Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: How to reduce 'time to solve' for CR Q's [#permalink]
KyleWiddison wrote:

I'm not sure why you think taking 2 minutes is a long time. Check out this article on timing benchmarks (https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/keeping-pace.cfm). You can safely take 2 minutes (or even up to 2:30) on CR questions and still have adequate time for all Verbal questions.

I agree with you and have read the article in past. I was happy to spend the maximum time for particular Q types.
But i end up troubling with time and accuracy with this timing in real exam and mocks. Here are my current timings (taking notes and close to 100% accuracy)
This is what i was averaging before my GMAT:

100+ seconds for SC
120-150 seconds for CR
6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

As i answered Q's correctly the difficult level sets up at 700 plus and i take upper limit of the timing in all Q type.
This sum up to higher than required time for verbal section :-(

KyleWiddison wrote:
To answer your question about speeding up, make sure you are eliminating the clearly wrong answers (ie out of scope) quickly so you can spend quality time determining which of the remaining 2-3 is correct.
KW

This is what i felt made the difference on the exam day. I know all the wrong answer type but wasn't able to internalize the whole process.
I am attempting again all the verbal Q' from Official sources to internalize the whole process of eliminating clearly wrong answer choices faster.

Thanks and Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
[/quote]
I agree with you and have read the article in past. I was happy to spend the maximum time for particular Q types.
But i end up troubling with time and accuracy with this timing in real exam and mocks. Here are my current timings (taking notes and close to 100% accuracy)
This is what i was averaging before my GMAT:

100+ seconds for SC
120-150 seconds for CR
6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

As i answered Q's correctly the difficult level sets up at 700 plus and i take upper limit of the timing in all Q type.
This sum up to higher than required time for verbal section :-(

This is what i felt made the difference on the exam day. I know all the wrong answer type but wasn't able to internalize the whole process.
I am attempting again all the verbal Q' from Official sources to internalize the whole process of eliminating clearly wrong answer choices faster.

Thanks and Regards[/quote]

Hi,

I have come across your article while looking for posts on reducing the time in CR , I am facing the same challenges as you were as I keep on answering the Q's correctly , the difficult level sets up at 700 plus and I end up taking the maximum time in all Questions that results in higher than required time for verbal section. Elimination method as mentioned before works for me in medium difficult questions , but for higher difficult I tend to get stuck with this approach and moreover spend huge amount of time in it. Please suggest what I can do to reduce time.
I am habitual of taking notes but that consumes fair amount of time for me as well.

Please let me know what I can do to correct this. Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks
Megha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
I am really struggling in CT questions.Can anybody give me some tips on how to ace this section.I am able to identify the conclusion and premises but am on my knees on identifying the assumptions.
I am appearing for GMAT on 29th, can anybody please help!!!!

Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's one quick tip. If you're looking through the answer choices of a CR problem, skim them first and begin by working with the ones that are most likely to be correct. Certain CR problem types tend to have right/wrong answers that have a particular 'feel' to them: for example, assumption questions often have a right answer that's very vague and wishy-washy, while one or more of the wrong answer choices will often be too strong or too specific. (Check out this article for more detail: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/ ... at-verbal/) One way to learn these tendencies is to review the CR problems you do very thoroughly, and take notes regarding why the wrong answers were wrong, and why the right answers were right - you'll probably notice a few strong trends quickly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I think 2 minutes on CR questions is reasonable
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts