Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to restart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

How to restart [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 09:53
I wrote my GMAT on 15th April..n did really bad,460 (V17 and Q38).I know I can increase my Q score..but don't know what materials I should follow to increase my verbal score..Should I go for a one to one tutoring or should I study alone?I don't think online courses will help me to increase my verbal score;I tried some free materials..I am now reading articles everyday to build a faster reading habit n also taking notes from those articles to check the grammar and sentence formation...Please suggest..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:17
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
I wrote my GMAT on 15th April..n did really bad,460 (V17 and Q38).I know I can increase my Q score..but don't know what materials I should follow to increase my verbal score..Should I go for a one to one tutoring or should I study alone?I don't think online courses will help me to increase my verbal score;I tried some free materials..I am now reading articles everyday to build a faster reading habit n also taking notes from those articles to check the grammar and sentence formation...Please suggest..

If you're struggling, you should never study alone. Everyone's learning style is different.

If you have no budget concerns, I would recommend private tutoring. However, note that the costs can rack up really quick and your tutor may or may not be what you want. Your best option would be to get a friend to help you - treat your friend to dinner or something small.

Are you sure nothing online would work for you? Perhaps this lesson or these reading comprehension tutorials?

Keep up the reading progress up. A little bit of progress each day can add up to a lot. Good luck!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:12
Expert's post
Studying alone is tough - only if you really making noticeable progress (as indicated by practice exams) should you continue studying alone. In your situation, I would definitely recommend at least a classroom, if not 1:1 tutoring. A classroom will provide both structure and instruction. Going at it alone can oftentimes lead to you missing important concepts.

A good tutor - while not cheap - can lead to dramatic point increase in little time. Unlike a classroom, where you can be one of a dozen, at the mercy of a schedule (and sometimes a script) an instructor has to follow, a private tutor can quickly discover those areas in which you struggle, whether it be the way you approach a question or certain concepts on which you only have a tenuous grasp.

An alternative are computer-based learning programs, such as Magoosh. Depending on the availability of GMAT classes and/or tutors, a computer-based GMAT program is both viable and convenient. While you do not get the individualized attention of a tutor, or an instructor whom you can pepper with questions after class, we at Magoosh always get back to student's queries in less than 24 hours.

Whichever route you choose, good luck, and know that you are not going at it alone :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3795 [2] , given: 148

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:

In another post, you said your Verbal is weak and asked about the number of study hrs. I am going to answer both your questions here.

2/3 rd of the Verbal doesn't even test your language skills directly.
CR is about reasoning and if your Quant is good, you know your reasoning skills are fine. You just have to go through the theory to fine tune your thought process and then apply it on a few 100 questions.
RC is about comprehension. It doesn't matter whether you know the correct usage of verbs/nouns/pronouns etc. All you need to do is read a passage and answer questions based on info give to you right there in the passage. A little bit of practice should make you see lots of improvement. That's the good thing about scoring low - there is tremendous room for improvement!
SC is the only section that quizzes you on your language skills directly. Once you know the most common errors tested on GMAT, you start noticing them everywhere. It's again a matter of practice from here on.
You have to decide how you study best. Self study/online/classroom/tutor whatever works. Keep to your method as long as you are seeing improvement. Once improvement stops, reassess what you need to do.
As for number of hrs, I would suggest you to try to put in a couple of hrs in the morning and a couple in the evening. Say, work on Quant in the morning and Verbal in the evening. Also, make sure you take 1 or 2 days off. You don't want to peak too early. You can take some section tests over the weekend to revise all you do during the week. This is just a rough plan though.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 06:03
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:

In another post, you said your Verbal is weak and asked about the number of study hrs. I am going to answer both your questions here.

2/3 rd of the Verbal doesn't even test your language skills directly.
CR is about reasoning and if your Quant is good, you know your reasoning skills are fine. You just have to go through the theory to fine tune your thought process and then apply it on a few 100 questions.
RC is about comprehension. It doesn't matter whether you know the correct usage of verbs/nouns/pronouns etc. All you need to do is read a passage and answer questions based on info give to you right there in the passage. A little bit of practice should make you see lots of improvement. That's the good thing about scoring low - there is tremendous room for improvement!
SC is the only section that quizzes you on your language skills directly. Once you know the most common errors tested on GMAT, you start noticing them everywhere. It's again a matter of practice from here on.
You have to decide how you study best. Self study/online/classroom/tutor whatever works. Keep to your method as long as you are seeing improvement. Once improvement stops, reassess what you need to do.
As for number of hrs, I would suggest you to try to put in a couple of hrs in the morning and a couple in the evening. Say, work on Quant in the morning and Verbal in the evening. Also, make sure you take 1 or 2 days off. You don't want to peak too early. You can take some section tests over the weekend to revise all you do during the week. This is just a rough plan though.

WOW..those are really good tricks for me...Thanks a lot Karishma...Can you suggest me any materials that I should use?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Dare and the world always yields. lf it beats you sometimes, dare it again and again and it will succumb[img]http://www.cx-7.info/g.gif
[/img]
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3795 [0], given: 148

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 18:08
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
WOW..those are really good tricks for me...Thanks a lot Karishma...Can you suggest me any materials that I should use?

Start with whatever material you already have. Once you go through all of it and many practice problems thoroughly, take a GMAT prep test and figure out the sections that you are not comfortable with. Based on those sections, I can guide you on the books you could get.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: How to restart [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 21:44
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:

Start with whatever material you already have. Once you go through all of it and many practice problems thoroughly, take a GMAT prep test and figure out the sections that you are not comfortable with. Based on those sections, I can guide you on the books you could get.

So kind of you..I will let you know about my progress...Thanks..:)
Re: How to restart   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2012, 21:44