Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How valuable will working in onw business firm be??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

How valuable will working in onw business firm be?? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 23:48
Hi all,

I am working for MNcs for 4 years. I want to quit my job and join my father's business (Private limited firm) which is on a pretty large scale.
I need to know if 1 or 2 years down the line i am planning to do an MBA, how much value with this experience have??

Its kinda urgent as i need to decude ASAP

Your inputs will help me a great deal

Regards,
Mohit
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: How valuable will working in onw business firm be?? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 16:54
Mohit,
If you are planning to apply this fall then you might not have significant achievements to showcase your decision was a good one. Next year, may be you do have some success stories. Before you make the switch, answer the question -
    Why do you really want to make the switch?
    Why now?
    In future, how do you plan to leverage this experience? "
    What are you planning to do differently in your father's business from how things are being done right now?

Keep in mind that since this is your father's business, you really will need to create some success stories by infusing new ideas into the business to discount the fact that it will be an easy option for you being a family business.

Curious as to why do you want to do an MBA when you have a family business which is on a 'pretty large scale'?

MohitGarg wrote:
Hi all,

I am working for MNcs for 4 years. I want to quit my job and join my father's business (Private limited firm) which is on a pretty large scale.
I need to know if 1 or 2 years down the line i am planning to do an MBA, how much value with this experience have??

Regards,
Mohit

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: How valuable will working in onw business firm be?? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 00:48
IndusMinds wrote:
Mohit,
If you are planning to apply this fall then you might not have significant achievements to showcase your decision was a good one. Next year, may be you do have some success stories. Before you make the switch, answer the question -
    Why do you really want to make the switch?
    Why now?
    In future, how do you plan to leverage this experience? "
    What are you planning to do differently in your father's business from how things are being done right now?

Keep in mind that since this is your father's business, you really will need to create some success stories by infusing new ideas into the business to discount the fact that it will be an easy option for you being a family business.

Curious as to why do you want to do an MBA when you have a family business which is on a 'pretty large scale'?

MohitGarg wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,
Mohit

I want to make this switch now coz its a requirement and also because i am just a b com grad and for obvious reasons the growth in a company will be very very slow and hence i am not able to fully tap my leadership and other skills even a lil bit. I want to make more of an impact with what i do.

I want to do an MBA as i want to gain intl. exposure, add value, add technical expertise and polish myself technically and as a leader.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: How valuable will working in onw business firm be?? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 15:47
Hi Mohit -

The answer to your question depends on what the experience at your father's firm will add to your application profile.

Here are some questions I would consider in your decision:

- Will you be gaining additional significant managerial experience that you do not currently have?
- Will you be gaining exposure to different areas of business that you do not currently have?
- Will you have mentors, beyond your father, who can help guide you and ensure you obtain experience that has depth?
- Will you be taking over this company from your father in the future, and it is important that you gain exposure to the day-to-day operations? If so, this may add a lot of value because you'll be able to reflect on your experiences within your father's company while you are completing your MBA.
- If you do make a shift, I would stay for two years. One year is not enough. Anything more than six years of experience will start to be too close to the "too much experience" category.
- If you are planning to return immediately to your father's firm upon graduation, this may be a positive in the admissions process because your post-MBA employment is already secured. Don't say this, though, if it is not true. If you want to gain experience elsewhere before returning home, be honest about this.

I hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if I can help you further.

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Re: How valuable will working in onw business firm be??   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2013, 15:47