Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Read a Reading Comp Passage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
30 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 173

Kudos [?]: 72 [30] , given: 3

How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Manhattan GMAT Experts Share Insight on How to Read RC Passages

In honor of “RC Week” we’ve got an article today on reading – specifically, what to do and look for during the initial few minutes after a reading comprehension passage pops up on the screen.
Note: this article doesn’t address how to answer reading comprehension questions; it focuses on the initial read-through and note-taking. If you do that well, though, then you’ll have the foundation in place to answer any kind of question.

Goals

Whenever we start a specific type of problem, we want to have certain goals in mind (depending, of course, on what that problem type is). Reading comprehension (RC) is no exception.
First, we have some timing goals. I aim to complete an initial read-through of an RC passage in 2 (shorter) to 3 (longer) minutes. This is not very much time – in fact, I’m not reading every last word or detail carefully. I’m just trying to get the main ideas (and, note, what we do for the GMAT is definitely not what we would want to do if we were reading something for school!).
I try to answer “general” questions (e.g., main idea) in about 1 minute and “specific” questions in about 1.5 minutes (up to 2 minutes for the longest ones).
Next, we have some goals for the initial read-through of the passage. Every passage has a topic and what I call The Point. The topic is what you would probably expect: the basic topic under discussion in the passage. The Point is the main reason the author is writing this specific passage (you can also think of The Point as the thesis statement). For instance, a passage topic might be the curious decline of bees in recent years (entire hives have been dying, losing the ability to find their way back to the hive, and so on). The Point might be that, out of three possible causes (all mentioned in the passage), a certain fungus is the most likely cause (according to the author). Back to our Goal: when I read the passage, I need to make sure I understand The Point, not just the topic.
Further, I also need to make sure I understand the purpose of each paragraph. These passages follow the same rules we’re supposed to use when we write an essay: each paragraph should have one distinct purpose or message. Often, that message is delivered via a topic sentence, usually the first or second sentence of the paragraph. (Note: there is one exception. Some passages consist of only one long paragraph. When this is the case, split the paragraph up into halves or thirds: for example, the first half explains the plight of the bees and the second half speculates that pesticides are the cause.)
Finally, as I alluded to earlier, I also need to make sure that I do NOT dive fully into all of the detail in each paragraph. That “NOT” was not a typo. I’m trying to read this passage in 2 to 3 minutes maximum; I don’t have time to try to fully understand, let alone remember, all of the detail. My goal is to have a very basic idea of the kind of detail and to know in which paragraph the different kinds of detail reside – that’s all.

Wait – I do NOT want to understand the detail?

Not much. This is where we can take advantage of the fact that the GMAT is a standardized test. An individual test-taker is given only some (3 or 4) of the questions that were written for that passage. That little piece of knowledge has major implications for how we conduct the initial read-through.
I know that I’m going to have to understand The Point, because that permeates the passage and all of the questions. I also know that I will not get asked about every detail on the screen, because I’m only going to see some of the questions that were written. So why learn all of that annoying detail unless I know that I’m going to get a question about it? I won’t know that until the question pops up on the screen. Ergo: I don’t want to learn all of the detail ahead of time.
Instead, as we discussed above, my goal for the detail is to know in which paragraph it resides. That way, if I do get a question about the chemical mechanism by which the pesticide affects a bee’s nervous system, I’ll immediately know that I can find that detail in paragraph 2. I won’t actually know how to answer the question yet; I’ll have to read that detail now to see whether I can figure it out.
Note: did you hit a tough word you don’t know? Skip it. (Later, if you need that word, you can try to figure it out from the context – but only if you actually need it.) Is some sentence really convoluted? If it’s the first sentence of a paragraph, use your SC knowledge to find the subject and verb, just to get a basic understanding of what it says. If it’s a “detail” sentence, skip it. (If you need that sentence later, you can try to work through it at that point – but, again, only if you actually need it.)

The Initial Read-through

Most of the time, The Point can be found in one discrete sentence somewhere in the passage (though sometimes we have to combine two sentences to get the full Point). Most often, The Point can be found in the first few or last few sentences of the entire passage, but it can show up anywhere.
So, a new passage pops up on the screen and we, naturally, start reading. Read the first sentence, then stop. Can you rephrase it it in your mind (put it into words that you can understand very easily)? Then do so and jot down a note. Do the same with the second sentence. If, after reading the first sentence, you can’t rephrase or aren’t sure what the passage is saying, try reading the second sentence. Keep reading, little by little, until you get enough of an idea of what’s going on to jot down a note.
Once you think you understand the purpose of that first paragraph, you can start skimming the rest of the paragraph. While you skim, you’re trying to make this distinction: is this information simply detail that goes along with or supports whatever I decided was the purpose of this paragraph? Or is this information something new: does it represent a new idea, a contradiction, or a change of direction? If it’s just detail, you may or may not decide to write something down (probably not). If it represents a new idea or change of direction, then pay a little more attention and, if appropriate, take some short notes.
Do the same with the other paragraphs, though you can be a bit more aggressive about skimming. If, for example, you think you understand the purpose of the second paragraph after reading only the first sentence, that’s fine. Start skimming (but take note of anything that represents a new direction).
When you’re done, take a moment to articulate The Point to yourself. Is that already in your notes? Put a star next to it. If it isn’t in your notes, jot it down.

Taking notes

Your notes should be heavily abbreviated – much more aggressively abbreviated than notes you would typically take at work or school. In fact, if I look at my notes for a passage a few days later, I should have a lot of trouble figuring out what they say (without using the passage as a reference).
How can we get away with abbreviating this heavily? Again, we’re taking advantage of the nature of this test. You’re going to spend perhaps 6 to 8 minutes with this passage and then you can forget about it forever. You don’t need to commit anything to long-term memory, nor do you need to take comprehensive notes from which you can study in a week (as you often have to do for school). Of course, if you’re just practicing, you are going to review your work later, but you should still practice as though it’s the real thing.

Analyzing your work

Everyone already knows that it’s important to review your work on the problems you do, but did you know that it’s also important to review how you read and take your notes? When you’re done with a passage and the associated questions, start your review with the passage itself. When you were done reading (but before you answered questions), what did you think The Point was? What did you think the purpose of each paragraph was? Did that knowledge or understanding change as you worked your way through the questions?
If you misunderstood something after the first read-through, why do you think you misunderstood it? Did you read too quickly and overlook something? Did you not take the time to rephrase what you read? Was the language too hard – were there words or idiomatic expressions that you didn’t know? How could you do this better next time?
Next, match your initial notes to your current knowledge of what information is contained in the passage. Were you able to find the right paragraph easily when answering a specific question? If not, why not? What should you have jotted down on the initial read-through to make that easier? Conversely, did you have too much information jotted down? Maybe you were able to answer a specific question just from your notes, or maybe you had a lot of detail written down that you never had to use. If so, you wrote down too much information and likely spent too much time on the initial read-through.
Could you have abbreviated even more? Write down what that might have looked like. In general, if you feel your notes were fairly far from your “ideal” for any reason, then re-write the notes the way you should have written them the first time.

Take-aways

• (1) You do NOT want to learn or comprehend every single thing that the passage says. (Note: this is not what to do once you actually do get to b-school. There, do try to understand everything clearly!)
  • (2) Know your goals:
    • (a) Find The Point
    • (b) Find the purpose of each paragraph
    • (c) Know where (in which paragraph) to find different kinds of detail
  • (3) Practice sticking to your timing and practice abbreviating heavily.
  • (4) When you review your work, also review how you read and took notes on the passage.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 55

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 16:45
Great article! It will help most of the users here on GMATCLUB. Kudos!

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 22:44
Very good article... It will help folks like me, who have trouble in RC

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 05:43
One kudos for you!

I have a question regarding locating any detail or inference key words.

When reading the passage, I try to figure out the objective of each passage and summarize each passage within a few words.
However, I have a hard time writing down the key words as to easily find their location when solving any detail question.

For me, it is not easy to write down any key words while figuring out and summarizing each passage, or it takes too much time.

Do you please have any suggestion for me to improve on locating any key words?
I can't imagine anything other than just keep practicing.

Thanks in advance.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 12:02
Great tips about note taking! Thank you
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 02:14
I am glad that I got this article to read.
I am trying to build up my confidence on RC section and certainly the approach mentioned here will help me.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 02:43
i have been studying for GMAT for 3-4 month now.
i resisted taking notes and relied on Memory Maping to solve RC and CR.
The accuracy level wasn't consistent and in tough passages it drops significantly.

For last 1-2 week i am using the MGMAT suggested abbreviated notes with close to 100% accuracy.
I have decided to use the abbreviated notes in exam too.
My exam is in within 20 days from now.
My worry is that the reading some time get into the 4-5 minutes range for really tough or long passages.
Same for CR, almost always CR takes 2+ minutes to solve.
I am skeptical if i will be able to use it in the exam without ending up with guesses in the end?

Any tips to reduce the RC reading time in less than 3 minute range and CR in less than 90 seconds range?
My SC average time is also in 100+ seconds range for easy and medium difficulty q and approximately 2 minute in hard problems.

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 05:51
bgs4gmat - Thanks for the insight. I always used to scribble notes and they ended up being ultimately useless: I would still need to refer to the passage to answer each and every question. I just finished Ch. 1 of RC Strategy Guideline from MGMAT. I am excited to kill that section on the next GMAT attempt. My suggestion for RC time reduction is to refer back to something the MGMAT emphasizes in that first chapter. I know that I am no expert, I am only through Ch 1. But what they emphasize (and that which resonated with me deeply) is the importance of increasing your reading speed as you get through the passage, focusing only on the first sentence or two in the final paragraph, looking for surprises/changes, results/outcomes. I haven't even practiced this yet. But I wonder if in your quest to take good notes (that evidently prove to be fruitful) you forget to speed through the second half / bottom portion of the passage. I wonder if the questions that pertain to that which you'll find in the bottom portion of the passage can't be answered by just referring back. I also wonder if you're more likely to face questions about the overall purpose of the passage and specific detail questions. If this is true then this could be a reason why MGMAT encourages you to speed through the middle - end (once you've obtained a good handle on the structure of the paragraphs, the purpose of the passage and the main point).

I would say another big help, could be to reduce your SC time. I too struggle with timing on RC and CR, but SC can be reduced to 60-90 seconds on medium to hard problems with some concentrated study. That could save precious time on RC and CR.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:07
Hi rjacobs,

Very good article. I have a question.

I was previously thinking that inference questions to be disguised detail question for which one has to find proof sentences in the psg and which will be explicitly stated (some degree less compared to other detail question) in the psg--Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is there a way to pick a right answer when one is struck with only 2 choices especially for tough inference type questions where the information in the ans choices is not contained in the psg but are mostly an extension of the ideas stated in the passage which one has to infer? If so please suggest.

Thanks,

harikris
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:47
jerembo wrote:
bgs4gmat - Thanks for the insight. I always used to scribble notes and they ended up being ultimately useless: I would still need to refer to the passage to answer each and every question. I just finished Ch. 1 of RC Strategy Guideline from MGMAT. I am excited to kill that section on the next GMAT attempt. My suggestion for RC time reduction is to refer back to something the MGMAT emphasizes in that first chapter. I know that I am no expert, I am only through Ch 1. But what they emphasize (and that which resonated with me deeply) is the importance of increasing your reading speed as you get through the passage, focusing only on the first sentence or two in the final paragraph, looking for surprises/changes, results/outcomes. I haven't even practiced this yet. But I wonder if in your quest to take good notes (that evidently prove to be fruitful) you forget to speed through the second half / bottom portion of the passage. I wonder if the questions that pertain to that which you'll find in the bottom portion of the passage can't be answered by just referring back. I also wonder if you're more likely to face questions about the overall purpose of the passage and specific detail questions. If this is true then this could be a reason why MGMAT encourages you to speed through the middle - end (once you've obtained a good handle on the structure of the paragraphs, the purpose of the passage and the main point).

I would say another big help, could be to reduce your SC time. I too struggle with timing on RC and CR, but SC can be reduced to 60-90 seconds on medium to hard problems with some concentrated study. That could save precious time on RC and CR.

In RC, i do take abbreviated notes but it seems problem is with my reading. Unknowingly, I try to understand the passage as if i can answer Q from my memory without looking back at passage. Need to practice more to master the RC :-)

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 11:25
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:

Manhattan GMAT Experts Share Insight on How to Read RC Passages

[size=100][color=#7b0046]In honor of “RC Week” we’ve got an article today on reading – specifically, what to do and look for during the initial few minutes after a reading comprehension passage pops up on the screen...
[*](4) When you review your work, also review how you read and took notes on the passage.[/list]

Hi rjacobsMGMAT,

My trouble is, I loose my concentration in between while reading any passage; and the loosing of concentration happens largely if the RC discusses something which is abstruse to me by its comprehension. And then I used to re-read and consume much time than expected. Which in turn, causes my very poor performance in RC.
Could you please help me to find the solution, as it dreads me when I see RC pops up in my screen?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 04:19
Quote:
Analyzing your work

Everyone already knows that it’s important to review your work on the problems you do, but did you know that it’s also important to review how you read and take your notes? When you’re done with a passage and the associated questions, start your review with the passage itself. When you were done reading (but before you answered questions), what did you think The Point was? What did you think the purpose of each paragraph was? Did that knowledge or understanding change as you worked your way through the questions?
If you misunderstood something after the first read-through, why do you think you misunderstood it? Did you read too quickly and overlook something? Did you not take the time to rephrase what you read? Was the language too hard – were there words or idiomatic expressions that you didn’t know? How could you do this better next time?
Next, match your initial notes to your current knowledge of what information is contained in the passage. Were you able to find the right paragraph easily when answering a specific question? If not, why not? What should you have jotted down on the initial read-through to make that easier? Conversely, did you have too much information jotted down? Maybe you were able to answer a specific question just from your notes, or maybe you had a lot of detail written down that you never had to use. If so, you wrote down too much information and likely spent too much time on the initial read-through.
Could you have abbreviated even more? Write down what that might have looked like. In general, if you feel your notes were fairly far from your “ideal” for any reason, then re-write the notes the way you should have written them the first time.

Something really valuable Ryan!Thanks for sharing!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 09:43
Hi Jacobs!!!
What is the best strategy to answer the main idea and inference Questions. Is pre-thinking necessary or we can just attack the Options and eliminate? Do u have any strategy to answer each type of RC Questions?

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 03:30
hi Ryan

Could you please provide an example how to make abbreviated notes. It would be great help.

Thanks

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2012, 03:30