Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to up speed and keep myself motivated.. ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

how to up speed and keep myself motivated.. ? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 14:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hi.
i'm giving my GMAT in a month now. i've been preparing for a couple weeks. the books i have are :

Manhattan complete set
PowerScore CR
Aristotle SC Grail
OG 12th,
verbal review, 2nd
RC 99
1000 RC
1000 CR

out of these i've completed the manhattan series (90%). i've used SC Grail for reference but i prefer manhattan. i tried powerscore but again i liked manhattan better..

now my main problem is Verbal. quant i'm pretty comfortable with. i gave a mock test in the beginning of my prep and got a Q 48, V 20. pathetic i know. so i've been trying to improve on my verbal.
i'm solving questions, understanding the concepts and tricks. but the problem is then if suppose i get 3-4 questions wrong in a row and dont understand the explanation (as to why exactly my ans were wrong), i really lose heart and keep thinking that it's too tough for me the write the GMAT. i'm a bit younger than those who would generally write the GMAT so i keep thinking that it's too tough for me.
i lose stamina when doing many verbal questions at a stretch..
i could really use a confidence boost from someone. is there something i'm doing wrong? i read the concepts from the book then solve questions for the OG corresponding to the chapters i've studied.. i hit about 60-70% but that's it. if there's a question on SC or CR, i am usually able to get them correct but then that's only if i spend 2-3 min on each question..

what should i do? study differently? just practise more? give up? i dont know! :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: how to up speed and keep myself motivated.. ? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
A few suggestions that will help:

1st of all: Stop defeating yourself. The questions will always be the same questions and will have the same answers and methods to solve them always. They always make sense, but may not to you at the moment because you don't understand them. Just work on your understanding. Focus ONLY on answering the question being asked, not ridiculous things like "I can't get good enough" or "this is too hard." Self-defeatism is a dangerous virus that builds on itself and will drive you to your knees if you indulge in it. Keep working at improving. It is obvious from your post that you need improvement in your verbal ability and your GMAT verbal shows that too. Keep working on improving your ability and you will get there if you put in the effort you need to.

2nd of all: This might take longer than you want it to. Case in point: To study for my first GMAT I got up at 5am every morning during the week and would study. I would study after I got home from work each day. I would do 2 practice tests with a full review and more practice on the weekends. I thought I was ready. I took the GMAT and scored a 600.
What did I do? Sit and ruminate in self-pity forever wondering, "Why me? I'll never be good enough." or other non-constructive things that do NOTHING to help the situation? No. I said: "Well, need to change some things and study again." So I lived in my bedroom for 10 weeks studying and changing my study habits where I knew I should change them. Did nothing else except work and study. I took the GMAT a second time and scored a 700.
There is a story of a girl on here who studied for ~8 hours every day for 6 months and scored a 720 and some people who studied for 2 weeks and scored a 730. The point is that if your abilities are not up to the level needed to score what you desire to score on the test you must work on improving them. That is all. No other crazy thoughts or self pity. Just improve your abilities. Achievement is a choice, not a predetermined outcome. For some it takes longer than others. So be it. Choose to improve until you can score what you need to in verbal.

3rd of all: As for a few suggestions to improve verbal, it is clear that you are not a native English speaker from your post. One suggestion is to read an American newspaper every morning. The newspaper uses a lot of the grammar, structure, and style that is used on the GMAT and will make you more familiar with how sentences "are supposed to be." It makes a bigger difference than one may think and for a non-native test-taker this should help you a lot if it helped me (native speaker). Flashcards of wrong problems may help too. They made a big difference in my studying when I scored a 700. Write the questions that you get wrong on one side and the right answer, an explanation of why that is the right answer, and what you need to do to answer similar questions correctly in the future on the other side. Take a look at how you are studying; there are always things you can to do improve your study methods.

Bottom line: The GMAT is impersonal. It challenges people; those that seriously want to get into a good business school will do what it takes to score well. That is what is great about it. For some it takes longer and may take multiple attempts (me as an example). I won't delve into the psychology of it but if you truly believe that you will score well and are willing to do whatever it takes you will achieve the score you desire. I promise you with the purest of my sincerity.

Best wishes and future congratulations on your great GMAT score. Crush it!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: how to up speed and keep myself motivated.. ? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 16:04
2Victory wrote:
Achievement is a choice, not a predetermined outcome.

i'm going to come back and read your post daily! really has given me a boost! honestly!
thank you so much for that! i really needed some encouragement.

i'll absolutely follow up on the points that you've mentioned. thank you for the advice.
you're right. i can either just sit here and cry about my low score or actually do something about it!
i'll surely follow your points and try not to lose hope again! will keep posting my progress!

Thank you !
Re: how to up speed and keep myself motivated.. ?   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2012, 16:04