Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to work on weaknesses effectively???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

How to work on weaknesses effectively??? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 20:31
Dear gmatclub members,

I really need your advice.

On 4th of December I will have my 3rd GMAT and really hope to get my dream score.
My first 2 attempts were not successfull. On the last exam I scored 620, it was in 2010.
So, this 3rd attempt is my last chance :)

I have been studying for almost a year, but intensively - for last 3 months. I finished:
1) all MGMAT books
2) e-gmat CR, RC

My score on MGMAT CAT 1 is 550, Q37, V29 - this is after a long time of study.
I have less than 2 months to improve my score and get 700 but do not how to effectively work on my weaknesses on Quant and Verbal. Therefore, I need your advice on how to study effectively.

By the way, I have worked on my weaknesses on Quant before by re-reading the MGMAT books, GMAT Math book and solving tough questions from gmatclub, but do not know why my score is not improving.

Here are my weaknesses:
1) Data suff. - it takes a really long time for testing and thinking various options and only 33% of them I solved correctly
2) 700-800 - when such problems appear I don't even know how to start solving them
3) Exponents, roots - wrong and slow, cannot easily simplify them
4) Absolute value inequalities - wrong and slow
5) Coordinate plane, perpendicular lines, angles - wrong and slow
6) Divisibility - wrong and slow
7) Odds and evens - time consuming to test on DS questions
8) Combinatorics and probability - on difficult questions (700-800) I do not know from where to start solving, i.e. cannot easily find the easier way of solving
9) Statistics, Consecutive integers, sets (600-700) - wrong and slow
10) Digits, ratios (700-800) - wrong and slow

On Verbal:
1) RC (42% right), CR (64% right) - slow reading and spending great amount of time
2) SC (47% right) - it was better before on my 2 exam attempts but worsened now. Do not how to improve it in short time. I wanted to start e-gmat on it but have no time for theory, need to work on other weaknesses too.

Also, due to poor timing I end up guessing on last 3-4 questions of Quant and 5-6 questions of Verbal.

Could you please advice me how to work effectively on weaknesses?

Thank you in advance,
Tanana
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 29

Re: How to work on weaknesses effectively??? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Tanana,

I really dont think there is a scope of drastic improvement in these two months. But you can definitely imrpove depending on the level of studying you would do. I would suggest you to extensively work on the below resources and skip all other resources -

1)For Quant , use only OG, Gmat quant review and purchase an official question pack(also for verbal questions).
2)For SC, do the OG twice and read solutions for even the correct answers.
3)For CR , finish OG and then do 700-800 level ones topic wise from the GMATCLUB question bank
4)For RC, take brief notes and pratice,practice,practice and some more pratice.

Most importantly, try to view and study one thursdays with ron video everyday till the date of GMAT.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to work on weaknesses effectively??? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 21:11
Expert's post
I don't it is really about how to fix each little problem - that's pretty clear. Open the chapter in the MGMAT book or go to the eGMAT section in the course. The key is studying, addressing weaknesses, and fixing them.

I would suggest you look here too: how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html
Also this one: read-this-if-nothing-else-helps-with-your-score-180909.html

Best Regards,
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How to work on weaknesses effectively???   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2014, 21:11