Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 10:47
I have been constantly getting 40+ in quantitative section but tanking in verbal part. I am scoring high 20s in verbal. I have so far completed, OG-11, OG Verbal Review, MGMAT 2 Tests, GMAT PREP Tests.

Any suggestions, comments and tips on how to improve score in verbal?

Thanks alot!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
I would get the PowerScore book for Critical Reasoning and also for Sentence Correction.

After you go through those two books check out the ManhattanGMAT Sentence Correction book.

Once you read through all those then you can do the SC1000 to practice (google it). I think CR1000 also exists - I only used OG to practice CR.

For Reading Comprehension I would just read CNN/WSJ/NYTIMES daily.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 12:02
and use the search engine!

there are lots of threads asking for the same information...

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 14:38
Hi every one,

I am a new member and the reason I am here is to get some help from a good man. I have taken two GMAT tests so far. I totally spent about 4 and half months on them, not all the days but significant amount of time. I study by my self as I always have done in my life. I am not an English native language person. However, I have a master in management from an english language university, so I should not have problem with the language. I really do not know why I am so weak in verbal and why I have not gotten any better since the last time I took GMAT. I got Q44, V15 in the first exam. After one month and 24 days study , I again took the second exam, but, I could only promote my V from 15 to 17. Meanwhile I got 45 for Q. I really do not know what should I do.

What I have done?

I read Master of Gmat, 2010, MGMAT, OG Review 12 Ed( just questions without taking the time), OG 11( SC)
I read these books only one time.I can not say how deep but i tried to learn. I knew in theory many things, but i feel the exam is quite different.
I also making lots of flashcards from new words and hints that I took from the texts, and exams, which is near to to 2500 ones.
I also took both standard GMAT prep files. In all, my verbal were not good and I could only answer to half the 41 questions.

My target: 650-700

but I got 490 in the first one and 510 in the second one.
my questions:
Is my Q good now?
Why I am so weak in verbal, while I am good at math and English?
can I take another exam in next two months? how could possible to get the target?( need for apply, etc)
Further helps?

Thanks,
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 01:35
Expert's post
johnpeter wrote:
I am scoring high 20s in verbal. I have so far completed, OG-11, OG Verbal Review, MGMAT 2 Tests, GMAT PREP Tests.

Any suggestions, comments and tips on how to improve score in verbal?

Thanks alot!

I don't see any guidebooks in your GMAT study arsenal. Immediately purchase the Powerscore CR Bible and the Manhattan SC guide. Read them over and over until you feel fully comfortable with the concepts. For RC improvement, just start off with some GMAT Fiction and RC practice. The LSAT RC passages are actually very good, so use those too.

The main issue is to adopt a more active and aggressive attitude, not a passive one. Simply completing the verbal questions and checking the answers in the OG is not enough. Make sure to fully read every explanation - even for the questions that you answer correctly. And become an active member in the GMATClub verbal forums. Answer the questions for SC and CR on the forums, but explain your answer fully and defend your position (Why do you think option A is correct? Why are the other choices incorrect?).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5037 [0], given: 164

Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 18:54
Expert's post
sedamin wrote:
Hi every one,

I am a new member and the reason I am here is to get some help from a good man. I have taken two GMAT tests so far. I totally spent about 4 and half months on them, not all the days but significant amount of time. I study by my self as I always have done in my life. I am not an English native language person. However, I have a master in management from an english language university, so I should not have problem with the language. I really do not know why I am so weak in verbal and why I have not gotten any better since the last time I took GMAT. I got Q44, V15 in the first exam. After one month and 24 days study , I again took the second exam, but, I could only promote my V from 15 to 17. Meanwhile I got 45 for Q. I really do not know what should I do.

What I have done?

I read Master of Gmat, 2010, MGMAT, OG Review 12 Ed( just questions without taking the time), OG 11( SC)
I read these books only one time.I can not say how deep but i tried to learn. I knew in theory many things, but i feel the exam is quite different.
I also making lots of flashcards from new words and hints that I took from the texts, and exams, which is near to to 2500 ones.
I also took both standard GMAT prep files. In all, my verbal were not good and I could only answer to half the 41 questions.

My target: 650-700

but I got 490 in the first one and 510 in the second one.
my questions:
Is my Q good now?
Why I am so weak in verbal, while I am good at math and English?
can I take another exam in next two months? how could possible to get the target?( need for apply, etc)
Further helps?

Thanks,

Though basic comfort in English is must for GMAT, it doesn't automatically translate into a good Verbal score... Remember, GMAT verbal question formats require strategies... What kind of questions you get? How to approach each different kind? What is the most important thing to focus on? What are the kinds of errors GMAT tests you on in SC? etc. If you are not intuitively fine with these question formats, you need to give some attention to many such questions and establish what works best for you. Again, RC passages can be long and soporific so you need to know how you will tackle them without wasting time. Just practicing and hoping that things will stick may not work out... Pick up some GMAT specific Verbal books which will tell you what strategies could be useful and what to keep in mind while tackling various question types... e.g. Veritas CR1, CR2, SC1, SC2 and RC books could be very helpful...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: How to Improve Verbal? Quant 44, Verbal 26   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2011, 18:54