Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 15:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to start GMAT Preperations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
18 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [18] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
How to start GMAT Preperations [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I have seen a lot of guys thinking about how to start GMAT preparations. So, I thought let's right a post (which can be updated by experienced GMAT gurus) which might help people in deciding!

The very first thing is take a mock test! (GMATPREP1, you can download gmatprep software from mba.com website)
-> taking the test is suggested as then only you will come to know about your weaker areas (where you stand)

Once you are done with the practice test and have analyzed you weak areas then I will suggest the following for the respective sections:--

Verbal

SC - Manhattan SC guide.

For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps. (Dont do the hard problems for now!)

Once you are done with all the chapters then schedule a game in grockit.com for all the topics and all the difficulty levels taken together.
Then you can do things from gmatclub. You can find a list of gmatclub tags in my signature.

Once you are done with everything then to strengthen your concepts you can go through Thursdays with Ron Videos. (link in my singaturE)
Once, you are done with everything then you can go to OG and practice! and do questions from grockit and gmatclub.

CR - Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible

For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps.(Dont do the hard problems for now!)
Once you are done with all the chapters then schedule a game in grockit.com for all the topics and all the difficulty levels taken together.
Then you can do things from gmatclub. You can find a list of gmatclub tags in my signature.
Once, you are done with everything then you can go to OG and practice! and do questions from grockit and gmatclub.

RC - Start reading more!

Strategy1
Create a passage map as you read.
- Write a brief note about each paragraph as you read the passage
- Write down the point of view of the author (postive, negative)
- Write a heading for the passage
- Keep an eye on the places where details are mentioned. (so that you can easily refer back as and when required)

Answering the Questions:
1. Read the first question
2. Write down a prediction.
3. Use the passage map to locate the part of the passage. Eliminate the 3 out of scope choices.
4. Select the correct answer by re-reading the part of the passage which is discussed if you are not sure about the answer.

Good Book to practice passage map: RC99

Strategy2
As in the real exam you might not get the proper time to write the passage map and stuff then I will suggest you to read the passage first and then answer the questions.

General Advice
Start reading more of
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/
http://www.scientificamerican.com/
http://www.economist.com/
And anything related to history and things which you don't like reading! (as am engineer so I don't like reading medical stuff)

Resource: Thursdays with Ron(you can find the link in my signature) is a good resource for RC. Specially for the "main idea questions"

Quant

Manhattan Guides
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps..(Dont do the hard problems for now!)

-> practice a LOT on grockit.com!

Miscellaneous

-> Watch "Thursdays with RON" sessions!(you can find the link in my signature)
-> go through posts in gmatclub and beatthegmat!
-> make study partners and discuss things!

Progress Chart

Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

Error Log

Make a serach for effor log in gmatclub. There are lots of error logs available. Make a list of all the errors which do and make sure that you don't repeat the same error again!

Resources

-> Kaplan 800 is also a good book(according to me) to try once you are done with your preparations!
-> Verbal review, Quant Review, Manhattan Advanced Quant
-> Try doing the old paper tests (you can buy it online i guess or you can ask around for help!)
-> Practice from grockit.com
-> Solve questions from gmatclub and beatthegmat. Hell lot of questions are there!
-> 1000SC
http://thousandsc.blogspot.in/
-> 1000CR
http://thousandcr-gmat.blogspot.in/
-> 1000RC
You can get the file for download (online)

After doing all this I will suggest you to start writing mock tests and once things look good then you can keep writing them!

Tests

-> You get two free tests from mba.com (they are very close to the actual gmat!) (You can do one when you are done with your prep and one just 1-2 days before your actual exam)
-> Manhattan Tests. 6 tests(1 free and 5 paid)
-> GmatClub tests
-> And many more sites such as grockit, knewton, kaplan,etc... provide online CATs

Good luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!
Good Luck for your prep!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How to start GMAT Preperations [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 05:28
Ok .. THank for your sharing.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to start GMAT Preperations [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 01:39
Hi Ankit,

Thanks for outlining the strategy to prepare for the GMAT. I have noticed that you have not really put a significant focus on the "Difficult" questions that are on Grockit. What should, according to you, one do if he/she is getting bad accuracy in these difficult questions? Is it that this difficulty level is not tested on the GMAT?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to start GMAT Preperations [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 03:16
Club800 wrote:
Hi Ankit,

Thanks for outlining the strategy to prepare for the GMAT. I have noticed that you have not really put a significant focus on the "Difficult" questions that are on Grockit. What should, according to you, one do if he/she is getting bad accuracy in these difficult questions? Is it that this difficulty level is not tested on the GMAT?

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. I missed the notification.
As far as I have seen, the tough problems in grockit are really tough. So, if you are able to do tough problems from other sources (like gmatclub), which are closer to gmat then other sources then you should be good to go for a 51.
I would like to re-itterate that its a personal opinion and might not be true.

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: How to start GMAT Preperations [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:41
thanks for sharing
Re: How to start GMAT Preperations   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 09:41