Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: How to push from 600 to 700 in 45 days. [#permalink]
RaghavanK wrote:
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi Raghavan,

Can you tell us what was your score breakup (Q/V) and what all materials have you followed for your preparations?
(Its always good to stick to one material for theory at least, problems you should definitely solve from multiple sources)

RaghavanK wrote:
I have had a solid GMAT prep ( with materials from multiple sources) for around 5 months and have just started the trials. Scored 580 in the first one. Made a quick review of my weak areas and gave my second one. 590 :(. Disappointed and I really don't know where I went wrong. With my test scheduled in early July, need advice on what should I be doing in the next 1.5 months to push my score to 700. Should I be going through the entire material once again. Note: I am employed and can't spend more than 1 hour a day during weekdays. Can dedicate good amount of time in weekends. Should I be going through the entire material once again?

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello- Thanks for your response. My score breakup.
1st: KAPLAN Diagnostic CAT 1- 580. 43 QA, 27 VERBAL
2nd: KAPLAN CAT 2 - 590. 43 QA. 28 VERBAL

My Prep before 1 month: Used MGMAT Guides 4th edition and practiced the questions available in them. Used Ivy GMAT materials for additional practice. Practiced OG 12 questions as well.

Prep in the last 1 month: Bought Veritas guides and brushed through QA guides.

My action plan now : Disappointed with the scores, I have prepared a timetable to give a solid preparation. 3 weeks each for QA and VERBAL. More focus on advanced guides/ topics. And also attend practice tests in parallel.

Will this really help? I am even ok with rescheduling my test. But I really do not want < 690 score. Primary reason being that I already have 5 yrs work ex and literally want to leave my current job. Please help with your inputs.

Try giving a GMATPrep mock exam to evaluate your score. Kaplan tests are usually more difficult. That said, you may need to identify areas that you are not able to do well in and then focus on those. This forum will be very useful in finding out tricks and tips that other people use. I think you have sufficient time to jump up to 700.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sure. Thanks much for responding. I will give a GMAT PREP mock and update in this same thread..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I cant really say anything about Verbal but for Quant i will say GMATClub itself is a great resource for questions. Try solving questions topic by topic by going through this link.
For theory: dont try and read from multiple sources. Stick to one book and do more of problems. Read explanations of experts on each question and understand where you are going wrong and try and implement the learning in subsequent mock tests. You should see an improvement for sure.

RaghavanK wrote:
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi Raghavan,

Can you tell us what was your score breakup (Q/V) and what all materials have you followed for your preparations?
(Its always good to stick to one material for theory at least, problems you should definitely solve from multiple sources)

RaghavanK wrote:
I have had a solid GMAT prep ( with materials from multiple sources) for around 5 months and have just started the trials. Scored 580 in the first one. Made a quick review of my weak areas and gave my second one. 590 :(. Disappointed and I really don't know where I went wrong. With my test scheduled in early July, need advice on what should I be doing in the next 1.5 months to push my score to 700. Should I be going through the entire material once again. Note: I am employed and can't spend more than 1 hour a day during weekdays. Can dedicate good amount of time in weekends. Should I be going through the entire material once again?

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello- Thanks for your response. My score breakup.
1st: KAPLAN Diagnostic CAT 1- 580. 43 QA, 27 VERBAL
2nd: KAPLAN CAT 2 - 590. 43 QA. 28 VERBAL

My Prep before 1 month: Used MGMAT Guides 4th edition and practiced the questions available in them. Used Ivy GMAT materials for additional practice. Practiced OG 12 questions as well.

Prep in the last 1 month: Bought Veritas guides and brushed through QA guides.

My action plan now : Disappointed with the scores, I have prepared a timetable to give a solid preparation. 3 weeks each for QA and VERBAL. More focus on advanced guides/ topics. And also attend practice tests in parallel.

Will this really help? I am even ok with rescheduling my test. But I really do not want < 690 score. Primary reason being that I already have 5 yrs work ex and literally want to leave my current job. Please help with your inputs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great! Just checked this link. Soooo many questions. With distinctions between various levels. Just what I was looking for. Thanks a ton. I 'll keep u updated on the progress.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RaghavanK,

Your two CAT score results are essentially identical - that's not a surprise though, since you took them so 'close' to one another without putting in a lot of practice time to improve before you took the second CAT. To earn a much higher score, you'll have to change your Tactics. It also helps to understand WHY you're getting questions wrong.

After reviewing this most recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just didn't know how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks EmpowerGMATRich. Quite true that I didn't analyze the previous mock before I gave my second. Now, I have moved to a new work location where I would have to stay alone. I am on a full fledged prep. My plan is to Review the concepts one by one (as Arithmetic, Geometry, Stats etc) over the weekdays which is 2X5 = 10 hrs per week and solve as many problems as possible over the weekend from that respective topic (8X2 = 16 hrs). My practice would be from Veritas and GMAT club questions (level wise). This would take around 6 to 8 weeks to finish all concepts (both QA and V) Would you recommend me to take my mocks in parallel? Or should I wait till I finish with all the concepts and then start mocks afresh?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RaghavanK,

It would be a good idea to take your CATs at regular intervals (one FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections - every 1 to 2 weeks). In that way, you'll have a way to define (and fix) any problems with how you handle the Test sooner rather than later.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot