Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 03:16
I have been preparing for GMAT for one month. Sometimes, I keep loosing the momentum to prepare for GMAT. I do get distracted from my goal, and I am not able to get back in the same way.
I have a 6 month baby at home and I feel guilty if I do not play an active parent role. My spouse has been very supportive, she understands that I need some space to prepare for GMAT. But the guilt feeling exists.

In this scenario, what is the best way to not loose the momentum while preparing for GMAT? I am only able to devote 1 hour (max 2 hour) daily and sometimes I miss studying on weekend.

Please GMATCLUBIANS i need help from you guys.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 120

Premium Member
Re: How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
musicnlyrx wrote:
I have been preparing for GMAT for one month. Sometimes, I keep loosing the momentum to prepare for GMAT. I do get distracted from my goal, and I am not able to get back in the same way.
I have a 6 month baby at home and I feel guilty if I do not play an active parent role. My spouse has been very supportive, she understands that I need some space to prepare for GMAT. But the guilt feeling exists.

In this scenario, what is the best way to not lose the momentum while preparing for GMAT? I am only able to devote 1 hour (max 2 hour) daily and sometimes I miss studying on weekend.

Hi there Musicnlyrx,

I too have been preparing for the GMAT for a little over a month. It's definitely easy to lose focus and get distracted, and sometimes I feel like maybe I just need a break. And I think that's okay.

Try to create a schedule, and stick with it. Let your wife know your study schedule ahead of time, and see if you can go to a library to study, or just find earplugs (for the screaming unhappy baby that misses daddy) and study in a room whilst your wife spends time with the baby in another room.

I also happen to be a father of a newborn (9 months old... but also have a 7 year old) and I don't feel guilty at all! :D Maybe that's the real sign of being a bad parent. :evil: I also have a supportive wife, and she understands I need the time to study; so, despite the fact that she goes to school and works, she tries her best to give me time here and there where I can be productive studying. It's been a busy hectic month for us and I'm sure that's the case for you as well. Just hang in there until the exam date!

Farful

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 461

Kudos [?]: 1790 [1] , given: 29

Re: How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
musicnlyrx wrote:
I have been preparing for GMAT for one month. Sometimes, I keep losing the momentum to prepare for GMAT. I do get distracted from my goal, and I am not able to get back in the same way.

In this scenario, what is the best way to not lose the momentum while preparing for GMAT? I am only able to devote 1 hour (max 2 hour) daily and sometimes I miss studying on weekend.

Dear musicnlyrx,

I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, I think it would be important to stick to a well-defined schedule. Here's a three-month schedule.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... beginners/
Since you have a young child, perhaps you give yourself a break --- do this three-month schedule over a six month period, or the one month schedule over a two-month period.

Also, focus is a skill that is woefully underpracticed in the modern world. If one tried, one could People get that they can't automatically do the math & verbal content of the GMAT --- they have to practice that to be successful. BUT, people rarely realize they need to practice skills like concentration, focus, motivation, and determination as well. Here is an article that discuss this aspect of preparation, and the three links in the first paragraph link to other relevant articles:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/zen-boot-c ... -the-gmat/
Think of your capacity for focus as a middle-aged flabby out-of-shape individual that needs to go on a rigorous boot-camp exercise regime to get into top shape. That's what that articles provides.

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4330 [1] , given: 161

Re: How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
musicnlyrx wrote:

In this scenario, what is the best way to not loose the momentum while preparing for GMAT? I am only able to devote 1 hour (max 2 hour) daily and sometimes I miss studying on weekend.

Research suggests that adults do not remember anything of their first 5 yrs of life. This means, as long as your baby is being nurtured by atleast one parent, he/she is happy and will not hold it against the other one later on.
If you work hard right now, do your MBA in the next two yrs and then slog for a year, by the time your child turns 5, you will be in a position to give quality time and quality life to your child. Think about that and you will be able to focus. Future of kids can be a great motivation for parents.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 20:49
Thanks a lot for the great reply. I have missed studying a lot since I last posted the question here. I think I need to buck up, and visualize where I want to be next 5 years. Motivation is the only thing driving me right know. Thanks again :).

@farful - Thanks a lot for motivating me. I highly appreciate reply from someone who is in same position like me. I am sure that once GMAT is over, I can spend quality time with my family. But till then...it's war :)

@mikemcgarry - Thanks a lot for the articles. I was also thinking if I can extend my study schedule, and you provided the way. I will surely read them and try to to implement the positives out of them in my schedule.

@VeritasPrepKarishma - Thanks a lot for such a great information. The best thing is that I am preparing for MBA for my small baby only, I want to give her the best life. But I never thought in the way you told me. I am not sure why the guilty feeling exists, but I will tell myself now that this is for the baby and I have to do it. Maybe then only the focus will be on my goal. Thanks a lot :)
Re: How to not lose focus for GMAT preparation?   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2013, 20:49