Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 13:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to prepare for argument essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

How to prepare for argument essay [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 04:25
Wondering how shall I prepare for the argument essay? Is it just about finalizing the essay template or does it need something else too?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 2

Re: How to prepare for argument essay [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 13:25
Expert's post
syog wrote:
Wondering how shall I prepare for the argument essay? Is it just about finalizing the essay template or does it need something else too?
Three things are needed for a successful essay:

1) Critical Reasoning skills. You must be able to quickly identify multiple, definite flaws in a prompt. Practice your "flaw" and "weaken" questions, along with your "strengthen" questions because you need to strengthen the prompt once you've torn it down. Then, apply those skills to your argument essay prompts.
2) A Template. Make sure you write with this template several times, so that it works for you. Also, check your work; a few of the templates circulating use terminology that is potentially confusing, so make sure you understand what must go in each part of your template.
3) Writing skills. This is the hardest to improve in a short amount of time, but your writing must be correct, interesting, and varied. Prioritize correctness over the other two! Students who try to write "fancy" generally end up shooting themselves in the foot by misusing complex sentence structures and vocabulary. Several sources, including Kaplan's courses, include tips on common GMAT writing errors.

Once you've got some basic review down, nothing beats practice. PM me when you finish up an essay, and I'll happily grade it for you.

Good luck!

Eli

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: How to prepare for argument essay [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 21:56
KapTeacherEli wrote:
syog wrote:
Three things are needed for a successful essay:

1) Critical Reasoning skills. You must be able to quickly identify multiple, definite flaws in a prompt. Practice your "flaw" and "weaken" questions, along with your "strengthen" questions because you need to strengthen the prompt once you've torn it down. Then, apply those skills to your argument essay prompts.
2) A Template. Make sure you write with this template several times, so that it works for you. Also, check your work; a few of the templates circulating use terminology that is potentially confusing, so make sure you understand what must go in each part of your template.
3) Writing skills. This is the hardest to improve in a short amount of time, but your writing must be correct, interesting, and varied. Prioritize correctness over the other two! Students who try to write "fancy" generally end up shooting themselves in the foot by misusing complex sentence structures and vocabulary. Several sources, including Kaplan's courses, include tips on common GMAT writing errors.

Once you've got some basic review down, nothing beats practice. PM me when you finish up an essay, and I'll happily grade it for you.

Good luck!

Eli

Many thanks for the prompt response.

I agree that it's almost impossible to improve upon my writting skills in short period of time, all I can do is - plan the structure/template for the essay in advance and stick to it. But this seems a job of a day or two, not more than that.

Can someone share his experience on how did you prepare and what all resources did you touch upon?

Moreover, is there a place where I can find the sample responses for some of the argument essays from the GMAT list, I hope that will give me some insight and scope for improvement.
Re: How to prepare for argument essay   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2012, 21:56