Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to make a decision - Retake or NOT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to make a decision - Retake or NOT [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 05:58
Hello All,

I recently scored a 700 (48Q and 37V) on my GMAT. I am relieved because I touched 700 but disappointed because I think I can do better.

After having a look at the Pearson tests, I feel they are undoubtedly tougher than the current GMAT, so my estimation is that the test will get tougher.

Please give some advice on

1. What should be the motivation to retake (What are the valid reasons)
2. What is the strategy if I want to retake
3. Finally, some experiences of people when they retook, hopefully if we could get some real numbers for No. of people who retook and bested their score by more than 30 points, more than 50 points etc.

I think it would be very helpful if we could run a poll and get some numbers, a lot of people who just touch 700 (especially the 680-710 range where there is most confusion of whether to retake or not) have these kind of queries and it would be a very beneficial tool for them.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 06:12
Tough question ! This is a very personal decision and vary widely from person to person. I retook my GMAT after scoring 710 in my first attempt, even though almost all ppl said not to bother with a retake. My thot process was the following:

1. 710 was the worst score I got compared to my practice scores (except KAP).From the get-go in the test, I was having a bad day, starting from a bad overcrowded test centre.

2. Realized number of mistakes I made in my first attempt.

3. I belong to hyper competitive indian pool where avg GMAT is 750 -- this may be a myth, but cudn't leave it upto just chances.

See this thread, where I talked abt what changes I made in my prep for 2nd attempt.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17675

Good luck in whatever u decide !

Last edited by banerjeea_98 on 30 Sep 2005, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Good Points [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 10:57
Thanks Banerjee for the input

1. You know I was always scoring around 700-710 in most of my tests,so the real score was not a surpize. It is not that ETS did not evaluate me correctly, actually it did a perfect job, but if I give it again, it will be more for personal achievement, because I feel 700 is not me. I don't know if this is the right attitude
2. I also belong to the superaccomplished Indian crowd :( What to do :evil:

Lets see..what i can do
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Good Points [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 11:25
Ghunoo wrote:
Thanks Banerjee for the input

1. You know I was always scoring around 700-710 in most of my tests,so the real score was not a surpize. It is not that ETS did not evaluate me correctly, actually it did a perfect job, but if I give it again, it will be more for personal achievement, because I feel 700 is not me. I don't know if this is the right attitude
2. I also belong to the superaccomplished Indian crowd :( What to do :evil:

Lets see..what i can do

What were ur PP scores BEFORE you went through OG ? If they were 700-710 then there is a chance that u underperformed.
Re: Good Points   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2005, 11:25

How to make a decision - Retake or NOT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap