Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Strengthen my Application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 16

How to Strengthen my Application [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 21:49
I'm interested in going to business school in two years. I graduated from TAMU with a 3.5 gpa. I'm planning on taking the GMAT next summer. I have 5 years of experience working as a teacher. 2 of those years I have worked in a supervisory role. During my five years I have received awards for outstanding performance. Would it be in my best interests to try to seek a position in the private sectors to make my application stronger? I'm afraid that business schools would want to know why a teacher wants an MBA, especially selective schools. At the same time, the reason that I want to gain an MBA is because I want to be involved in education administration (i.e. financial officer for school district, etc). I'm in no hurry but would appreciate any advice you may have for me.

FYI: I'm aiming for TAMU or Rice.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Strengthen my Application [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 07:56
josemnz83 wrote:
I'm interested in going to business school in two years. I graduated from TAMU with a 3.5 gpa. I'm planning on taking the GMAT next summer. I have 5 years of experience working as a teacher. 2 of those years I have worked in a supervisory role. During my five years I have received awards for outstanding performance. Would it be in my best interests to try to seek a position in the private sectors to make my application stronger? I'm afraid that business schools would want to know why a teacher wants an MBA, especially selective schools. At the same time, the reason that I want to gain an MBA is because I want to be involved in education administration (i.e. financial officer for school district, etc). I'm in no hurry but would appreciate any advice you may have for me.

FYI: I'm aiming for TAMU or Rice.

You're good to go, do not enter the private sector! Rice has a great program, and Houston is a hotspot for ed reform right as you know. If you're open to schooling outside of Texas, there are some schools out there where you can get a dual degree in education administration, Michigan Ross being one of them. Stanford is another. USC at one point had a MBA/EdD program which may or may not exist still. And maybe NYU had something too. In any event, a lot of the traditional top 20 MBA programs are pipeline schools for Education Pioneers which will put you in that finance or operations role. Even without the dual degree, I would check on Yale, Haas, and Fuqua as well as they all have great non-profit and education-type people and clubs. A lot might depend on your GMAT with some of these programs, but just some things to look at as you're exploring graduate school!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7