Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: how to study effectively with official questions [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatgambler wrote:
I am preparing for GMAT for 5 months now and during the preparation I have gone through most of the official sources/official questions. My score did not improve much and I am stuck at 610 to 640 range. I enrolled for the online course and I would like to know if it is worth practicing official questions again? For example -is it okay to do all the RC passages all over again. What is the best way to study with official questions that one has studied couple of times?

Depends on what official material you are talking about - OG13/Review Guides/Prep tests/Question Pack

If you are talking about OG13 or Review guides, and if you have done the questions a couple of times, you will not get any real benefit out of them. Not because there isn't real benefit in them but because
- you will not get the feel that a new question gives you. Instead you will feel the comfort you feel from familiarity.
- most questions of these sources are up to 650 level so if you want to see harder questions, these sources are not very useful.
- if you have already done them twice, you may not put your heart into analyzing them properly - the thing that actually gives all the benefit
You can review the questions you found hard last time - if you have marked them - to ensure that now, you do get the logic.

On the other hand, the prep tests and the question packs do have harder questions and there might still be plenty of questions in them with which you may not be comfortable. You should re-review them, try to solve them on your own using multiple methods, check out the solution, log your takeaways etc.

For RC, again, new passages will bring in most value. Once you understand a piece of writing, it seems very reasonable and logical to you. But first reads are often confusing and need more time. For some serious practice, I would suggest you to look for new material. You can come back to the hard official questions once you see improvement. They will still not give you a realistic picture since you have already done them twice so don't get complacent.

Check out our free question bank for lots of new questions: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: how to study effectively with official questions [#permalink]