Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to leverage a unique profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to leverage a unique profile? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 04:59
Dear All,

I did my undergraduate studies in Middle East Studies, with a focus in Arabic language and culture. 3.2 accumulative GPA / 3.9 GPA in my major studies. Immediately following graduation, I moved to the Middle East in order to become fluent in Arabic. I've lived here for three years and I'm now fluent and I will come back to the US to apply for MBA programs. I'm 24 by the way.

I taught economics in an American international high school while abroad. I worked as a freelance translator, covering a wide range of industries. I also did corporate English training, often dual bilingual training sessions. I started a small English training company while abroad; however, it was ultimately shut down due to protectionism laws in the country. It was quite successful during its time open.

How can I leverage this experience in order to be competitive at high ranked MBA programs? Do I stand a true chance at the higher end of MBA schools? I took the GRE and don't plan on taking the GMAT. I scored 700V 780Q 5.0W.

I'm targeting international MBA programs like the Wharton MBA/Lauder MA in international affairs.

Thank you for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Re: How to leverage a unique profile? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 10:21
First, I'm not entirely sure that your experiences, though interesting, can necessarily be classified as "unique". I have several friends who have done very similar things but in different countries (taught and did independent consulting in rural areas of Japan, China, etc.).

I think the key things with ALL experiences that adcoms keep in mind (not just "unique" experiences) are:
- how selective is your line of work? Could most undergraduates, if they felt like it, just up and begin to do what you did?
- how substantial is your work from a leadership standpoint? Did you improve the school's operations, improve test scores, get looked to as an established mentor for students, etc.? What kind of impact did you have?

I think if you can convey those two things in your experiences, then the "uniqueness" factor will be a plus. Otherwise it might be a hindrance, since adcoms won't know what to make of your resume.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: How to leverage a unique profile? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 08:27
Further to what hello212 said, I think you're underestimating how "unique" your profile really is - in the sense that it's not something they've never seen before. But also to be honest the "teach English abroad" profile isn't something adcoms at top b-schools are really interested in. Historically, there's been a negative stigma attached to it - it's the lost Westerner who doesn't know what he/she wants to do with his life, so he/she goes abroad to teach English, tutor and train kids or employees in English, etc. In some cases, it's viewed as a working vacation, and not really a "career track" sort of job. Your situation might be different, but just know that you'll be up against preconceptions about the "teach English abroad" - preconceptions that you alone won't be able to change.

Given that you're young, what I strongly suggest is to come back to the US, and work for at least a year or two before applying. Work in a corporate environment - any sort of job function (marketing, operations, finance/accounting, product management, etc.) that can build a foundation for a business career.

That's also the big reason why adcoms are skeptical - because with your background as it stands today, even with a top MBA, you'll have a significantly harder time finding a post-MBA job when your resume is up against other MBAs with work experience that is more substantive (because they have more of it - they're 1-3 years older) and more suited towards a corporate/business environment.

Again, I would try and work 1-2 more years before applying - not only will it make you more competitive for b-school, it'll put you in a better position post-MBA as well.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: How to leverage a unique profile?   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2012, 08:27