Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to increase Quantitative Score??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

How to increase Quantitative Score?? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 09:53
Hi All,

I have trying hard to increase my quantitative score from 40-42 to like 48-50 range. Can someone please shed some light as to what is the right formula to hit that sweet spot of 50? FYI, I have been getting around 15-17 questions wrong in both the Gmat Prep and PowerPrep tests.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 10:58
Have you tried Kaplan's GMAT 800? I used it and got a 50 on my Q.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 18:25
I too am having problems with quantitative. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 19:47
OK. here u go --

take OG11 problems, their suppliment problems and paper test problems. Sit and do all. Wherever the part of concepts comes, clear it and then move. Make sure u remember the concept applied. After all, its not problems matter but concept matters a lot. Once ur concepts are clear, what else is needed? nothing.. but concentration. Reduce ur silly mistakes.

and yeah.. word problems. I belive word problems are easier once equations are formed. But understanding the language of word problems and forming equation is tough job. So practice word problems.

Keep ur study material limited. Use other books for clearing concept. As for problems, use GMAT only. Other problems does not have same level of tricky level which GMAT have. So understand GMAT tricks.

regards,
Yash
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 20:23
yash500 wrote:
OK. here u go --

take OG11 problems, their suppliment problems and paper test problems. Sit and do all. Wherever the part of concepts comes, clear it and then move. Make sure u remember the concept applied. After all, its not problems matter but concept matters a lot. Once ur concepts are clear, what else is needed? nothing.. but concentration. Reduce ur silly mistakes.

and yeah.. word problems. I belive word problems are easier once equations are formed. But understanding the language of word problems and forming equation is tough job. So practice word problems.

Keep ur study material limited. Use other books for clearing concept. As for problems, use GMAT only. Other problems does not have same level of tricky level which GMAT have. So understand GMAT tricks.

regards,
Yash
Thank you for the great advise. I think right now I am still making some silly mistakes and not remembering all the concepts I have learned so far from the OG11 and supplements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 21:23
lonesome, I started solving the problems and trying to learn from there. after a while, I realised that wasn't working: I wasn't learning all the concepts of a specific topic, but just a fewthings about it here and there.

So I refocused on learning all the basics first, then solving the OG. After I did that, everything seemed much easier. Somehow it also makes me not do as much careless mistakes as before.

If I were you, I'd cover the basics in some other source, MGMAT is a good tool, and then I would get into the OG.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to increase Quantitative Score?? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2007, 02:14
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi All,

I have trying hard to increase my quantitative score from 40-42 to like 48-50 range. Can someone please shed some light as to what is the right formula to hit that sweet spot of 50? FYI, I have been getting around 15-17 questions wrong in both the Gmat Prep and PowerPrep tests.

Thanks!

I would suggest the following to you:

--> Solve the last 3rd of OG 11. No point wasting your time of the first 3rd since your score is already around 42. In my opinion, the first 2/3rds of the book will hardly contribute in moving your score up. Most importantly, as many have mentioned, focus on the concepts. Mark all the questions you get wrong and revisit them in 3-4 weeks time. See if you can solve them then.

--> Start solving the questions on the Math forum here. Though a lot of them are quite hard, they will really push your bar higher. The folks out here are the best and they will really help you understand something that makes no sense to you.

--> As soon as you feel a little confident about taking the next step, gain access to the GMATClub Challenges. Again, these are a bunch of hard questions and they will surely help you.

Keep this in mind:

--> The more comfortable you get with harder questions, the better (since its adaptive)

--> Unless you keep an error log (copy and paste the questions that you got wrong into a word doc.) and revisit it periodically, your improvement will be snail paced.
Manager
Manager

Re: How to increase Quantitative Score?? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2007, 09:37
GK_Gmat wrote:
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

I would suggest the following to you:

--> Solve the last 3rd of OG 11. No point wasting your time of the first 3rd since your score is already around 42. In my opinion, the first 2/3rds of the book will hardly contribute in moving your score up. Most importantly, as many have mentioned, focus on the concepts. Mark all the questions you get wrong and revisit them in 3-4 weeks time. See if you can solve them then.

--> Start solving the questions on the Math forum here. Though a lot of them are quite hard, they will really push your bar higher. The folks out here are the best and they will really help you understand something that makes no sense to you.

--> As soon as you feel a little confident about taking the next step, gain access to the GMATClub Challenges. Again, these are a bunch of hard questions and they will surely help you.

Keep this in mind:

--> The more comfortable you get with harder questions, the better (since its adaptive)

--> Unless you keep an error log (copy and paste the questions that you got wrong into a word doc.) and revisit it periodically, your improvement will be snail paced.
Thanks guys for all the great advise. So far, I have kept error log of all the questions I have done in OG11. I have also trying to solve all the questions I got wrong in Gmat Prep and PowerPrep. I have recently bought all MGMAT Quant. books and going over the concepts. These books are really helpful and I can already see some difference in my approach to quant. questions!! I will start solving more problems at Gmatclub.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Keep track of errors [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2007, 21:13
I always marked the questions I did wrong and went back to those wrong questions after a week. Keep reviewing them. It helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2007, 22:14
Also, slap yourself as hard as you can every time you get a question wrong that you should had gotten right. Don't know if it works, but I'm kind of getting tired of those :-D
  [#permalink] 14 Dec 2007, 22:14