Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How tough is it to find work in US as a CDN? US vs CDN MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How tough is it to find work in US as a CDN? US vs CDN MBA? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 21:10
Hi all,

I'm currently planning on going back to graduate school to pursue further studies (MBA) and I'm facing a dilemma that seems very common - whether to go for an MBA in Canada or one in the US. For comparison's sakes, let's hypothetically assume that I am realistically targeting Ivey/Rotman in Canada, and a Top 20 program in the US (UT-Austin, UNC, USC - i.e. those in the 15-20 range). Realistically, I don't see myself as competitive for H/S/W and other Top 10 programs.

I understand that as a Canadian, if I wanted to work in the US immediately after graduation, a US school would be a no-brainer. However, personal circumstances may force me to stay within Canada within the next 3-5 years or so, but I would still love to keep my options open later on 5-6 years from now if I wanted to work in the US. Is it really difficult to get a US work permit/Visa as a Canadian, and to have a company: a) hire you and b) sponsor you? Particularly without the regional recruitment that comes with a US MBA program? Or is the transition a fairly realistic option for me, particularly as a young professional with a fairly accomplished professional and educational background?

Or should I just bite the bullet and go straight for a US program, with the option of coming back to Canada to work for a couple of years, and then trying my hand at US recruiting again later on if I choose to do so?

Is it worth it to pursue a US-based Top 15-20 program, over a Top 1-2 Canadian program, as far as employability and future mobility in the US goes?

Any help from knowledgeable people who have experience or expertise relating to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: How tough is it to find work in US as a CDN? US vs CDN MBA? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 03:40
zesty wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently planning on going back to graduate school to pursue further studies (MBA) and I'm facing a dilemma that seems very common - whether to go for an MBA in Canada or one in the US. For comparison's sakes, let's hypothetically assume that I am realistically targeting Ivey/Rotman in Canada, and a Top 20 program in the US (UT-Austin, UNC, USC - i.e. those in the 15-20 range). Realistically, I don't see myself as competitive for H/S/W and other Top 10 programs.

I understand that as a Canadian, if I wanted to work in the US immediately after graduation, a US school would be a no-brainer. However, personal circumstances may force me to stay within Canada within the next 3-5 years or so, but I would still love to keep my options open later on 5-6 years from now if I wanted to work in the US. Is it really difficult to get a US work permit/Visa as a Canadian, and to have a company: a) hire you and b) sponsor you? Particularly without the regional recruitment that comes with a US MBA program? Or is the transition a fairly realistic option for me, particularly as a young professional with a fairly accomplished professional and educational background?

Or should I just bite the bullet and go straight for a US program, with the option of coming back to Canada to work for a couple of years, and then trying my hand at US recruiting again later on if I choose to do so?

Is it worth it to pursue a US-based Top 15-20 program, over a Top 1-2 Canadian program, as far as employability and future mobility in the US goes?

Any help from knowledgeable people who have experience or expertise relating to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Hi,

If you are planning on working in Canada immediately after your MBA it does make sense to enroll in a top Canadian MBA programme. After 5-6 years of work experience (given that you are hardworking and you join a multinational company) you could work towards seeking a transfer to another country (eg: USA) where your company has an office.

An MBA from the top 1 or 2 schools in Canada may infact help you get a good job with a great company in Canada itself. Once you have this first step in place- its just a matter of how you position yourself within the company to ensure you are up for global mobility.

You can also take help from professional consultants for Counseling, during counseling session the consultants will help you in selecting a list of few b schools as per your profile and requirement and can gauge your chances of getting admit in those b schools.You can visit http://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling to know more about MBA Counseling.

Please visithttp://www.general-ed.com/MBA-essay-analysis to see more about online Essay Evaluation for US and Canadian B Schools and http://www.general-ed.com/ivey-essay to see how General Ed can help you with Ivey Application (one of the top global b school on Canada).

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How tough is it to find work in US as a CDN? US vs CDN MBA? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 10:02
you need to research the nafta provisions that govern US canadian work policies and the specific job in the link below.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types ... 74.html#12
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types ... 74.html#12
Re: How tough is it to find work in US as a CDN? US vs CDN MBA?   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2012, 10:02