Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to use the OG properly and score 720+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
9 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.9
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [9] , given: 8

How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Courses and practice tests will only get you so far. What took me from 670 to 730 was by doing every single problem in the OG, in a very specific and methodical way.

I am sure you have heard that the OG is gold. If not, you heard it here. OG problems are a scarce resource: only 907. That's it. These are one of the few official sets of problems from the GMAC. Compare that it the near infinite number of problems from various unofficial sources for free or for fee that, while useful, will only take you so far. Treat the OG like the "bible" it is and watch your score soar to 720+.

Here is how:

FIRST: Get generally familiar with the test, problem types, commons questions, and a general understanding of the test material. Maybe even take a paid course like Master GMAT, or any number of other courses. There are other articles on this topic, check those out.

SECOND: Strengthen your weaknesses. Identify, then delve in to the topic specific books from Manhattan GMAT and/or Veritas. THEN do the real work...

When you are ready to use your scarce resource, go for it. The OG:

Think of the entire OG as a series of 40 mini-tests. Once or twice per day you will do one of these mini-tests. Do a cross section of problems; for each test do exactly 6 PS, 5 DS, 4 CR, 4 SC, and one RC passage. This should take approx 50 min, given 2 min for each Quant and 1:45 for each verbal problem. While you do these problems, you will time yourself with a stopwatch, and hit the lap button when you complete each problem. I used my iPhone and it worked really well. This piece is very important.

THEN, when you finish your test, check your answers and write your time next to each problem.

Then go through EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM, right or wrong. Make mental notes:

For questions you got right:
Did I actually get it right or was I lucky?
Could I have done this faster?
Could I have done this in a more reliable way?
If the question was worded differently, would I still have gotten it right?

For questions you got wrong:
Was it a stupid mistake? If so, how can I do the problem in a more reliable way? How can I make my notation better to avoid stupid mistakes? Use a chart? Formula? (For Quant)
Was it a conceptual mistake? Is this subject a weakness? Do I need to study supplemental material?
Could I have done this faster?
Could I have done this in a more reliable way?
If the question was worded differently, would I still have gotten it wrong?

Yes for every single problem!

THEN think through the timing:

Correct and under 2 min: These are your strengths, keep working to maintain or incrementally improve.
Correct and 2-3 min: These are trouble spots, you were right but too slow. Consider this a minor weakness. How can you get the answer faster?
Correct and over 3 min: Notable weakness. Don't forget that these are junior high style problems; almost anyone can get them right in 4 min. Re-look the foundation of the material, get a more in depth conceptual understanding of the subject matter.

Wrong and under 2 min: Probably a stupid mistake, take your time and read it through. Use your notation to avoid quick mistakes.
Wrong and 2-3 min: These are notable weaknesses, you were wrong and slow. Figure out why you got it wrong and why you were too slow: these are different questions with different answers and different solutions.
Wrong and over 3 min: Significant weakness. Go back to the drawing board and restudy the foundation of the material, get a more in depth conceptual understanding of the subject matter. Consider making a note of the Problem sub-type and skipping it altogether on the test (eg, immediately guess and move on) if you don't want to delve in to it.

All said and done every "mini-test" will take 50 min to solve, then and hour or longer to review. This is the level of discipline that most of us need to score 720+. Best of luck. Do this, with this level of detail and method. You will score a 720 or better.

The key, as you have heard before, is the review. Others have come up with similar techniques, this is my spin on it. The review of your work is exponentially more important than doing the problems. Doing 50 problems with great review is easily more valuable than doing 500 problems with no review. Try it and succeed.

Last edited by Cush123 on 11 Jun 2013, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:18
Expert's post
Hi Cush123, I think you're spot on with your comment that reviewing problems is the key to improving. I particularly enjoyed your line about "There is more value in reviewing 50 than doing 500 without review." This is completely true, and yet I keep having to tell students that doing hundreds of hours of problems doesn't serve them well. There is a finite number of problems you want to review, and if you understand those, you're ready for what the exam throws your way. After that the biggest difference will be mental agility on math to use different techniques (algebra, concept, number picking, etc) and ability to differentiate between subtle (but important) differences in verbal. This is where the exam becomes an art as much as a science.

The one thing I'll mention is that the strategy you outlined worked very well for you, it might not work as well for everyone else. Use it as guideline and adjust to what works best for you and you'll undoubtedly see improvement in your scores. The review is probably the most important part after learning the material. If you neglect this aspect of your prep, you're denying yourself a significant chance to improve your strategy and, ultimately, your score.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 09:17
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi Cush123, I think you're spot on with your comment that reviewing problems is the key to improving. I particularly enjoyed your line about "There is more value in reviewing 50 than doing 500 without review." This is completely true, and yet I keep having to tell students that doing hundreds of hours of problems doesn't serve them well. There is a finite number of problems you want to review, and if you understand those, you're ready for what the exam throws your way. After that the biggest difference will be mental agility on math to use different techniques (algebra, concept, number picking, etc) and ability to differentiate between subtle (but important) differences in verbal. This is where the exam becomes an art as much as a science.

The one thing I'll mention is that the strategy you outlined worked very well for you, it might not work as well for everyone else. Use it as guideline and adjust to what works best for you and you'll undoubtedly see improvement in your scores. The review is probably the most important part after learning the material. If you neglect this aspect of your prep, you're denying yourself a significant chance to improve your strategy and, ultimately, your score.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Thanks Ron! I probably could have saved my self some headache if I had gotten more expert advice!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 66

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Haha! Yeah maybe, but you probably wouldn't have learned as much. There is a lot of value in trying and failing, it helps you learn how to succeed the next time. The easier path is not necessarily the best one, and I think this struggle you had to overcome will help you down the line!

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Great regimen. Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [1] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Also please note the GMAT Club's spreadsheet for the OG 13 here: gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-11-12-13th-ed-85956.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
I would add to that the following. Don't create your mini-tests in the same order they are listed on OG. For example don't take PS 1,2,3,4,5,6 , DS 1,2,3,4,5, CR 1,2... Etc. Instead use theGMAT Club's spreadsheet for the OG (all questions are arranged in order of difficulty) that bb mentioned on the previous post and try not to pick only easy or only hard questions for your mini-test

If you learn to do things that you need to do - then someday - you can do things that you want to do.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 1181

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Superb post Cush, thanks!

Dream On...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Crush123,

Your explanation of how to use the OG has helped me do a great error log that I customized to fit the questioned you mentioned that one should ask themselves.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to use the same questions when applying it to verbal though- do you have a set of questions that would be specifically applicable to CR or SC while reviewing OG problems?

Thank you so much!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 116

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
And i think the iphone gmat toolkit ogtracker is one of the best resource for tackling og, it takes you to the endless discussions between members on each problem. This gives you amazing perspective on different problems.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:21
adt29 wrote:
Hi Crush123,

Your explanation of how to use the OG has helped me do a great error log that I customized to fit the questioned you mentioned that one should ask themselves.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to use the same questions when applying it to verbal though- do you have a set of questions that would be specifically applicable to CR or SC while reviewing OG problems?

Thank you so much!

So your question is "How do we change or update the questions to ask when reviewing verbal vs. quant?" OK, fair enough.

My intent was to keep all of the questions generic enough so that they remain applicable to all question types. Overall, this should prove to be the case. As for additional questions to ask when reviewing verbal questions perhaps these may help:

How effective was my approach to reading, understanding, and answering the question? e.g. Did I stick to my game plan? (like read the question stem first in CR, read/summarize/skim the RC passage properly, skim the answer choices in SC to determine tested concepts). Or did you waffle about in your thoughts or reading and waste time while adding to mental confusion?

Make sure you think through your thought process and be honest with yourself. You must be mindful of your thought patterns during the mini-tests. Choose a strategy that works for you for each problem type and stick with it. Then evaluate your self on how well and how consistent you were. I found this was extremely important during verbal.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 13:54
Nice post.
I'm just starting my preparation to GMAT and my 3 months plan starts as you recommend: build/remember notions with MGMAT books.
After that I didn't have a plan on how to start doing exercises but your "1hour drill - 1 to 2 hours review" seems ok to me.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 05:32
Hey there!

Thanks for your insights Cush123. I recently did all the Quant MGMAT books because I was sure Quant would be my weakness (first GMAT Prep was pretty balanced with regard to wrong questions in Quant/Verbal).

I think your approach would also be a good choice for me. However, I wonder how to structure the 40 mini sets you talked about. How did you choose which problems to do in a single set since they are arrangend in (relative) rising difficulty?

Did you pick them randomly?

Thanks for your support!
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:12
Expert's post
I wanted to chime in because one of our GMAT experts recently wrote a blog series about this very subject -- how to use the Official Guide to your advantage. I hope you find it helpful!

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ips-part-i

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... ps-part-ii

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 14:46
Expert's post
The OG is a very good resource, especially for those who are trying to climb up to 700 from, let's say, 400-500. Above 700? I don't think so. The OG has only ~20-40 problems of the 700+ level and it's not enough for solid preparation... just my opinion.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+ [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 15:17
Expert's post
walker wrote:
The OG is a very good resource, especially for those who are trying to climb up to 700 from, let's say, 400-500. Above 700? I don't think so. The OG has only ~20-40 problems of the 700+ level and it's not enough for solid preparation... just my opinion.

Fully agree - see this post with ranking of every question in the OG: og-13-contains-only-5-hard-questions-161788.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How to use the OG properly and score 720+   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2014, 15:17