Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to win the battle?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

How to win the battle? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 08:21
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this club, though not new to GMAT. I took GMAT a couple of times only to get around 530. I took Kaplan classroom course and thought that I improved a lot when my Kaplan CAT scores increased a bit in each test upto 690! Though, I should mention that my verbal scores (around 34) were not as good as my quantitative scores (51 twice). When I took GMAT powerprep, my scores were only around 630. Still, I happened to take the GMAT last month, as planned earlier. I scored 530 again!

I felt too low to think of anything at all. Only recently, I read through many of your postings, which increased my spirit to fight again. Though, I don't know how. I made a note of my errors and concentrated to correct them. I don't understand what could have been wrong, and how could I fix it?

I understand that Kaplan CAT is not an exact simulator of GMAT. However, I see that those who have scored this much in Kaplan, have scored more in GMAT.

I appreciate suggestions and tips to find out my fault and win GMAT. After all, I realize that, GMAT is not invincible. Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 05:57
You need to analyze yourself a little. First, how was your G-Day performance? Were you nervous? Tired? Out of time? Did you under-perform? Second, what are the section scores? What's your biggest challenge, math or verbal? Then break it down even more to SC, CR, RC, DS and PS. Which areas are your weak spots and which ones are the strong areas? What is your preparation style? Have you simply done a lot of practice questions without analyzing them? Do you tend to make careless mistakes or are there questions you just don't know how to solve? Are you picking answers based on how they feel and sound, or do you have to make a random pick between two possible answers and pray you pick the right one?

Stay around in the club and read some posts. There are quite a few valuable posts here discussing preparation strategies and problem solving skills. Also try to participate in solving problems posted here, and compare your approach with others, see if there's room for improvements.

Study hard and study smart, I'm sure you can conqure it.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 07:14
Thank you HongHu.

During my preparation, I spent time analyzing my answers, both right and wrong, and concentrated not to repeat my mistakes. In Q, I struggled with inequalities, but was able to do probability, permutation and combination and other hard questions well. I was weak in V, especially in RC. After working with Kaplan, I was able to answer OG passages. So I thought that I would do better. Apparently, I was wrong.

I am learning from the club. I see that I have more to learn. I should also figure out why I scored worse in the real test (even in Q) than my least score in practice tests. This would mean a lot, because, I think, it is equally important to know 'why I'm not scoring' and to know 'how to improve my score.'

Thank you again, for your inspiration and reply.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 10:12
Whats your score break up like
How much in quant and verbal like

say 50 in quant and 40 in verbal

The OG math level is not good enough and can be disasterously misleading

search in google for manhattan GMAT archive and you will get a word doc whose difficulty level is one level above the actual GMAT's most difficult questions

If u dont get i will forward u the same

while verbal skills are hard to develope, OG level seems to be represntative

I think you need to do deeper introspection for ur strengths and weaknesses
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:05
venky1979 wrote:
Whats your score break up like
How much in quant and verbal like

say 50 in quant and 40 in verbal

The OG math level is not good enough and can be disasterously misleading

search in google for manhattan GMAT archive and you will get a word doc whose difficulty level is one level above the actual GMAT's most difficult questions

If u dont get i will forward u the same

while verbal skills are hard to develope, OG level seems to be represntative

I think you need to do deeper introspection for ur strengths and weaknesses

This is the sad truth. The fact is, the OG and its supplement only test math up to the Q40-42 level. I know this because I have virtually memorized the OG cover to cover only to max out around the low Q40s on any GMATPrep or official Test. There is a plateau between Q42 and Q45+ that requires a certain amount of math ability that cannot be learned through any "test prep" book available.

MGMAT archives and GMAT Club challenges are the new standard if you are aiming for Q45+.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:25
Thank you Venky.

My GMAT score was 43Q and 21V.

I used OG 10th, and found that there weren't many difficult questions for Q. Since I scored 50,51 in Kaplan tests I didn't worry much. But, when I see my GMAT score and some questions here, I see that I have more to learn.

For V, I'll check with MGMAT. I should work more on it. I see that, even if I manage to get around 50 in Q, I need atleast high 30's to get a good score.

I understand that I should not become weary. And I should not skip any concept.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:31
GMATT73

My impression was the same. Working on GMAT club challenges. Thank you.
  [#permalink] 02 Nov 2006, 07:31