Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to start this process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to start this process [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 13:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

Alright I am new to this and I just need some help getting off the ground. I am 2 years out of undergrad and I'm not sure what the first step is in the process of getting into a top tier b-school. But I think one of the first steps is to take the GMAT but I would love some insights on study material and step up of the exam, i.e. length, # of questions, time, all in costs (including study material etc...) Or if anyone has any links or links to other posts like this, it would be most helpful.

-Thanks everyone!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 10

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, and welcome.

For prep material I would suggest the following:
Kaplan Premiere (Good for starting)
Kaplan 800
Manhattan GMAT Books - All math and sentence correction (Highly recommend)
Official Guide 11th ed. (Highly Recommend)
OG Verbal and Math Supplements (Highly Recommend)

While studying for your gmat, I would browse this forum & the knowledge vault, and start researching schools.
Then narrow down on the schools that fit your needs.

After taking the gmat, I would start outlining the essay questions from each school you plan on applying to get a good feel of which school essay questions might overlap one another to get a time plan set up on which schools to apply first.

At this point, I would also suggest that you start to think of people who you can ask for LOR's.

I am sorry if this is to general and all over the place. I suggest reading Montauks book called How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs. I have just started reading it. I won't be applying for another 2 or 3 years for B school, but been researching since Sept. 07 and still learning; however this is a great forum with a lot of people willing to help you get into your dream school.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:34
Hey thanks for the input much appreciated. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are LOR's? I've started reading up on the knowledge vault and alot of posts have been helpful. And I have been looking for a book so maybe I'll take a look at that one. Another questions how may hours do people study for the exam ( I am looking to get 700+), I just finished studing level III of the CFA exam so I am kinda burnt out but still have some left in the tank.

Thanks again.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 07:41
from the text, I infer that LORs is short for letters of recommendation, I could be wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 08:15
Gmatnub is correct. AM23Finance CFA level III, that is great. I am looking into prepping for level I, but I am still researching if a CFA would be beneficial or not. I am actually new to the whole process as well. I just graduated, but I have been planning on going to business school, and trying to get into finance with my engineering background, since my 3rd year in college.

I just purchased my gmat prep material, but I have previously studied for the lsat, and I put in roughly 4 hr on weekdays and more on weekends as a student. Once I start working, I would probably put in 2 to 3 hrs on weekdays, and more on the weekends.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 17:46
Hey great thanks. 89nk how long do you plan on studying for months wise?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: How to start this process [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 19:45
I plan on giving myself 3 months, where I will set up a rigid study schedule, and study intensely for it. Then, I will take a preptest, and hopefully I will be scoring in my preferred range, and then I will take the real exam.

Some posters have told me to follow a rigid study schedule, and prep with a deadline so you do not prolong the study period and burn yourself out.

I prepped for the LSAT for over a year, and I got burnt out. I do not plan on making the same mistake twice. Hopefully the GMAT won't be as bad.
Re: How to start this process   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2008, 19:45