Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 01:07
Hi all,

I gave my first mock today (GMATPrep) and scored a 700 (Q -48, V-38).

Resources used:
SC : Manhattan SC
CR : PowerScore
RC : OG13

Quant : OG 13.

I have been studying on and off for the last 2 months, and can dedicate 6+ hours for the next 20 days.

My Preparation so far:

I have worked on building general knowledge on what is tested on GMAT and used resources specified above for various sections.
My accuracy is much better in untimed conditions especially in verbal ( Close to 90%). In the mock I got 12 incorrect out of 41 .Because of time constraints I felt I couldnt attempt the last 4 to the best of my ability and got 3 wrong and couldnt attempt the last one.

Similarly, in math I had to guess for around 6 because of time contraints and couldnt attempt 1 question.

Please share your opinion on practice and study strategy I should follow to improve my timing and score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 09:31
You're already on the right path - picking up general techniques, as opposed to going through specific questions, is probably the best way to get to the upper end of the score scale. It looks like all you have to do now is make sure that you can make it through in enough time to do your best.

Practice can help out here; finish enough practice questions that you're familiar with most of the questions, and you will be able to get through them quicker. Skim RC passages to get the gist of what's going on and then head straight to the questions, since you'll need to reexamine the passages anyway. Memorise the order of the answers in data sufficiency questions, since they're always the same and that way you won't have to spend those extra few seconds checking the responses for each question.

Last, but certainly not least, relax! Don't worry too much about trying to fit into an exact time schedule. Worrying too much will just take up some of that precious mental bandwidth. Remember that the GMAT can be retaken as many times as you like, and that only the highest score counts!

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern

Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 10:00
Thanks for the advice!

My verbal timing was off not because of RCs but because of SC and CR. Any tips on how I can improve my speed?

Maybe more PRACTICE is the solution :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
Develop your sense of timing through practice, and never spend more than 120 seconds on a question. See my GMAT experience post for more details on this, I'd you like.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 12:31
Thanks a lot ebonn for the advice.
I read your GMAT Experience thread and plan to focus on verbal, once I get my Quant timing right.
There is a lot of scope for improvement in Verbal.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 01:45
Hi all,

Now I have 14 days left. Today I gave a mock and scored 740. I took Ebonn's advice and my verbal improved to 41 from 38. All the mistakes i made were in SC and CR. All the RC's were correct. My quant also improved from 48 to 49 possibly because i answered all the questions this time.

Now as I approach the final sprint , I want to improve my verbal to 44+. Any advice on how to achieve my goal?

Thanks a lot guys!
Re: How to raise my score from 700 to 750+ in 20 days?   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2012, 01:45