Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:04

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 12:59
How would you recommend I interpret the average GMAT scores that some schools post on their websites? They are usually under FAQs or sometimes under class profiles.

My interpretation would be that I need to have a higher score than that to be seriously considered. Is that accurate?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 17:02
This post received
KUDOS
gettingerb wrote:
How would you recommend I interpret the average GMAT scores that some schools post on their websites? They are usually under FAQs or sometimes under class profiles.

My interpretation would be that I need to have a higher score than that to be seriously considered. Is that accurate?

No, because if everyone scores above the average then there would be a new higher average.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 17:26
Like lagomez said, the average is the average... People get accepted with scores lower than the average and there are applicants who get rejected with higher GMAT scores.

The GMAT isn't the only component to the application; your GPA, EC's and work experience are all tied into the deciding process.

If you are below average in the other categories, then yes, it would be best to raise the GMAT score. Is there a minimum? For the top schools, I suppose so. Generally, you'd want to be at least within 50 points of that average. Again, it's more a matter of scoring as much as possible.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 12:40
Average means just that - the average score of admitted students. Some admitted probably scored higher and some lower. Average is only so useful without range/deviation/median info so you don't know minimum of maximum info (i.e. five 650 scores and five 750 scores average to 700 but so do nine 690 scores and one 790). So you can see that stat is only so telling. Being above the average will help you sleep better at night but students will be admitted with scores below that number. The AAA has a good survey of accounting doctorate programs where they lay out minimum GMAT's that will be considered. It depends on the school with generally top tier schools above 700 and mid-level above 650.
Re: How to interpret average GMAT scores on University webpages   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2010, 12:40