Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 06:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello guys,

I need to do the GRE in quant and get around 700/800.
I scored 44 in q in my GMAT.
Do you think it is possible ?

Which book should I use ? baron ?

I have 6 days to prepare the GRE but I spent 7 weeks before to prepare the GMAT, so I'm still fit to fight.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOU HELP
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 20:54
etienneb wrote:
Hello guys,

I need to do the GRE in quant and get around 700/800.
I scored 44 in q in my GMAT.
Do you think it is possible ?

Which book should I use ? baron ?

I have 6 days to prepare the GRE but I spent 7 weeks before to prepare the GMAT, so I'm still fit to fight.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOU HELP

I think if you have scored 44 in GMAT, you can easly score 750+ in GRE provided you should get adjusted to the equality question asked in GRE because problem solving will be same as GMAT. Barron is more than enough. GRE is little bit different from GMAT in the question pattern. In GMAT you have to solve all question within stipulated time but in GRE you concentrate on first 22 question and remaining 6 questions solve in last 4-5 minutes. I have solved first 18 question and then solved remaining question randomly whichever I found easy and less time consuming and got a score of 740.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 08:17
hello guys,

I scored 780/800 in Math on my GRE and I had one week before 44 in quant.

My preparation:
I was quite prepared in math due to the Gmat.
I bought two books:
Kaplan Math 800 : too easy except in Geometry, do not waste your money
Barrons GRE : very good math review, 2 GRE + CD but the cd is useless the question are not adaptive and your score in on a scale.
booklet from ETS-website : very good, do the GRE for practice very close to what you can expect the D-day.
I bought 6 tests on manhattan GRE: Very good, way harder but good.

Tests prep:
Manh GRE free: 590
ETS paper based : 680
Barrons :number 1&2 700
MGRE:680
MGRE:680
MGRE:800

Tips :

If you did the Gmat you will be confortable with the problems but you should check out the graph questions, it is quite easy if you are used to read the economist.
Also take a look at the comparative question :
Remember to test : -1, 0 , 1
try to rearrange the two sides

Conclusion:

I thought that the GRE was easier than the GMAT because :
1- less questions 28 ( GRE) VS 37 (GMAT)
2- less computations
3- when you understand the comparative questions, you will see that they are so Easy.

Why didn't I have a 800 ?

Because some questions in Geometry on the GRE are .... insane, i mean really time consuming, so if you want to have 800 study the geometry !

Thank you for your support.

I have a question, I am applying at SSE in master of Finance is 780 on GRE is a really good score or is it just an average ?

Thank you !
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 09:43
Hey Hi,

I'm also thinking of taking GRE, can you please explain the difference b/w GMAT Verbal and GRE verbal section? Which one is more easy? I have taken GMAT twice but my score was way below my target score :(

Please help. Thank you.

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 18:59
Congrates!!! It's great score. But I think business school favours GMAT score more than GRE score. GRE is prefered by science graduate school.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 09:46
rajeshaaidu wrote:
Congrates!!! It's great score. But I think business school favours GMAT score more than GRE score. GRE is prefered by science graduate school.

I agree with you that GRE is useless for MBA in USA but it is as good as the gmat for a MSc in Europe if the school accepts both.
Check the MSc in Finance at Princeton they have a GRE median of 790/800 and a 49.5/51 for the GMAT Quant.

I think a GMAT i very good if you have very high score but few got more than 700 or even 650 for Master.

Am I wrong ?
willigetmylifeback wrote:
Hey Hi,

I'm also thinking of taking GRE, can you please explain the difference b/w GMAT Verbal and GRE verbal section? Which one is more easy? I have taken GMAT twice but my score was way below my target score :(
Please help. Thank you.

I am sorry but my school does not require a verbal score so I just click.
But they do look at the AWA which is harder because the topic is wider.
Manager
Manager

Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 19:54
etienneb wrote:
rajeshaaidu wrote:

I agree with you that GRE is useless for MBA in USA but it is as good as the gmat for a MSc in Europe if the school accepts both.
Check the MSc in Finance at Princeton they have a GRE median of 790/800 and a 49.5/51 for the GMAT Quant.

I think a GMAT i very good if you have very high score but few got more than 700 or even 650 for Master.

Am I wrong ?

I think you are right since your is a special case. But, I have talked to few business school and they told me that they use to convert GRE score to GMAT score using certain conversion factor. When they use to convert your GRE score they use to give more weightage to the GMAT score. I think this is the reason why GRE is also changing its pattern of questions and making a bit similar to GMAT, especially in verbal section where they are removing more of those word meaning based questions.

Thanks!!!
Re: How to prepare the GRE QUANT after GMAT ?   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2011, 19:54