Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Booth, Yale, INSEAD, Ross
WE 1: Infrastructure Project-Coordinator -2 yrs
WE 2: Infrastructure Project- Planning Incharge : International Project
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 01:46
Hi,

I am currently in the final year of my engineering masters and am hoping to do my MBA from an US B-School. As my field of work requires me to put in 12-14 hours of work 6 days a week i am not sure if i can do justice to my GMAT prep once i enter the industry. I would like to know will it be prudent to write the exam now (while i am in my final year) and then work for 2 years and then apply or only write it the year before i plan to join? (Sure B-schools say that the score is valid for 5 years but do they look at such cases unfavorably while going through applications)

Regards

Auman

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 02:15
I don't know the exact answer since I'm not an adcom..
But If I'm allowed to guess, I'd say that timing (as long as it's within that 5 year frame) shouldn't be a concern.
If your score is good enough, there's no need to retake for the sake of giving the latest update.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 07:25
If you have 700+ balanced score (80/80) I wouldn't worry for timing at all. Score like that is much better, even if it is 5 years old, than 2 months old 670.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 07:42
You shouldn't have a problem. Many schools have this in their FAQs and the answer I've always seen is that they take them 5 years back.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 12

Re: How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 11:34
I think it's fairly common for scores to be 2 or 3 years old since many graduates are taking the exam during the summer before work. I know I am!
Re: How valid will my score be if i apply 3 years after the test   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2009, 11:34