Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 22:56
I have studied CR from Powerscore LR Bible and MGMAT LSAT CR and GMAT CR guide.

I like the MGMAT's concept of Argument Core (P --> C).
As suggested in Manhattan LSAT CR, I take abbreviated notes of only P --> C relationship in case of Assumption Family Q's and in case of non-Assumption Q's i take abbreviated notes to understand whats going on specially in Inference. With abbreviated notes my accuracy is close to 100%. :-D

The problem is that i am taking ~ 2 minutes (plus minus 15 seconds) to solve a CR Q but with confidence and 100% accuracy. :cry:

If i don't take notes the accuracy goes for a toss and i am hardly confident of choosing the answer :roll:

I don't reread the argument or answer choice.

Any advice :idea: to reduce the time for CR?

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 09:58
Expert's post
bgs4gmat wrote:

As suggested in Manhattan LSAT CR, I take abbreviated notes of only P --> C relationship in case of Assumption Family Q's and in case of non-Assumption Q's i take abbreviated notes to understand whats going on specially in Inference. With abbreviated notes my accuracy is close to 100%. :-D

The problem is that i am taking ~ 2 minutes (plus minus 15 seconds) to solve a CR Q but with confidence and 100% accuracy. :cry:

If i don't take notes the accuracy goes for a toss and i am hardly confident of choosing the answer :roll:

Hi bgs4gmat,

The best way to speed up CR problems is to predict the answer before you look at the answer choices. If you already know what you're looking for, you don't have to read the answers thorough; you can just scan until you find a match. Moreover, you won't waste any time ruling out tempting traps choices--they don't match what you think the answer should be, so you won't get distracted!

Regards,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 5

Re: How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 21:42
Expert's post
bgs4gmat wrote:

I'm not sure why you think taking 2 minutes is a long time. Check out this article on timing benchmarks (http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/keeping-pace.cfm). You can safely take 2 minutes (or even up to 2:30) on CR questions and still have adequate time for all Verbal questions.

To answer your question about speeding up, make sure you are eliminating the clearly wrong answers (ie out of scope) quickly so you can spend quality time determining which of the remaining 2-3 is correct.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Re: How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 22:32
KyleWiddison wrote:

I'm not sure why you think taking 2 minutes is a long time. Check out this article on timing benchmarks (http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/keeping-pace.cfm). You can safely take 2 minutes (or even up to 2:30) on CR questions and still have adequate time for all Verbal questions.

I agree with you and have read the article in past. I was happy to spend the maximum time for particular Q types.
But i end up troubling with time and accuracy with this timing in real exam and mocks. Here are my current timings (taking notes and close to 100% accuracy)
This is what i was averaging before my GMAT:

100+ seconds for SC
120-150 seconds for CR
6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

As i answered Q's correctly the difficult level sets up at 700 plus and i take upper limit of the timing in all Q type.
This sum up to higher than required time for verbal section :-(

KyleWiddison wrote:
To answer your question about speeding up, make sure you are eliminating the clearly wrong answers (ie out of scope) quickly so you can spend quality time determining which of the remaining 2-3 is correct.
KW

This is what i felt made the difference on the exam day. I know all the wrong answer type but wasn't able to internalize the whole process.
I am attempting again all the verbal Q' from Official sources to internalize the whole process of eliminating clearly wrong answer choices faster.

Thanks and Regards

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Re: How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2012, 22:32