Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HOW TO RE-PREPARE FOR VERBAL SECTION IN 15 DAYS? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sakshigupta18,

Before you retake the GMAT, it would help if you defined your overall goals and timeline a bit better.

1) What is your score goal?
2) How long did you study?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

You're not likely to make a big improvement in 15 days, so you're probably going to have to delay your retest (at least by a few weeks).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,
Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

1) I'd be more than happy with a score of 680.

2) I started studying from Mid March, but had to discontinue for 2 months (May and June) in between due to my college exams and some family problem.
I studied for 3 hours a day till Mid-August. After that 5 hours a day.

3) Since the admission in universities, in which I wish to apply are on rolling basis I don't really have a deadline. But yes, I would to like to apply by October.

Can you please suggest where do I start? And as per your expert knowledge how much time should I be devoting ideally to reach the kind of score I want?

Looking forward to yoyr reply :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
sakshigupta18 wrote:
Hi,
I gave my GMAT (1st attempt) on 9th September'15 and got a devastating score of 590( Q-46 V-26).
I plan on giving it again ASAP, as I plan to apply this year for Msc Finance.
I really need somebody who can help me chalk out a plan as to how and what should I do? Where do I start?

Problem I am facing:
I am always confident with the answer I choose, but end up answering it wrong.(in Verbal)

Books I referred during my 1st attempt:
1) GMAT OG 2015
2) Jamboree prep books

Looking forward to your helpful responses.
Thanks in advance :)

Hi sakshigupta18,

Going by your score, it seems that there is a problem in understanding the underlying concepts. Thus preparing for just 15 days and giving the test might not be a good idea. It will certainly not boost your score. Also, you can try and increase your score in Quants too

When is the deadline of the program that you are planning to apply.

More over,
1. Did you take any mock CATs?
2. Did you finish all the theory from the books that you are referring to?

As a addition to your study material, I would suggest you to buy the Official Guide Verbal Review too

Hi OptimusPrepJanielle,
Thanks for your reply :) To answer your questions:
1) I took around 4 full CATs, and 3 half CATs(only Quant and Verbal). My score never crossed 600 in any.
2) I not only finished but re-read the theory part several times.

How much time would you suggest I devote to prepare again, so that my score goes up by atleast 60 points? Also, how and from where should I start with my prep again? I am really confused :?

Looking forward to your reply :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sakshigupta18,

In your two most recent posts, you state that you would be happy with a 680, but then you ask how to raise your score at least 60 points (which, relative to the 590 that you scored, would be a 650). So which one of these scores is your ACTUAL goal score?

Based on your Official GMAT Score, you have a greater potential to pick up points in the Verbal section than in the Quant section, but you still have the opportunity to pick up some points in the Quant section as well.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's likely that this has happened to you. To hit your goal score (regardless of which one it actually is), you'll likely need to spend another 1-2 months of study time and invest in some new non-book resources.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
sakshigupta18 wrote:
Hi,
I gave my GMAT (1st attempt) on 9th September'15 and got a devastating score of 590( Q-46 V-26).
I plan on giving it again ASAP, as I plan to apply this year for Msc Finance.
I really need somebody who can help me chalk out a plan as to how and what should I do? Where do I start?

Problem I am facing:
I am always confident with the answer I choose, but end up answering it wrong.(in Verbal)

Books I referred during my 1st attempt:
1) GMAT OG 2015
2) Jamboree prep books

Looking forward to your helpful responses.
Thanks in advance :)

Hi Sakshi,
I think I was in a similar dilemma as yours at the start of the year, and I think I can answer your question.
To reach your score goal of 690, you'll have to score a V37-V38, if you keep your quant score at V46. However, it would be wise to improve your push your quant score ahead upto Q50, because the course that you aim to do is Maths-intensive (Yes I know this, I am a CFA Level 2, and I have friends in US who applied for similar courses). So chances are that the admissions committee would take a more important look at your quant score.
That being said, to be brutally honest, you cannot improve your Verbal score in 15 days to such a high level. You need atleast a month's time (full time) if you plan to reach that score. You'll be better off improving your quant score in such a short period of time.

Still, here is what I would suggest:
1) Prepare for Quant from GMATClub questions / tests.
2) For Verbal, choose from any of the online experts, such as eGMAT, Magoosh, etc. I personally prefer eGMAT as they are oriented towards non-natives like us.

You could PM me and I would be happy to share with you few other study materials that I have.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I am sorry if I was not clear. What I meant was that my score goes up by ATLEAST 60 points and it would be great IF I can score 690.
And keeping yours and others suggestion in mind, I'll study for another one month.
But, this might sound stupid, I have really weak eyesight which makes it difficult for me to study on computer for long hours :/ This is the reason why I chose "book" resources over "non-books".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi sagar2911,
Thank you for your reply :)
Keeping in mind yours and others suggestions, I am ready to devote more time if that's how I can get results!
But my weak eye sight creates a huge problem for me. I am not sure if there is a solution for that.
Nevertheless, I will definitely look into your suggested readings.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sakshigupta18,

The issues that you're having with your vision could significantly impact your performance on Test Day, but you can't 'avoid' that problem during your practice (otherwise you won't necessarily be ready to face the Official GMAT and perform at a high level).

Have you visited an 'eye'-doctor? Perhaps you can get a prescription for a specific set of eyeglasses that could help.

From a practical standpoint, since the GMAT is administered on a computer and you'll have to sit in front of one for the better part of 4 hours when you take the GMAT, you really MUST train in a way that will match these details - it's really the only way to build up your endurance and 'tolerance' for what you will experience on Test Day.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot