Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to travel to Tuck?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 21:43
Hello all - I am curious about the various ways that people get to Tuck. (obviously planes/trains/cars/bus). But, more to the point, what combination of the above, and what are the advantages/drawbacks of each. I live out on the west coast and If I were to attend, my wife would be flying out frequently. Just trying to see how that would work.

So far we have thought of:
-Fly into boston, drive/bus to Tuck (this is about 3 hours on the road? and is it possible in winter?)
-Fly into manchester, drive/bus (slightly worse flight choices, but a shorter drive than boston - say 2.5 hours?)
-Fly into Lebanon (because I just LOVE paying the extra $300 for a flight on a 10-seat plane?)
-Fly into Hartford and use amtrack (As if the amtrack station will be anywhere NEAR the hartford airport. Then there is the 4.5 hour train ride)
-There was an airport about 60 miles away in Vermont, but it looked like the drive would be worse than the one from Manchester

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
westsider wrote:
Hello all - I am curious about the various ways that people get to Tuck. (obviously planes/trains/cars/bus). But, more to the point, what combination of the above, and what are the advantages/drawbacks of each. I live out on the west coast and If I were to attend, my wife would be flying out frequently. Just trying to see how that would work.

So far we have thought of:
-Fly into boston, drive/bus to Tuck (this is about 3 hours on the road? and is it possible in winter?)
-Fly into manchester, drive/bus (slightly worse flight choices, but a shorter drive than boston - say 2.5 hours?)
-Fly into Lebanon (because I just LOVE paying the extra $300 for a flight on a 10-seat plane?)
-Fly into Hartford and use amtrack (As if the amtrack station will be anywhere NEAR the hartford airport. Then there is the 4.5 hour train ride)
-There was an airport about 60 miles away in Vermont, but it looked like the drive would be worse than the one from Manchester

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I used option 2 back in November, renting a car in Manchester & it took me about 1.25 hrs (80 mi) in good weather. Most students use option 1 by taking Dartmouth coach from Boston Logan. Manchester airport is also connected by bus service. Driving yourself could be a problem in winter from what I've heard. My friend said that IH-89 is closed down during snowstorms.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
The two times I went I flew into Manchester and drove. I'm from DC so I could get a direct flight to Manchester on Southwest. If it's convenient for you (ie: you don't have multiple layovers or a five hour layover) I would probably suggest flying into Manchester simply because it's slightly closer and it's a MUCH smaller airport than Logan thus you don't have to deal with Boston delays or traffic. I also did the drive in the middle of a snowstorm and while it sucked they certainly didn't close the roads. It's not as easy as getting to some places that's for sure.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 08:40
So, it is looking like manchester is the leading candidate. I was hoping someone would mention a bullet train that goes straight from an airport in NYC and takes 30 minutes that I somehow didnt know about =)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 10:53
westsider wrote:
So, it is looking like manchester is the leading candidate. I was hoping someone would mention a bullet train that goes straight from an airport in NYC and takes 30 minutes that I somehow didnt know about =)

LOL - no bullet train, no. There is an Amtrak train that leaves from Penn Station in NYC, but that's about a 6 hour ride, as I recall. Incredibly beautiful countryside and views, once you get out of Connecticut, but no good at all if you are on any kind of a tight schedule.

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 10:57
Is there an Amtrak station in Hanover? It doesn't say so on the Amtrak website

Also on the Greyhound station it says that bus ticket cannot be purchased in their station in Hanover, therefore it seems to me that you can only get to Hanover on Greyhound but not get out of Greyhound on it :)

.... clarifications please

GO BLUE !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 12:41
Most of the bus/train options go in and out of White River Junction, VT which is just across the river from NH. This is about 5-10 mins from Tuck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 16:03
hmmm ok, and does the school organize transport to white river junction?... like a shuttle or something?

GO BLUE !!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 18:26
If there's an Amtrak station in Hannover, why don't you fly into Boston then go from the airport to South Station and take the train from there? All of these can be done without any driving.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 20:48
As a person who lives in NH, its a simple answer. Manchester. If you have the ability to fly southwest it most likely will be the same price if not cheaper than Logan. Also Manchester is an amazingly easy airport to get in and out of...Logan is a nightmare. Renting a car and figuring out how to get there is simple from Manchester compared to Logan. Driving in Boston is tough for anyone let alone a visitor. Dont be afraid to drive up, just keep an eye on the weather. NH does a far better job clearing roads than a lot of places, and you can always cancel if its going to be snowing like crazy.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 21:49
Wow, lots of good advice coming in. Thanks everone!
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to travel to Tuck? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 01:38
I'll fly into Manchester and take the bus for the Tuck ASW.
Re: How to travel to Tuck?   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2008, 01:38