Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to prioritize materials?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

how to prioritize materials? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 17:46
Hello!
I'm very new to this wonderful forum and I'd like to know your opinion on how I should go forth with my GMAT preparation. I'm currently enrolled in a Kaplan live lecture course (paid by the company I work for), however I feel that, for a couple of reasons, it still has not prepared me well. I was browsing through the Kaplan book+cd 2006 at the local bookstore and found out that it teaches most of the concepts in the live lecture course and it costs less! So I bought the Kaplan book+cd 2006, OG 10th ed. and PR Cracking the GMAT 2007. My question is what would be the ideal sequence in going through those books? Thanks in advance, and I wish everybody the best in their preparation efforts! :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 04:09
The kaplan book probably deserves being in the trash and being replaced with Manhattan guides, but ....

Start with either the Princeton or Kaplan book, get the basics down. Understand the concepts. The idea here is just to learn the concepts, formulas, methods, tricks, tips, etc. You need to be able to think "look! 6:8:x ! thats 3:4:5 ! " - those books should get you there. Do practice problems out of these books and if you feel weak on the subject, try doing some from the OG.

Then, when you feel you've got the basics down, move onto the Official Guide.

I personally like the method of studying one particular subject (say Geometry), doing the practice questions in wahtever book you have, then doing the ones in OG after I feel comfortable before moving on to another subject (algebra or whatever).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 06:06
rhyme wrote:
The kaplan book probably deserves being in the trash and being replaced with Manhattan guides, but ....

Start with either the Princeton or Kaplan book, get the basics down. Understand the concepts. The idea here is just to learn the concepts, formulas, methods, tricks, tips, etc. You need to be able to think "look! 6:8:x ! thats 3:4:5 ! " - those books should get you there. Do practice problems out of these books and if you feel weak on the subject, try doing some from the OG.

Then, when you feel you've got the basics down, move onto the Official Guide.

I personally like the method of studying one particular subject (say Geometry), doing the practice questions in wahtever book you have, then doing the ones in OG after I feel comfortable before moving on to another subject (algebra or whatever).

Thanks Rhyme! And congratulations on your awesome score! (read it at the other forum) It is very inspirational and proof that this exam CAN be beaten!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 04:06
It absolutely can. If I can do it, seriously, anyone can. (Not that it came easy, but still).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 18:44
I'm not sure why you bought the Kaplan book when the course is already covering those topics...seems kinda redundant.

Anyway, I agree with Rhyme. Start with the PR book and master GMAT strategies, and then practice as much as you can with the OG, GMATPrep, and the PR tests. Conquering one question type at a time is the best way to master each one, because you stay focused and pick up patterns and learn formulas/grammar rules much faster that way. It becomes second nature.

Good luck!
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2006, 18:44