Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to speed up answering math questions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

how to speed up answering math questions? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2005, 23:52
Hi all,

I am a bit new to the forum.. I took a few challenges and

I was wondering how people (esp. at the top few places)can finish them so quickly - often in less than an hour. I always run out of time and often have to guess on last 2-4 questions.

Any tips??

Thanks!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [2] , given: 66

Re: how to speed up answering math questions? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Noblescorpion, by far the most efficient way to speed up your quant solving rate is to memorize the multiplication table you knew back in elementary. This 12x12 grid helps you out on the exam more than any other single piece of advice I can give. Many questions rely on you multiplying, dividing or squaring numbers in this range, but the real trick is that this is but one aspect of the question as a whole. If you don't get sidetracked with 10-15 or more seconds trying to solve 9x12, you can save these seconds on multiple questions and come out ahead by several minutes over the entire exam.

The other huge benefit is that you don't get sidetracked while solving a question with mechanical calculations. This keeps your brain focused on the problem at hand and eliminates unnecessary rereading and even falling for some trap answers. If you're trying to solve a question for x that requires you to divide 42 by 7, if you quickly know the answer is 6, you keep the x in mind and don't start contemplating 7 or 42 or any other superfluous number.

There are other tips that can help, but if you're running out of time for 3-4 questions, this means you're running about 5-10 minutes late. The multiplication table should get you back at least this time. Incidentally, this also teaches you the perfect squares from 1 to 12. Feel free to add 13^2 (169), 14^2 (196) and 15^2 (225) to the end of that list.

Good luck and please feel free to let me know if this worked for you or if you're already fast at mental math and are looking for other tips.
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [2] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: how to speed up answering math questions? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
noblescorpion wrote:
Hi all,
I am a bit new to the forum.. I took a few challenges and
I was wondering how people (esp. at the top few places)can finish them so quickly - often in less than an hour. I always run out of time and often have to guess on last 2-4 questions.
Any tips??
Thanks!

The best thing you can do is practice. The more you practice, the better you get: in terms of both accuracy and speed. Speed is highly co-related with your knowledge of the a topic (conceptual clarity) and the best way to enhance that is to practice. I believe it is less to do with learning tables or doing quick calculations. In fact, I slowed down on my calculations most of the times - that is where I screwed up on most of the questions.

I wrote gmat twice and got a decent quant score both the times. On both my attempts, I was never too far ahead of my schedule. In my opinion, people who complete the test in 60 minutes and score a Q48/49 have a timing problem as well. Optimizing your performance in the given time is the key and the more you practice under timed (and untimed) conditions, the more you know your strengths and weaknesses, the better chances you have of doing well on the exam.

My suggestion, therefore, would be to practice more and once you hit higher accuracy rates, try to hit some speed.

you may also use this: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html?fl=menu
CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: how to speed up answering math questions? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 20:13
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: how to speed up answering math questions?   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2014, 20:13