Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2015, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2015, 00:38
Experts,

I scored 600 (Q44, V28) on my GMAT. I need to improve my verbal score to get my total around 700.
What is the best way for non native english speaker to improve verbal score?
I always get around 14-16 incorrect questions in Verbal (4-5 in each of CR, SC and RC).

Also, what are the best sources to practice/learn 700+ quant questions?

Thanks a ton!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2015, 01:12
So I am a native english speaker, but I think there are a few words of advice I can give with my practices so far (I'm focused on trying to improve as well).

I'd say to become more methodical in your approach. Do you know what your biggest weakness is? If it's sentence correction, I'd focus solely on that until you feel that you're at peak performance. I'd learn the theories and the content.

Then I'd focus on the next weak point.

For me, sentence correction was by far my weakest compared to RC and CR, so I focused on it first. I've noticed a not only a gain in correct answers, but also confidence and speed in answering the questions on my practice exams.

I hope this helps,

Kaplan CAT 1 - 640 (49Q/30V) - 1/11/15
Kaplan CAT 2 - 640 (47Q/31V) - 1/18/15
Kaplan CAT 3 - 640 (48Q/29V) - 2/1/15
Kaplan CAT 4 - 660 (47Q/33V) - 2/8/15
MGMAT CAT 1 - 640 (44Q/34V) - 2/15/15

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 36

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2015, 13:11
Expert's post
Hi rkochher6139,

Using your GMAT score as a reference, you have an opportunity to pick up those missing points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before offering any advice, I'd like to know how you've studied before and your timeline:

1) When did you take your GMAT?
2) How long did you study before you took the GMAT?
3) What resources did you use during your studies?
4) How did you score on your practice CATs?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

EMPOWERgmat GMAT Club Page, Study Plans, & Discounts
http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/empowergmat-discount/?fl=menu

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2015, 18:12
Thanks!
Please see answers inline.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rkochher6139,

Using your GMAT score as a reference, you have an opportunity to pick up those missing points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before offering any advice, I'd like to know how you've studied before and your timeline:

1) When did you take your GMAT?
Feb second week, 2015
2) How long did you study before you took the GMAT?
Around 3 months
3) What resources did you use during your studies?
Veritas Books.
4) How did you score on your practice CATs?
GMATPrep 580
Veritas 680
Veritas 680
Veritas 700
Veritas 680
Veritas 690
GMATPrep 600

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
If I can improve my score by March end, I can still meet Deadline 3 of my target colleges. Else It will be next year.

Rich
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2015, 21:51
Expert's post
Hi rkochher6139,

Since most of your practice CAT scores are higher than your Official GMAT score, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took those CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What time of day did you take those CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
3) Did you do ANYTHING during those CATs that would be considered "unrealistic" (re. pausing the CAT, skipping sections, taking it at home, listening to music, etc.)?

4) How did you sleep the night before your Official GMAT?
5) How long is the ride to the Testing Center from your home?

6) Have you scheduled another Test Date yet? If so, then when is it?

With a potential late March Test Date, you COULD pick up those missing points in the time that you have. You'll likely need to invest in some new resources and practice some new tactics though.

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 09:43
Expert's post
rkochher6139 wrote:
Experts,

I scored 600 (Q44, V28) on my GMAT. I need to improve my verbal score to get my total around 700.
I always get around 14-16 incorrect questions in Verbal (4-5 in each of CR, SC and RC).

Thanks a ton!!

Hi Rkochher6139,

I'm not sure which questions you need help with the most, but I did see that you mentioned CR, SC and RC in your post. Here's a link that provides a good overview on how you can prep for different Verbal questions as a non native English speaker: http://econgm.at/vUfDKi. Hope this helps as you prep for the retake!

Jessica

http://econgm.at/freetrialoffer
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 22:02
Hello Rich,

Please find answers inline.
What are the best resources for Verbal? Also, how can i increase from Q44 to 49-50?

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rkochher6139,

Since most of your practice CAT scores are higher than your Official GMAT score, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took those CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
I took entire CAT in my last 4 attempts.

2) What time of day did you take those CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
I took half of my CAT's around noon on saturday same as my official exam and half at nights during weekdays.

3) Did you do ANYTHING during those CATs that would be considered "unrealistic" (re. pausing the CAT, skipping sections, taking it at home, listening to music, etc.)?
I replicated as much as possible. phone in silent mode, took 8 minutes break etc.

4) How did you sleep the night before your Official GMAT?
Was good.
5) How long is the ride to the Testing Center from your home?
20 minutes and i went to the place a week before to get familiar of the building.

6) Have you scheduled another Test Date yet? If so, then when is it?
I am planning second attempt, but I have not finalized date yet.

With a potential late March Test Date, you COULD pick up those missing points in the time that you have. You'll likely need to invest in some new resources and practice some new tactics though.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 3

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 03:16
Hello,

A 28 on the verbal indicates some minor conceptual gaps - You might first want to fix them. So the first thing that you might want to do is to make a list of all the concepts tested on the GMAT.

Then, go over the questions that you have made an error and find out why you made an error. You must also make sure that you don't repeat the same errors once more anywhere.

As a final step, catch hold of GMAT Prep questions and then solve them. Make sure you analyse each question to find out your shortcoming.

Work on your strengths and become stronger on those areas - These will over-shadow your weak areas.

Hope that helps :)

www.gmat.crackverbal.com

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 12:15
Expert's post
Hi rkochher6139,

The answers that you provided did not raise any 'red flags', but there still has to be a reason (or reasons) for your Official Score. It's worth noting that your scores on the GMATPrep CATs are almost a perfect match for how you performed on the Official GMAT, while all of your other scores appear "inflated." This means that something is "off" with either those CATs or how you took them.

Using your 600 as a baseline, you have some serious work to do in a short period of time (to raise your score to 700+). I think that you'll find the EMPOWERgmat Score Booster Study Plan to be quite helpful in this regard. I suggest that you try out the free resources on our site (the link is on the main page) and see how you perform. Since you've put in a good chunk of study time already, we don't have to teach you a lot of new material, but you have to make some adjustments to how you "see" (and respond to) the GMAT to achieve your desired results.

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 13:18
Thanks Rich!
I have decided that I won't apply for this year. However, I still want to give my GMAT by April end/May start.
I will definitely check the free resources you mention.

Based on various posts that I have read so far, Here is what i think:

1. I should start with Verbal and focus on all 3 topics.
2. I got powerscore CR bible for CR. I am still confused about SC, I read about MGMAT SC and EGMAT (read its really good for non natives).
3. Not sure how should i study about RC.Please help.
4. What is the best place for Quant 600-800 level questions? I have solved all 404 Q questions in OG13
5. For Quant, I believe I need to focus on basics. I focused too much on Perm., Comb and Prob. and there was only 1 question. I am scared from Modes and Number line.

Lastly, I believe GMATPrep is the best simulator. So, once I am prepared, i would buy their extra exams.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rkochher6139,

The answers that you provided did not raise any 'red flags', but there still has to be a reason (or reasons) for your Official Score. It's worth noting that your scores on the GMATPrep CATs are almost a perfect match for how you performed on the Official GMAT, while all of your other scores appear "inflated." This means that something is "off" with either those CATs or how you took them.

Using your 600 as a baseline, you have some serious work to do in a short period of time (to raise your score to 700+). I think that you'll find the EMPOWERgmat Score Booster Study Plan to be quite helpful in this regard. I suggest that you try out the free resources on our site (the link is on the main page) and see how you perform. Since you've put in a good chunk of study time already, we don't have to teach you a lot of new material, but you have to make some adjustments to how you "see" (and respond to) the GMAT to achieve your desired results.

Rich
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 18:48
Expert's post
Hi rkochher6139,

Since you've already put in some solid study time, continuing to study (and taking care of the GMAT now) is a smart choice.

With your goal score and current GMAT score, you clearly need to spend more time on your Verbal practice. However, you should NOT take an "all Verbal, all the time" approach. You'll want to mix in some Quant practice along the way. To that end, while you certainly need some new practice questions to work with, what you really need is a GMAT product that with teach you the necessary TACTICS that you need to properly deal with the Quant and Verbal sections. To hit the next score "level", you have to change how you "see" (and respond to) this Test. Continuing to answer questions in the same way is not likely to get you to a 700+.

While the 4 Official CATs that you can get from www.mba.com are arguably the best CATs, that fact does NOT mean that the other CATs are "bad." If you've already used a CAT, but you're looking for a realistic experience and a realistic assessment of your skills, then you need to use a "new" CAT (re: one that you have not used before).

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.05
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Premium Member
Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 20:04
rkochher6139 wrote:
Experts,

Thanks a ton!!

E-GMAT really helped me get over my Verbal hump. I was topping out at V31 and it helped me hit V37.

High level quant questions - try Jeff Sackman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: How to increase score from 600 to 700+ ?   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2015, 20:04