Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to improve verbal score beyond 40 ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
how to improve verbal score beyond 40 ? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 15:23
Hi guys,
how can I increase my verbal score from 40/41 to about 44 (3-4 points )
my accuracy in (gmat prep mocks)
RC -90 to 100%
CR-80%
SC-70-75%

Facing Stamina (feel drained out after Q34 ie last 7 questions on verbal) and
minor timing issues (taking too long to crack CR and long SC questions)

current quant score around 48/49 (missing 15-12 questions) ; How many questions do I need to get right for a Q50??

Wanted your suggestions on the above.[How long will it take (on average) ,what resources can I use, etc]
Can it be done in 2 weeks?
Will highly appreciate your inputs on this. Thanks

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: how to improve verbal score beyond 40 ? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 18:12
Your RC should be 100%. To practice, I would just go through the OG and start to read. The Wall Street Journal and The Economist should be on your list, as well as books from this thread. Then, you need to find a method for doing well on RC. Some people read the entire passage, some skim it, some take notes, etc. I read the entire passage and take notes.

Your SC must be close to 100%. Luckily, SC is easy to improve. Take a look at Sentence Correction by Manhattan GMAT. Your SC will also improve by reading as suggested for RC.

To improve CR, take a look at PowerScore CR.

The GMAT is not scored on percentage correct. You could score a 50% but still get a 730. For example, on one GMATPrep, I only got 40-something percent of the quantitative questions correct, but got a 48. I think you could complete this prep in two weeks, but you will have to work very hard.

For stamina, make sure to schedule your GMAT at a time that works for you. Like to sleep in late? Do not schedule the GMAT for 8:00 AM. Think better in the morning? Schedule it for 8:00 AM. Also, make sure to take some snacks. Have a look at this thread. I took my GMAT at 1 PM and ate a Snickers bar and a banana during each of my breaks and felt no drain whatsoever during verbal.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: how to improve verbal score beyond 40 ? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 19:57
Thanks for ur inputs but my RC accuracy is already close to 100 as mentioned above and I am using the powerscore CR and mgmt sc books you suggested.

Posted from my mobile device Image

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: how to improve verbal score beyond 40 ?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 19:57