Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Score a GMAT Paper Test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to Score a GMAT Paper Test [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 03:36
Hi this is Kunal Isharani... I am giving my GMAT on Nov. 17 ... I have been practicing tests which are paper based and also computer based. I actually want to know that how do I evaluate my score?

Can the score be derived from the no. right , wrong and unanswered? If yes then what is the method used.

I would only want a rough estimate as this would make it easier for me to judge as to where do I stand and what more I need to do to acheive a higher score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 07:13
hey man, best bet is to do the simulated CATs and get your score from them. Havne't done many myself, but what i read, GMATPrep is a good indicator.

Good luck dude!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 08:10
You can't really get a reliable score from a paper test, because the real thing is adaptive. I would focus more on which questions you get wrong or right, and learn from mistakes. Use it as a practice tool, but not a predictive one. Only use CATs to get an idea of your score.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 09:40
The official paper tests give scoring guidelines at the end. For those that have taken these things in the past (SAT, LSAT, etc.) then the scoring formula is pretty typical. You take the number you got correct, then deduct 1/4 point for each missed question (essentially you miss 1 1/4 total for each wrong answer) which will leave you with a raw score. Then there is a chart that translates raw scores to overall scores, based on the scaled difficulty of the exam.

I agree that the exams are not perfect prep tools because they are not adaptive, but I found them superior to all sources other than the OG & GMATprep. They are official questions from real exams and provide a much better foundation for understanding what real questions call for. I also found the tests to be pretty accurate in predicting my score, far better than the Kaplan so called CAT. I took 5 paper tests and scored between 750-780. I scored between 750-790 on GMATprep and I got 730 then 780 on the real thing.

On the Kaplan so-called CAT...I got 590. Needless to say, that result was worthless.
Intern
Intern

thanks [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 07:13
hey thanks for the replies.

i am actually from india and here we get a CBT GMAT test on which the score came to 450. So now i do not know how to judge my score. I have also taken classes and answering paper tests but that only gives me the number right or wrong and not the actual score.

Anyways thanks for your suggestions. I'll solve the CATs and check my score. But still let me know if I can get a rough method to calculate my score even on the paper tests.
Intern
Intern

Can't find GMATPrep - please help! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 10:28
Pelihu,

Thanks for your post. I am new here and I have been trying to decide what kind of review materials to purchase. I read your post saying that you found GMATPrep to be a good source. Can you please provide the publisher's name to GMATPrep? I was trying to look for it online but didn't have any luck. In addition, I have the 10th edition of OG, do you believe that there is a significant difference between the 10th and 11th editions that I should purchase the 11th edition as well?

Thank you very much in advance.

Shai
Can't find GMATPrep - please help!   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2006, 10:28