Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 08:36
Are many potential MBA employers in the US familiar with INSEAD?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 16:27
School is well known. Alumni base is smaller compared to U.S. schools.
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 09:47
levfin2003 wrote:
School is well known. Alumni base is smaller compared to U.S. schools.

But go in with your eyes open about the fact that is much more difficult to break into the US market compared to a similar school in the USA.

in 2008 - only 4-5% of the class ended up in NA.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 13:58
tan888 wrote:
Are many potential MBA employers in the US familiar with INSEAD?

It's really not well known. The school itself doesn't carry a lot of weight in the US. We're pretty US-centric society (pun on United states and us). I think people in the know of MBA programs rank it highly, but with all the top schools being in the US, non-MBA recruiters won't know who you are.

I'm on the west coast, which school brand means the least. Maybe a little stronger on the east coast.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 16:38
good to know...i want to apply here
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 16:51
AspiringSloanie wrote:
good to know...i want to apply here

do it ... I think INSEAD should give me some dough ... I have been responsible for at least a handful of addtl apps :lol:

In all seriousness, I am yet to meet anyone at INSEAD who had a less than stellar experience. It is one of a kinda, get way outside your comfort zone moment in your life.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 22:09
generally speaking INSEAD is less well than its equivalent calibre US schools and perhaps even less well known than US schools of arguably slightly lower calibre. I think INSEAD is aware of this and this will change as they have opened a marketing office in the US recently (I believe in New York).

Having said that, if you're concern is whether you can land a job in the US, it is definitely possible. If you read some student blogs from INSEAD you'll notice many of them get jobs in the US, an ex-colleague of mine who graduated in 09D and is headed to the states now for work. What is more of a concern is really your visa. US schools primarily consist of US citizens and hence have no visa troubles. If you are a INSEAD student chances are your an Indian, Brazilian, Portugese, Australian etc etc. so a) it might be more difficult for you to get a visa and hence b) you might be slightly less attractive to companies if they have to sponsor you, vs. hiring someone of equivalent calibre directly out of say Wharton for arguments sake.

But back to brand equity, I think with schools such as INSEAD, the people that matter will know it (ie. good organisations and desirable places to work). It shouldn't really matter if your mechanic or florist knows Harvard but not INSEAD, unless of course you intend to work for him/her :) Obviously this is my personal opinion, and people put different weighting on brand/reputation.
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 17:37
I am a French citizen with a Master of Science from Northwestern and I have been working for 6 1/2 years in the US.
I definitely agree with you about the US work visa process being a huge pain...
Besides that, you will need to argue the cost of it (H1B costs about $5000 for 6 years - 3 years renewable once).
You also have to convince a recruiter that you are here to stay...

yangsta8 wrote:
generally speaking INSEAD is less well than its equivalent calibre US schools and perhaps even less well known than US schools of arguably slightly lower calibre. I think INSEAD is aware of this and this will change as they have opened a marketing office in the US recently (I believe in New York).

Having said that, if you're concern is whether you can land a job in the US, it is definitely possible. If you read some student blogs from INSEAD you'll notice many of them get jobs in the US, an ex-colleague of mine who graduated in 09D and is headed to the states now for work. What is more of a concern is really your visa. US schools primarily consist of US citizens and hence have no visa troubles. If you are a INSEAD student chances are your an Indian, Brazilian, Portugese, Australian etc etc. so a) it might be more difficult for you to get a visa and hence b) you might be slightly less attractive to companies if they have to sponsor you, vs. hiring someone of equivalent calibre directly out of say Wharton for arguments sake.

But back to brand equity, I think with schools such as INSEAD, the people that matter will know it (ie. good organisations and desirable places to work). It shouldn't really matter if your mechanic or florist knows Harvard but not INSEAD, unless of course you intend to work for him/her :) Obviously this is my personal opinion, and people put different weighting on brand/reputation.

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US?   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2012, 17:37