Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to prepare for second attempt and get 700+ score ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to prepare for second attempt and get 700+ score ? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2004, 19:41
Hi Guys,

I took GMAT last December and scored miserably.My score was 530.I prepared well for about 3 months seriously and about 1 year off an on.Still I got very bad scores.I was pretty much confident in Quant. as I was doing well in Test GMATs at home.I did PowerPrep,Kaplan Book,ETS and other popular books.on Kaplan Tests on the CD,I scored about 520,580 and 550 in my 3 practice tests.I heard the hearsay that one should add atleast 150 to his/her Kaplan score.Using that parameter,I felt confident and scheduled the test.About a week before the GMAT test,
one of my projects at work failed and I was the lead resource on that project..That project put on lot of stress on me..I was not able to concentrate and was not in my right frame of mind...Somehow I took the test and came up with 530,which was quite disappointing for me.I left about 4-5 questions in Quant. and 10-12 questions in Verbal

I did lot of introspection about my preparation and my weak areas.Here are some of the salient points of my introspection:

a) Standard of Quant. section is tougher than ETS and kaplan books.I need to practice more tough questions in all areas.I need to concentrate more on Probability and Statistics.

b) Work on my speed. should not spend too much time on hard questions.

c) Work on my speed esp. in Reading comprehension....

Please let me know your thoughts and experience in preparing for GMAt for second time and come high score....
Here are my parameters :

My expected score 700-720
Time - 1- 2 months

I am working on projects 8-5 and can spend 2 -3 hrs daily.

Here is what I am doing :
--Probability and Stats - Using Schaum;s series
--Reading Comprehension - Reading fiction/non-fiction books..using scientific magazines...

Your suggestions and advice are most welcome !!! let me know if my parameters and expectations are unrealistic.....
--tell me resources to prepare in short time...
--practice tests...
-- books/guides

GMAT has been on my mind for couple of years and I want to take the exam one more time and get good score and get it over with.

Thanks,
gmat+obsessed
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Books [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2004, 09:14
My suggestion go to Amazon.com and purchase GMAT Advantage & Ace the GMAT.

If you are still not confident in your skills. Go to Gorillatestprep.com and ask for David Younghans.

He should be able to help and he is very affordable.

Thanks,

wiseguy
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Suggestions [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2004, 11:52
Suggest you take a class. Not because your not capable, but because your schedule in projects at work is apt to keep you unfocused on GMAT. I know that happens to me. Suggest you do a night course. Sign up quickly. Classes will be starting within a month. In the meantime, this website is good for questions. For alternative resources for training you could check out GMAX Online what praertorian mentioned. There's a navigation link to it on the home page of this web site. For other resources you could check all the various training companies yourself.

Check out my website at http://daveformba.blogspot.com for the links or go directly to the resource links at http://home.comcast.net/~dave.kim/index.htm

Hope this helps. I'm shooting to take the GMAT again here in the next couple of months as well.

Davefor MBA

Suggestions   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2004, 11:52