Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to not have an anxiety attack DURING the test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How to not have an anxiety attack DURING the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 18:21
Sometimes when I take the test I feel like I have an anxiety attack or something. I'm on a math prob or CR prob and just not getting it. Then Im like CRAP I'm taking too much time, move on...

Then of course something has to happen, noises, bugs, dog barks, mailman, asteroid comes through the roof etc... anyway the tiniest thing annoys the SHIT out of me during this test and breaks my concentration.

How have you all over come this obstacle???

I feel like I get GMAT rage, I just wanna break, destroy, and kill whatever the heck is bothering me lol!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

It's called Library study loungs and earplugs my friend... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 05:23
Seriously. You can't let anything bug you...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 05:32
"Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to suffering."

IMO, you have to control your fear of the GMAT. Sure it's an important test, but in the end it's just a test. If you've prepared enough, there's no reason to fear. And besides, you can always (well not ALWAYS) re-take the damn thing.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 05:36
When I felt myself getting nervous during the test, I would close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and try to clear my mind. Sure, it wasted 30 precious seconds, but if your mind is calm the solutions seem clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 05:45
bherronp wrote:
When I felt myself getting nervous during the test, I would close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and try to clear my mind. Sure, it wasted 30 precious seconds, but if your mind is calm the solutions seem clear.

Good point. Even if you spend just 15 seconds, the time you saved from not being stressed on that problem and for the rest of the test is invaluable.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:01
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noisy surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Last edited by bsd_lover on 08 Aug 2007, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:03
bsd_lover wrote:
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noise surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Sounds like the Tiger Woods' dad approach. :lol:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:30
As Accenture says - "Go on, Be a Tiger ..." :)

rajpdsouza wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noise surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Sounds like the Tiger Woods' dad approach. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:32
Earphones and/or earplugs are provided, so why the concern about noise? Dont all test centers provide some kind of noise dampening device?

I minimized both the timer and question counter to prevent stress..
Unfortunately i ran out of time, but i achieved my goal of not panicking.

good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:08
CookieMonster wrote:
Earphones and/or earplugs are provided, so why the concern about noise? Dont all test centers provide some kind of noise dampening device?

good luck

I actually don't like the complete silence that earphones or earplugs provide. I try to take my test in the same conditions as I study. My study conditions are pretty much quiet, but they aren't so quiet that I can hear my own heart beating.

If you're going to use the earphones/earplugs at the testing center, I would suggest that you take your practice CATs the same way.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:12
I think if you take lot many practice CATs you should be fine :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 12:57
the earplugs at the test center were... "powerful" (for lack of a better word). It was a bit *too* quiet for me, but it was good because it helped me concentrate. I usually take my practice tests in loud environments, with the fan on, super warm room, etc... so during the test it was the most comfortable I've felt in a long time! ;)

I would also do the "take 15-30 seconds" to relax method. Take a deep breath, think of the question as a fun trivia game, and just move on if you don't know how to do it and not let it affect you. The more you think about your mistakes, the worse you'll do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 13:23
CookieMonster wrote:

good luck

wow... you are brave!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to not have an anxiety attack DURING the test? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 13:25
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Sometimes when I take the test I feel like I have an anxiety attack or something. I'm on a math prob or CR prob and just not getting it. Then Im like CRAP I'm taking too much time, move on...

Then of course something has to happen, noises, bugs, dog barks, mailman, asteroid comes through the roof etc... anyway the tiniest thing annoys the **** out of me during this test and breaks my concentration.

How have you all over come this obstacle???

I feel like I get GMAT rage, I just wanna break, destroy, and kill whatever the heck is bothering me lol!

i definately have some anxiety at times too. i just try to tell myself "look dude, you've done all you can in 3 months time. you probably studied more than 90% of the folks who take the test... so you are gonna get what you are gonna get"

it does not work for me. :-D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 15:40
No way earplugs??? Thats AWSOME. i really have trouble w/ outside distractions. Only when taking the actual test though...

I can do problems timed individually just fine w/ a freakin circus going on, but when the probs are in a group or I am taking the actual test is where the problems arise.
  [#permalink] 08 Aug 2007, 15:40