Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to use the OG Guide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 09:52
Hi all,

I am in the position of a serious time-crunch. I believe the questions in the OGs (both the main one and the specific Quant and Verbal ones) have questions in increasing order of difficulty.

Unlike many others on this board who are aiming for really high scores, I am only aiming for a 650-700 score. So my question is, if I am short on time, should I even bother doing the questions in the OG towards the ends of sections (ie. the last questions, which are the hardest questions... presumably for people aiming for 750+ scores)?

Does that make sense? I'm just wondering if I should even be spending time on these questions which will probably be impossibly hard for me to answer anyway. Should I be focusing on the questions which are more in the 650-700 difficulty level?

Thanks!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 10:05
sfeng wrote:
Hi all,

I am in the position of a serious time-crunch. I believe the questions in the OGs (both the main one and the specific Quant and Verbal ones) have questions in increasing order of difficulty.

Unlike many others on this board who are aiming for really high scores, I am only aiming for a 650-700 score. So my question is, if I am short on time, should I even bother doing the questions in the OG towards the ends of sections (ie. the last questions, which are the hardest questions... presumably for people aiming for 750+ scores)?

Does that make sense? I'm just wondering if I should even be spending time on these questions which will probably be impossibly hard for me to answer anyway. Should I be focusing on the questions which are more in the 650-700 difficulty level?

Thanks!!!

I think that you should do all of the OG questions because:
- You can learn from your mistakes from the official sources => avoid the same mistake on the real test
- OG overall is easier compared to GMAT
- OG first.. after you have exhausted OG, move to other resources. Remember to review your mistakes and your strengths regularly.

Hope it helps.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 10:10
Expert's post
sfeng wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!!

You're on the right track to focus on OG because you will get the highest quality practice questions this way from the people who make the exam.

If you're really tight on time, it's OK to pass on questions that "appear" to be super difficult. However, if you take this approach, make sure you make the most of the questions that you DO do. Review them religiously. Figure out patterns in your mistakes. Is it possible to solve the question in a lot less time?

Also, make sure you make the most of the GMAT Prep software - a new version just came out and you can download it here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-prep-about ... reasoning/

You can see our review of OG13 here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-prep-about ... guarantee/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 14:10
Thanks for the heads up on the use of the OGs. I will now solve each OG Question systematically and be able to properly review my mistakes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 09-14-2013
GPA: 2.64
WE: General Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 01:01
I don't I saw any exam date posted. When thinking about the best and most efficient strategy, we should consider our timeframe and time commitment (ie. someone studying 5 hours a day for a month vs 2-3 hours a day for two months).

In general, I do believe the OG questions are perfect because like you mention they build on each another. I've tried several things and from what I've seen the only thing helping me on my practice exams have been the OG ones. Hope this helps a little. When are you taking your exam?

Stats by August 2014
28, Asian-American, Raised in the Bronx, NY. Moved to Houston by myself to graduate HS.
2.64 (downward trend) Economics degree from UT-Austin in Dec. 2009. No excuse, I spent 100% building a student organization that I'm still very active with today.
GMAT Goal: 710+, exam scheduled for September 14, 2013 at 8AM CST

WE: Sales Team Manager at Apple - business development and strategies for the Apple Online Store, Australia. I've also built my own consulting practice working with a successful Startup in Austin, TX, managing their online brand and helping them with analytics.
Past WE: Financial Services advising at Northwestern Mutual Financial, Equities Trading at Kershner Trading Group
Post-MBA Goals: Strategy Consulting or Brand Management in Tech/Fashion

EC: 3 years of National Council on Fraternity (VP, President), Current Chairman of Texas Exes, Asian Alumni Network (2012-2014)
Target: (1) Stern (2) Fuqua (3) McCombs (FT/PT)
Giving this 110%. I appreciate all advice and encouragement. Thank you, everyone.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: How to use the OG Guide [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 09:42
Hey, thanks for the tips everyone.

I'm aiming to take my exam early May (in about 3 weeks). This isn't really flexible as I'm going on vacation for 2 months after that.
Re: How to use the OG Guide   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2012, 09:42