Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve verbal section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to improve verbal section [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 22:33
I am international student.
Please help me out with the magazines or books shall i refer to improve my English (to make in accordance with American style of writing)
Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to improve verbal section [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 22:46
How much time do you have? I would read a variety of articles in English off http://news.google.com

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: How to improve verbal section [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 03:09
Expert's post
kolu123 wrote:
I am international student.
Please help me out with the magazines or books shall i refer to improve my English (to make in accordance with American style of writing)

First of all, you need to read this article

http://www.mba.com/mbacommunity/MBA_com ... -exam.aspx

where GMAC has explicitly said, "For years, GMAC has paid close attention to the growing international make up of GMAT test takers and has worked to assure that the exam is not viewed as – nor is it actually --an American test. As the GMAT exam has expanded globally and been taken by more students from around the world, GMAC has continually made extra efforts to ensure that newly introduced GMAT items do not depend on familiarity with distinctively American expressions and usages. We have taken steps all along the way to ensure global fairness and appropriateness."

Read the complete article.

That said, it is a good idea to read books to improve your language skills. The article goes on to say, "Still, every language everywhere in the world consists of idioms, or standard constructions that are not literally derived from the most basic rules of grammar and vocabulary. Some Sentence Correction items continue to pose reasoning tasks that incorporate English language, NOT American, idioms."

The following link will give you ideas:

books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1266

Kudos [?]: 3517 [0], given: 185

Re: How to improve verbal section [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 05:25
Expert's post
While reading make sure that you read strategically - Read slowly focusing on sentence structure, modifiers, parallelism etc. Make sure that you understand the intended meaning that the author is trying to communicate. Also focus on American media such as WSJ, economist, Nytimes.com (excellent opinions column), discover magazine etc.

One of our customers compiled a list of articles that you could use to get started. Click on the link below for the list.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-verbal- ... 85908.html

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Re: How to improve verbal section   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2012, 05:25