded GMATprep questions posted by Souvik. Will they be helpful as well ? Considering I have around a month's time for the preparation or I should refer to something else. Please help. I am in big need of it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 09:58
Thank you for your amazing post! I'll continue to fail better)!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to go to V40 from V30 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
rahulgautam1187 wrote:
Hi

thanks
Rahul

Don not worry, I gave my first mock here on gmat club itself. And scored a V19. And guess what, after 2 months of preparation I am at V25. So keep studying hard and keep yourself motivated. Give mock tests regularly (once a month or so) and keep a track of your progress. In my case, studying monotonously for days and weeks drains all the motivation out of me but it is the mock test which charges my battery again. I've seen people prepare for this exam and get done with it in 3 months. Well, Lets just admit that you and me are not one of them. But GMAT doesn't force you to give an exam on one date, right? so take your time. I know that I for sure would take at least a year to be fully prepared. But that's okay. This is one exam that can change a lot. Make it or break it.
Re: How to go to V40 from V30   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2014, 22:22