Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to score higher?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to score higher? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2003, 08:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi folks,
I took GMAT a week ago and despite scoring consistently around 600(although it's considerd a bad score) I was severely suffering from Typhoid and got just 540, despite scoring 47 in math. I know I could have performed better in verbal, had I been better.

I have scored 267 in TOEFL. I am retaking GMAT in a month a so. But still find difficulty how to get very good score esp in Verbal. I have referred Kaplan, Barrons and Cliff, but not sure what to do now since I have already referred then once.
Please give me suggestions about how to improve the verbal score esp.

I will be obliged to you.[/quote]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2003, 22:07
This forum is not for such questions. It is for teaching only. Nevertheless, I would advise you to understand your weak skills in verbalism. What are they? Logic, reading, or grammar? Work on your weak skills over and over again. IMO: Unfortunately, an overwhelming majority of the prep materials are VERY weak when it comes to reading and logic. It is especially so for nonnative speakers like me. An explanation such as 'It is A because all the rest are wrong' infuriates me and leaves me none the wiser than I was before reading this s--t.

To improve my verbal performance, I used LSAT materials. They are more difficult than those for the GMAT, but they are worth going through. As for grammar and idioms, you can find lots of them here, at this site.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to score higher? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2003, 08:01
Hi guy,
How many time you read official preparation and other books? I go through it no less than 3 time but always find something new. Try not to reffer to the key.
I take gmat like crazy last year but know I still have to take it.

I have 2 month for gmat.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: How to score higher? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2003, 15:25
Nehal wrote:
Hi folks,
I took GMAT a week ago and despite scoring consistently around 600(although it's considerd a bad score) I was severely suffering from Typhoid and got just 540, despite scoring 47 in math. I know I could have performed better in verbal, had I been better.

I have scored 267 in TOEFL. I am retaking GMAT in a month a so. But still find difficulty how to get very good score esp in Verbal. I have referred Kaplan, Barrons and Cliff, but not sure what to do now since I have already referred then once.
Please give me suggestions about how to improve the verbal score esp.

I will be obliged to you.
[/quote]

hey nehal

Sorry about that.
Start working on your grammar skills and as stolyar pointed out, get hold of LSAT materials for CR and RC.
For grammar, check out websters website.

Read a lot of good american papers
http://www.wsj.com and http://www.economist.com are good places to start.

finally, write down every mistake you do. and go over those once a week.

write back if you need any further help.

good luck
praetorian
Re: How to score higher?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2003, 15:25